ADVERTISEMENT

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Goodbye Skateboarding

you can have carbon fiber everything and your mates won't even notice it.

but seriously, good luck!
    Carbon Killswitch Foamcore Devil Rey Money Hax | Tiffany Mac 10 Plasma Mega Tsunamis
    Amazon Ronin Jawbreakers| Airotica Sofa King Metal Revenge Alpha II S9 Ghost

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a_speck_of_dust View Post
    Skateboarding requires balance and gravity. Bicycling requires balance, strength, endurance, mental stability, aerodynamics, race tactics, that list goes on as well as the one above
    Skateboarding doesn't require strength or endurance? Holding a tight tuck is hard. There's also push races and LDP.
    Aerodynamics? One of the key elements in downhill skateboarding.
    Race tactics? Again, also used very much in skateboarding.

I know you're probably just ignoring those things to make a point, but your point would be more effective if you used good examples.
    Clutch Lamb Chop
    50* Calibers
    78a CS Raceforms/78a Mini Monsters

Quote Originally Posted by KKoosh View Post
    Pretty hard to kick the bucket when you're wearing one
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Rimes View Post
    Skateboard nerds, inevitably, have the best feeling skateboards.

Concrete Kahuna a_speck_of_dust's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Examples? Climb 10,000 feet above sea level, and back down to climb another 6,000 in the mountains in the course of six hours with 120 miles behind your back from the starting line and still having that last bit of sprint to finish off the two guys who want to take first place after going through that hell. There's your strength and endurance.

Aerodynamics? We all know about tucking and drafting. But you haven't heard of wheelsucking, tri-bars, spokeless wheels, coasting. You want some examples? Greg Lemond won a tour de France with tri-bar attachments and an aero helmet, which were expiremental applications in his day. Tucking wasn't invented by skateboarders either, biking requires different ways to tuck uphill, downhill, flatland, timetrials.

Race tactics? You didn't know that ten man teams are required to get their team captain to the finish line. Composed of sprinters, mountain climbers, breakers, even replacement bicycles in case captain gets a flat. People even work with the opposing side just to get to the finish line. The peloton is an aerodynamic monster of scores of cyclists working together to catch the breakaway group.

Let me rephrase my previous post. Biking is much more challenging than skateboarding. And as stated even earlier, it's apples and oranges. You can try to compare but one is obviously different (and better).
    "Courage is being scared to death, but going down that hill anyway"

Post Thanks / Like

Bicycling may require more of those things, you said that skateboarding didn't require them at all, which is what I was refuting.

One may be more in-depth, I don't consider it better though, just different. Some people prefer simplicity.
    Clutch Lamb Chop
    50* Calibers
    78a CS Raceforms/78a Mini Monsters

Quote Originally Posted by KKoosh View Post
    Pretty hard to kick the bucket when you're wearing one
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Rimes View Post
    Skateboard nerds, inevitably, have the best feeling skateboards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boxcar182 View Post
    But just remember that no feeling you will get while riding a bike, no matter how fast you're going, the feeling will never come close to that sensation of flying you get when in a tight tuck pushing 50+ m
    Nothing, except for maybe that feeling of of flying when you're in a tuck on a bike pushing 50+, or maybe even pushing 70...

Quote Originally Posted by frankie18 View Post
    Biking is ... more regulated, and more hyper-competitive than skating hopefully ever will be
    Only if you're racing...
    "Life is short, your boards don't have to be..."

Post Thanks / Like

Examples? Climb 10,000 feet above sea level, and back down to climb another 6,000 in the mountains in the course of six hours with 120 miles behind your back from the starting line and still having that last bit of sprint to finish off the two guys who want to take first place after going through that hell. There's your strength and endurance.

Aerodynamics? We all know about tucking and drafting. But you haven't heard of wheelsucking, tri-bars, spokeless wheels, coasting. You want some examples? Greg Lemond won a tour de France with tri-bar attachments and an aero helmet, which were expiremental applications in his day. Tucking wasn't invented by skateboarders either, biking requires different ways to tuck uphill, downhill, flatland, timetrials.

Race tactics? You didn't know that ten man teams are required to get their team captain to the finish line. Composed of sprinters, mountain climbers, breakers, even replacement bicycles in case captain gets a flat. People even work with the opposing side just to get to the finish line. The peloton is an aerodynamic monster of scores of cyclists working together to catch the breakaway group.

Let me rephrase my previous post. Biking is much more challenging than skateboarding. And as stated even earlier, it's apples and oranges. You can try to compare but one is obviously different (and better).
    Why are you on the Fish trying to prove cycling is better than skateboarding? Go cycle already if you love it so much. It seems pointless to argue with people on here which sport is better. I thought this thread was about leaving on good terms, in good spirit, but when you put skateboarding down you come off like a shithead.
    Last edited by LaneMeyer; 05-01-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    "Yeah, we got like Grimwich Alpine Trucks, Yeah Um"

No matter how he tried, he could not break free and the worms ate into his brain
    Originally Posted by enrique60033
    I am mexican, I don't know what are you taking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Examples? Climb 10,000 feet above sea level, and back down to climb another 6,000 in the mountains in the course of six hours with 120 miles behind your back from the starting line and still having that last bit of sprint to finish off the two guys who want to take first place after going through that hell. There's your strength and endurance. Aerodynamics? We all know about tucking and drafting. But you haven't heard of wheelsucking, tri-bars, spokeless wheels, coasting. You want some examples? Greg Lemond won a tour de France with tri-bar attachments and an aero helmet, which were expiremental applications in his day. Tucking wasn't invented by skateboarders either, biking requires different ways to tuck uphill, downhill, flatland, timetrials.

tri-bars^^ the one fail-safe identifier of a kook..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wawaz View Post
    tri-bars^^ the one fail-safe identifier of a kook..
    Guess that makes me a kook... Also made me the guy at the top of the podium the other week...

Last edited by msk; 05-01-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msk View Post
    Guess that makes me a kook... Also made me the guy at the top of the podium the other week...

its a pattern i've noticed for a while now- there are the few good riders who ride tri-bars, who are also skilled in bike handling, good position and physical condition.

then there there are the other 90%, dipshits commuting who have no need for tribars whatsoever and are always the ones who cause crashes on my morning commute.
    Fooser: I'm always scared when I poop in a porta-potty that a bug will fly up my anus.

Hello People: You obviously don't understand the struggles that we in the pimp industry face.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Stoke View Post
    A woman that does not support illustrious facial hair is no woman at all.

Mawd Bawss Order of the 'Fish boarderaholic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oiledwonk View Post
    People quit skating every day. Don't have a problem with it. I called you a pussy for posting a goodbye. If you are no longer a skater; go persue your homo dreams of italian dudes in spandex somewhere else. Don't waste my time or anyone else on the fish. As far as my being an ass, I cannot help it, I am from NJ. Now **** off.
    Here's the deal, continue to throw out remarks like this and your time on the fish is over. Got it?
    http://www.local124.com
    http://www.780longboarding.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute379
    Knowledge is a journey, not a trip to the Quickie Mart.
    [3:55 PM] urbs: jess i love to wiggle
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
    holy ****... interweb is serious business to this broad.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing, except for maybe that feeling of of flying when you're in a tuck on a bike pushing 50+, or maybe even pushing 70...
    I've hit an 18% grade hill that was a few miles long on my road bike while in full tuck, while I wasn't clocked, I'm sure I was going 55+ if not 60, and that feeling isn't close to the rush you get when going that fast on a skateboard. There is no equivalent to the feeling of downhill skateboarding when bicycling, and trust me, I'm a cyclist, I own quite a few bikes, have done centuries, climbed thousands of feet etc. It's a great exercise and way to see places, but don't kid yourself, it can't replace downhill skateboarding or your need for speed. Or at least it couldn't for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boarderaholic View Post
    Here's the deal, continue to throw out remarks like this and your time on the fish is over. Got it?
    In reality I am a happily married professional with 2 beautiful children, a mortgage and dog. I am also very sympathetic to civil rights based issues including the plights of homosexuals, the disabled and the right of workers to engage in collective bargaining. I take evolution and global warming as fact and I am deeply concerned with the anti-intellectual movements abreast in the United States today.
    Unfortunately I also have anger management issues that I am working hard to control and this pathetic little turd somehow triggered a dark side that lay dormant, somewhere beneath the surface. If I have offended anyone on the fish (with the exception of this one particular turd) I offer my complete and total apology.
    In closing. To those out there who are skateboarders for life and not trend following wastes of carbon. Just skateboard. To quote the great Jason Jesse ""I love skateboarding so much, I wish it would die." Now piss off!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wawaz View Post
    its a pattern i've noticed for a while now- there are the few good riders who ride tri-bars, who are also skilled in bike handling, good position and physical condition.

then there there are the other 90%, dipshits commuting who have no need for tribars whatsoever and are always the ones who cause crashes on my morning commute.
    Maybe its just the areas we live in, but I rarely see anyone outside of triathletes and road racers on their TT bikes using aerobars. The vast majority of commuters I see are on flat bar road or commuting bikes, mountain bikes, and fixies....

Post Thanks / Like

In reality I am a happily married professional with 2 beautiful children, a mortgage and dog. I am also very sympathetic to civil rights based issues including the plights of homosexuals, the disabled and the right of workers to engage in collective bargaining. I take evolution and global warming as fact and I am deeply concerned with the anti-intellectual movements abreast in the United States today.
    Unfortunately I also have anger management issues that I am working hard to control and this pathetic little turd somehow triggered a dark side that lay dormant, somewhere beneath the surface. If I have offended anyone on the fish (with the exception of this one particular turd) I offer my complete and total apology.
    In closing. To those out there who are skateboarders for life and not trend following wastes of carbon. Just skateboard. To quote the great Jason Jesse ""I love skateboarding so much, I wish it would die." Now piss off!
    Well damn, you're a regular Martin Luther King Jr.

No matter how he tried, he could not break free and the worms ate into his brain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaneMeyer View Post
    Well damn, you're a regular Martin Luther King Jr.
    More like Huey P Newton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boxcar182 View Post
    I've hit an 18% grade hill that was a few miles long on my road bike while in full tuck, while I wasn't clocked, I'm sure I was going 55+ if not 60, and that feeling isn't close to the rush you get when going that fast on a skateboard. There is no equivalent to the feeling of downhill skateboarding when bicycling, and trust me, I'm a cyclist, I own quite a few bikes, have done centuries, climbed thousands of feet etc. It's a great exercise and way to see places, but don't kid yourself, it can't replace downhill skateboarding or your need for speed. Or at least it couldn't for me.
    "Don't kid yourself"?!? Keep in mind that not everybody is into the same things. DH is probably the least interesting skating discipline for me, I'd much rather try to hit 70 on my bike. If I'm going downhill on a board, I'd much rather be dodging cones than in a tuck...

Post Thanks / Like

More like Huey P Newton.
    Wow.. OK?!? Huey helped found the Black Panthers, what have you done besides come on the fish and call someone a pussy, and claim your sympathy for civil rights? In delusion much?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaneMeyer View Post
    Why are you on the Fish trying to prove cycling is better than skateboarding? Go cycle already if you love it so much. It seems pointless to argue with people on here which sport is better. I thought this thread was about leaving on good terms, in good spirit, but when you put skateboarding down you come off like a shithead.
    Agree. Farewell threads are usually stupid to begin with, but polishing it off with declarations like "cycling is better and more challenging than skateboarding" is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Momona Boe View Post
    next time play with your balls and tell them you're kickflipping your junk

Post Thanks / Like

Got nothing to prove to you Lane. Delusional. Sure. Most of us are to some degree. Lighten up.

Concrete Kahuna a_speck_of_dust's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Apology accepted.

Sorry for the harsh feelings guys, but that's just the way it is. Biking is more challenging, I've done both so I can say which is which.
    "Courage is being scared to death, but going down that hill anyway"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS