ADVERTISEMENT

Addicted Cruiser Concrete Slave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Longboarding speech!

So for my Comm109 class I want to do an informative speech about longboarding. But im not sure what perspective to take on it. How it is going green? Just a speech about all the history and etc. What do you guys think? Any tips or suggestions are taken seriously!
    If there's a hill....there is a way

Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary View Post
    I fart more courage than you have SpeedFiend...

PS~ Change that avatar to an old lady with a walker, she'd be about your real pace.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Longboarding speech!

Do part of it on how tons of awesome longboards are made inside people's garages, not from factories. If that's not going green, than I don't know what is.
    Deeznutz (waiting list): Randal 180's, Lime ZigZags (70mm/80a).
    Bomb Hills: Paris 180's, Earthwing Freeriders (70mm/84a).

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    back forth back forth while tugging on it.. (I know I'mma get sigged for saying that)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude YES! And I will more than likely mention all of these points somewhere in the speech. So facts are welcome also!

PS~ Change that avatar to an old lady with a walker, she'd be about your real pace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Night Skateboards: a 15 year old who presses his own boards.
    Soda Factory/Clutch/Airotica: hand pressed and cut decks that everyone on the fish seems to love.
    Kracked Skulls: cheap boards under $70 from a guy who started out from his garage.

I could list more, but I've got to head out for the night. I'll make a longer list of things when I get back.
    Deeznutz (waiting list): Randal 180's, Lime ZigZags (70mm/80a).
    Bomb Hills: Paris 180's, Earthwing Freeriders (70mm/84a).

back forth back forth while tugging on it.. (I know I'mma get sigged for saying that)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The greenest part of skateboarding is pushing rather than driving. Some companies like comet are using more eco-friendly glues and materials, but there is a much greater number who arent. Other than that, there are tons of chemicals that arent good for the environment used in the glues, epoxy, urethane, and probably making trucks and bearings too.
    GET GRIMY

Dei+y Longboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bomb303 View Post
    The greenest part of skateboarding is pushing rather than driving. Some companies like comet are using more eco-friendly glues and materials, but there is a much greater number who arent. Other than that, there are tons of chemicals that arent good for the environment used in the glues, epoxy, urethane, and probably making trucks and bearings too.
    I think I may actually be able to use the bad parts in that too increase the effectiveness of the pushing over driving green part of longboarding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just took a comm class...i can't provide facts like others, but i know the beginning of your speech must have an awe factor...or a hook if you will....well it just so happens that yesterday i had to describe 3 of my favorite spots in my college town and one of them i chose the parking lot where i practice slides....so if you like you can get ideas of my little paragraph here...also, if your professor allows props (mine did) then i say bring your board and gloves just to show how (assuming you made your gloves...maybe your board?) it's a cheaper/more fun way of transport.

My next spot of choice is the student parking lot behind the police station on campus. I know this may seem like it has no significance, and it doesn’t, to most people that is. I enjoy long boarding and have recently gotten into the skill of sliding. There is seemingly no better place other than a large open parking lot to practice my slides and have fun. From the crisp air to the crusty unforgiving pavement below, every slide I pull off makes my heart race knowing that it could instantly result in some horrible road rash if I messed up. The sound of the rubber wheels of my board losing traction on the ground and skidding against their natural tendencies is a sound I’ve come to love. The feeling of virtually hovering sideways on a board that should be going forward and the experience of my hand sliding on the ground using the sliding gloves I made out of a cutting board is an experience to remember. Even when I hit a wet patch on the asphalt and my board slides out from underneath my control and I skid on my arse for a few feet all I can do is laugh it off from the rush of the experience. The flat ground also allows my to carve my board in and out giving me the fluidity feeling that made me love long boarding from the beginning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you everyone who posted info, i ended up getting a 98% on the speech!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete Slave View Post
    Thank you everyone who posted info, i ended up getting a 98% on the speech!
    nice job man

Quote Originally Posted by ocian View Post
    that spruce site has kevlar on it.. I want to make a bulletproof riot sheild with wheels so I can rob a bank then use it as a get away
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty13 View Post
    what trucks? what on earth would trucks have to do with it. Just bolt your feet to that bitch and take off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbq1928 View Post
    nice job man

Thanks dude!

I love seein other people who don't mind saying good job everyone once in a while

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98%? Nice one. Did you mention anything on the actual recycling of aluminum to make trucks or anything? Most people prefer trucks made from virgin aluminum but that's beside the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by animal chin View Post
    Hell, you could be aggressive pogo-sticking down handrails, or rollerblading, and I will still chill with you. As long as you do it like you mean it, even if you suck.

Banned Order of the 'Fish enemy combatant's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Islmi View Post
    98%? Nice one. Did you mention anything on the actual recycling of aluminum to make trucks or anything? Most people prefer trucks made from virgin aluminum but that's beside the point.
    Then they are idiots. Recycling does not damage the metal's structure, aluminium can be recycled indefinitely and still be used to produce any product for which new aluminium could have been used.

The initial refining of bauxite ore results in virgin aluminum with all sorts of impurities. When high grade aluminum alloys are produced further chemical refinement and addition of alloying metals occurs. Re-cycled aluminum is just as good as an input to this process as virgin aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Islmi View Post
    Yes I did mention that! I also mentioned how people like faltown skateboards are making decks out of recycled materials.

Quote Originally Posted by enemy combatant View Post
    Then they are idiots. Recycling does not damage the metal's structure, aluminium can be recycled indefinitely and still be used to produce any product for which new aluminium could have been used.

The initial refining of bauxite ore results in virgin aluminum with all sorts of impurities. When high grade aluminum alloys are produced further chemical refinement and addition of alloying metals occurs. Re-cycled aluminum is just as good as an input to this process as virgin aluminum.
    Wow. I didn't know that. Thats some good information.

Moderator I Support The Fish
    Order of the 'Fish
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see you did so well! Good job. I just found this thread, but as an "older" member and father, one of the plus' is also the physical fitness element it enhances, if more people would longboard for daily short "jaunts" to the store or tasks maybe the nation's obesity problem would be addressed while contributing to all the other "Green" aspects as well
    [FL_RIDER_93] 8:29 pm:edit: { removed due to [FL_RIDER_93] homophobia )
    #[green] 1:38 am: its not like this is my first time with him
    [Arcadium] 4:34 pm: i really dont care about the extra half inch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My public speaking advice: Make sure your collar is straight. Have your girl (or mom) check you out before you leave the house.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MrXG9eSYSU]YouTube - ETSU Presentation - Longboarding 11/13/2008 Part I[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIujGuo6n9U]YouTube - ETSU Presentation - Longboarding 11/13/2008 Part II[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see you did so well! Good job. I just found this thread, but as an "older" member and father, one of the plus' is also the physical fitness element it enhances, if more people would longboard for daily short "jaunts" to the store or tasks maybe the nation's obesity problem would be addressed while contributing to all the other "Green" aspects as well
    Thanks dude! And I totally agree. I used the amount of strength it takes in your core as well in all parts of your leg to hold a tuck as well as to just push while commuting. Just from comparing the muscle on my pushing cheek and my non-pushing cheek I can see how longboarding can help you become more lean and less "baby fat", for my age at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonCity View Post
    My public speaking advice: Make sure your collar is straight. Have your girl (or mom) check you out before you leave the house.
    YouTube - ETSU Presentation - Longboarding 11/13/2008 Part I
    YouTube - ETSU Presentation - Longboarding 11/13/2008 Part II
    haha I live 1000 miles away from both of those girls, but I'll have my roommate fill in. And thanks for the links

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by enemy combatant View Post

Mmhm, if not better, because no electrolysis or other preparation is required.

Aluminum was once considered more precious than gold, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by animal chin View Post
    Hell, you could be aggressive pogo-sticking down handrails, or rollerblading, and I will still chill with you. As long as you do it like you mean it, even if you suck.

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS