ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default longboard on airplane?

hey, just wondering if anybody has ever tried to bring their longboard with them as carry-on on an airplane? I'm flying jet blue, hopefuly with my 37" diamond tail so just makin sure if any has ever had any probs with this. thanks!

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got back from new zealand with my chief in tow. It was too big for carry-on (i didn't try, but i just knew it would be) so i grabbed an electric guitar box from work, took the hangers and wheels off (threw them in my suitcase) and put the deck in the box. Put a bit of crumpled newspaper around it, and it was fine! Bunch of duct tape around that puppy made sure it wasn't coming open.
    "This next song is about our desperate struggle to please and chronic craving for approval. I really, really hope you like it."
    http://pbfcomics.com/archive/PBF215-...otographer.jpg
    http://pbfcomics.com/archive/PBF195-...ic_Council.jpg

I wish I was ILC.............

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea..

if you're gonna do this more often, pick up one of these used and pull the inner foam out & you got a rockin fully custamizable case for your longskates.

Also look into the TSG Flight Pack, which if they get it back in stock soon TailTap has em. Goto their site to see more pics & info..
    B A T T L E
    A X E
    W A R R I O R

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I carry my dragonfly (36 in) on an airplane all the time......I usually just throw it upside down in the overhead bins, that way people can put bags or suitcases on top of it or whatever. There's only one time its ever been a problem, because there wasn't any more room up above. I think they just threw it in the little coat closet thing they have...
    \"Oh no, Mrs Robinson. I think, I think you\'re the most attractive of all my parents friends. I mean that.\"
    --Benjamin Braddock, The Graduate

Devon & Hampshire (UK). Aljezur (Portugal)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey interesting topic. I'm taking my banana board to Sevilla (Spain for the geographically challenged.) and I heard that a lot of airlines are stopping people from carrying on skateboards because they can be used as a weapon. (Arrrgh bloody terrorism excuses AGAIN!)

Somewhere between the gutter and the curb
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedancer
    Hey interesting topic. I'm taking my banana board to Sevilla (Spain for the geographically challenged.) and I heard that a lot of airlines are stopping people from carrying on skateboards because they can be used as a weapon. (Arrrgh bloody terrorism excuses AGAIN!)
    Yep, you'll have to check it, when I went to Cologne in 2005 for the ILC meeting I took my shortie and just put it in the hold as did Lexx with his Evo, we didn't wrap them or anything and they turned up fine.
    For my trip to Oz (Hello from Melbourne) I brought my Bozi and my shortie, shoved them in a cheap snowboard bag, tied them together and wrapped them in a blanket and they were fine, just had to go in oversized luggage. Worth the hassle though.
    "When I was a little kid I used to think I had an invisible friend who was with me everywhere I went and could grant me wishes and stuff. Then I grew up and stopped going to church." - Jimmy Carr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've traveled with a shorty and a longboard, always checking them in a box without any problems. In this day and age trying to carry a board on would be a large hassle.

LDK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedancer
    A bit OT but, Sevilla is probably one of the worse places to skate. The whole city is still coblestone streets and sidewalks. Last time I was there (2001), the only place I did skate was near the newer abandoned world fair buildings on the outskirts of town.

Skateboard being used as weapons are pretty silly. Id rather use a sturdy metal pen anyday, or a sock with double d batteries in it.
    Point is, anything can be used as a weapon of you are so inclined.
    Skateboards dont even make very good blunt weapons in enclosed spaces like airplanes, you need too much room to swing them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashBoard
    I chek my nuts almost neurotically now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took my 34" Skaterbuilt pool deck onto the plane and put it in overhead on a flight from New York to Phoenix-- no problems.

Airline agents and security guards treat people differently depending on how they look. I'm a dork with glasses, so they probably assume I'm harmless. Now if Boe tried to board a plane with one of his Fatboy coffin decks, they'd probably ship him off to Gitmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we have a pretty damn big suitcase. so i just put my loaded pintail deck in with all my clothes without parts on it. kinda like a loaded sandwich
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\TNTRide.com\\\\\\\\\\\\\Triple8.co m|||||||||||||||Caliber Truck Co.//////////////PhatDeanz.com////////////////

[Wells] 7:01 pm: fifi's like the worst possible representative of the east coast
    [Wells] 7:01 pm: i'd rather have derv than that kid

Devon & Hampshire (UK). Aljezur (Portugal)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the info roodog. I wont be in the Sevilla centre but in a village 1/2 hour away. Also going over to Morocco for a while I'm taking the surfboard, but just in case there's no waves and the virgin princess doesn't put out then a skate would be nice. I've just got a reply from the airline (British airways) 23kg for all hold luggage and 6kg for hand luggage. The skate board would have to be checked in. :o( It'll be close with a surfboard too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on how much you love your longboard. I got my 55" board on as carry-on ... once. I really had to argue with the lady at baggage check-in though. My argument was that you see people wheel their baby strollers right up to the gate all the time and the fight attendents put them someplace safe during the flight, and then the strollers are right there when you land. The baggage lady's argument was that ... get this ... I could use it as a weapon!

After about 5 minutes of back-n-forth she told me I could try to take it to the gate, but if anyone asks, I was NOT to tell tham that she said it was OK. Turns out that once I got past her, nobody cared.

Since then I bought a snow-board bag. I can fit my 55" and 46" boards along with my helmet, pads, and clothes in it. I went to Las Vegas like that in February. Worked fine. There's not been much snow here in south-central Wisconsin this winter, so the winter sports stores are hurting to make sales. I picked up the snow-board bag for $30. 8)
    Gravity is my bitch.

Chi+ill / FBR ---> 'till I die.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a situation here. I am going to Austrailia and New Zealand in a few weeks. I have an old skatebag my pool board fits in and I can stuff my pads in it, but it's a pain to carry and it won't hold a longboard. Those TSG bags look great! I am going to google for one after work settles down.

I did find this a couple weeks ago:

http://www.bulldogskates.com/merch_boardbags.html

It won't hold a longboard, but I will probably be looking to skate parks more than hills when I am ever there anyway.

OFF topic, but if anyone from Sydney or Auckland reads this, shoot me an PM. I need to find some skate spots over there. I'll be with my girlfriend, and she has to work for four days in Sydney. Those days I'm skating, the others I'll be doing more couple-type stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if your just casual about it and you are traveling in the states you shouldnt have a problem. Ive taken my loaded vanguard on planes and no one has said anything except this airport security guy who wanted to skate it lol
    Loaded Vanguard, RII 180\'s, Bone Reds, Abec 11 Gumballs, Khiro Hardware

Insect Dragonfly, Seismic 155\'s, Bone Reds, Abec 11 ZigZags 80a, Khiro Hardware

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went 2 florida just maybe 3 or 4 months ago and i brought my drop carve with me on the plain and no one said anything. Now granted my plain wasnt packed so i could sit it in the seat next 2 me but no one questioned it at all, you should be fine!
    Bel Air, Maryland..... too cool for california!

Addicted Cruiser SpookTheHamster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to admit that I skipped most of the replies.

The short answer is yes, but it depends on the airline.

I flew to South Africa with SAA, who are a pretty unfriendly airline, but they let me take my Caften on as carry-on luggage, and the flight attendants put it in one of the little cupboards that they put their coats in.

Carving along the smoooooooooooooooooooth tiles they have at Heathrow was a blast.

Bouncing between Corvallis and Keizer, OR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just check in my Vangaurd when I fly. I don't even wrap it or put it in any kind of box, just wrap the tags around the trucks and turn it in.

Amtrak however is compleatly different, ie, they suck.
    I'm a man...I can change...if I have to...I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am going to chech my body board and skimboard, but i am just going to protect the rails.
    http://tinypic.com/k3kuah.jpg
    \"slide slide slide... you can with practice\"

Order of the 'Fish Crappysurfer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive carried my loaded fish and my backpack on, no problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: longboard on airplane?

I attached my Dervish to my carry on to go through security (kept them from yelling at me about having too many items), then rode it the rest of the time, and didn't encounter a single issue. I checked it plane-side for one flight, and stuck it in the little closet thing for the other.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS