ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Unappreciation thread

A rant thread about everything you hate from reading this forum.

I'll start off with a shout out to everybody calling any skateboard with a wheelbase longer than usual a "double-kick"
    Its 2012, kicktails have been around for decades and pretty much the same goes for the nose "kicks"...

I'm gonna start showing up at skate sessions with a battery operated circular saw to cut off the nose of every kook that says "double kick freeride board"

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Unappreciation thread

I feel bad for people with a DK Penguin.

I Un-appreciate those that create multiple threads on the same day to answer questions that have easy answers that could be found with some basic google/lurking skills.
    Go play skateboards

Skate the 505

I like to play Photography!

http://garrettgoecknerifdm.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SaucyCrackers View Post
    Has lazer eyes, we're ****ed

A Heaping Helping Of Boner Pie Order of the 'Fish bucksaw87's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't appreciate the term "freestyle" applied to longboarding.
    Along the same lines as AJ's post, I also don't appreciate modern longboarders re-writing things that have been conventional in skateboarding for a LONG time...case in point roadside/boardside bushings vs. top/bottom; "truckbase" versus "wheelbase."
    Finally, I don't appreciate the fact that $20 for bearings is far too much to spend, but it's perfectly acceptable to spend $18 on CNC'd bearing spacers.
    yes, an uber-grippy, square-lipped slalom wheel IS the best for sliding
    Quote Originally Posted by xjason11x View Post
    Jeeze people weren't joking when they said the fish was rough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87 View Post
    ...case in point roadside/boardside bushings vs. top/bottom
    I cringe everytime i hear toeside or heelside.
    I wonder who the hell started calling wheelies a manual?

Concrete Kahuna distractingphoenix's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't appreciate the term "freestyle" applied to longboarding.
    roadside/boardside bushings vs. top/bottom; "truckbase" versus "wheelbase."
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    What would you guys call it? I've got to start developing the right habit when talking to new skaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by cawlin View Post
    Sometimes it comes down to the size of your nuts, not your hardware.

A Heaping Helping Of Boner Pie Order of the 'Fish bucksaw87's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder who the hell started calling wheelies a manual?
    Tony Hawk Pro Skater...That's where the modern confusion of "wheelie" vs "manual" comes from. But, the whole "wheelie" vs. "manual" thing goes back to the dawn of skateboarding....as far as I can tell, a wheelie is strictly on flatground, whereas a manual is an ollie landed into a wheelie.

I personally can never keep FS and BS straight, since it changes all the time with the terrain you're on...It's really much easier for me to keep "heelside" and "toeside" straight, although I do realize that doesn't exactly adhere to standard skateboard terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by distractingphoenix View Post
    What would you guys call it? I've got to start developing the right habit when talking to new skaters.
    The top bushing is the one that's facing up when you're working on the board...the smaller conical that touches only the hanger. The bottom bushing is the fatter, taller one that's closest to the baseplate. It's not confusing, it was standard skateboard phrasiology for 40 years before someone in longboarding decided it was too hard to remember.

Same goes for the term "wheelbase." Yes, I know, I know, I know, the "technical" engineering/dictionary/every-other-application-on-Earth definition of wheelbase is the distance between the axles. But, skateboards don't work like that, because the wheelbase of a board changes with different types of trucks. To illustrate this point, bust out your measuring stick and set up the same board with Randals, Grizzlies, Indys, and Trackers and measure the axle-to-axle distance with each truck. It doesn't stay the same! That's why, in the 70's when things in skateboarding were getting standardized, they defined "wheelbase" in skateboarding as the distance between the inner truck holes on a deck. One guy thought that was too confusing, so he started calling the distance between the inner truck holes the "truckbase," and unfortunately, it stuck.

So, for my money, "top and bottom" and "wheelbase" are the true definitions, since they've been established in all of skateboarding, pretty much since skateboarding has existed...they weren't arbitrarily made up in the past 3 years by some dudes who don't think skateboarding existed before 1993.
    yes, an uber-grippy, square-lipped slalom wheel IS the best for sliding
    Quote Originally Posted by xjason11x View Post
    Jeeze people weren't joking when they said the fish was rough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm definitely not a fan of people who think longboarding is for "street skating rejects". They are 2 different disciplines, get over yourself.
    Want to get involved in making a set of precisions? Check out this thread: http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-skateboard-manufacturers/286860-wigitrucks-progress-thread.html

[2:50 PM] Hello People: since I care less about it, its arguably my funnest board.
    See this^? it means stop babying your boards. Shred them and have fun.
    [6:36 PM] urbs: thats why i have a big of a beer gut
    [6:36 PM] urbs: its really a weiner gut
    THC|CLUB|FOR|LYFE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wigiwagons View Post
    I'm definitely not a fan of people who think longboarding is for "street skating rejects". They are 2 different disciplines, get over yourself.
    Are you referring to those kids that say this literal sentence to me every time I'm at the skatepark "You only longboard because you suck at skateboarding" ? Because they make no ******* sense.
    illdownhill http://illdownhill.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CinnamonToastyToastCrunch View Post
    Get YOUR telling me what to do out of MY skating. And while I'm at it, get your "sport" out of my skating too.
    "If riding your deck, however feebley, gives you a stoke stiffy, you are not a poser." -Old

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Bomber View Post
    Hell hath no fury like skateboarders pissed at cops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by N3FF View Post
    Are you referring to those kids that say this literal sentence to me every time I'm at the skatepark "You only longboard because you suck at skateboarding" ? Because they make no ******* sense.
    YES
    10capsblock
    Want to get involved in making a set of precisions? Check out this thread: http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-skateboard-manufacturers/286860-wigitrucks-progress-thread.html

[2:50 PM] Hello People: since I care less about it, its arguably my funnest board.
    THC|CLUB|FOR|LYFE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a fan of people who hate certain makes of longboard, just cause one reason or for no reason at all, for example Loaded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LongboardLoui View Post
    I'm not a fan of people who hate certain makes of longboard, just cause one reason or for no reason at all, for example Loaded.
    I can sort of explain that. not so much loaded but mostly original, they make sub-quality boards for obscene prices, and original has a tendency to go blow great spots all over the place. I could go on but this isnt an original/loaded hate thread

THC|CLUB|FOR|LYFE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss the days when many of us wouldnt buy a skate product because you knew the owner of the company was an asshole.

Concrete Kahuna distractingphoenix's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally can never keep FS and BS straight, since it changes all the time with the terrain you're on.

One guy thought that was too confusing, so he started calling the distance between the inner truck holes the "truckbase," and unfortunately, it stuck.
    Shouldn't frontside/backside be the same as toeside/heelside? I don't see why it would change over terrain.

To be honest, that was the first time I've ever saw the word "truckbase". I've always considered wheelbase between inner truck holes, but my problem is that I don't know what company uses what definition of "wheelbase".

I miss the days when many of us wouldnt buy a skate product because you knew the owner of the company was an asshole.
    Still goes on today!

Quote Originally Posted by Wigiwagons View Post
    I've never gotten that vibe. Most street skaters usually acknowledge me as I skate by. I think they get the feeling that while street skaters are capable of hitting megaramps, longboarders are capable of hitting 50 mph.

Back on topic though. I'm okay with people posting threads about help with their next setup as long as their post is easy to read and they've done prior research, regardless of when they signed up. I can't stand when people who've been on this forum since 2010 post incomprehensible threads asking us to pick their next setup.

I also hate when people purposely spell things wrong. Calibrahs? Purshisions?
    Quote Originally Posted by cawlin View Post
    Sometimes it comes down to the size of your nuts, not your hardware.

Addicted Cruiser Corruptive Cheese's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by distractingphoenix View Post
    I've never gotten that vibe. Most street skaters usually acknowledge me as I skate by. I think they get the feeling that while **VERT** skaters are capable of hitting megaramps, **DOWNHILL SKATRBOARDERS** are capable of hitting 50 mph.
    Not everyone on a 33"double kick is a "street skater," just like not everyone on a board over 35" is a "downhiller."

If you can't tell, stereotypes and generalizations piss me off... (nothing personal man).

Sent via Tapatalk because I'm on the motha****in prowl
    ~Pillage~Rape~Burn~
    TEAM SLEAZY

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS