ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Longboarding On Flat Ground.

Hey guys, first post. I live in Saint Petersburg, Florida. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for setups that would be good for cruising around town? I'm a big Guy (6'0" and 250), and I'm riding on a long santa cruz pintail with otang 4 prezidents and bone redz. I still have the stock trucks and bushings that came with it. "Camino" is the brand. I enjoy riding around, but I want another setup to cruise around with.
    Suggestions for every part possible would be greatly appreciated. I saw a few complete neversummers at a local skate shop, but I don't really know what to think around here. If anybody here knows any decent hills in Saint Pete, that aren't a parking garage (Jonny Law and I are NOT good friends) let me know.

Thanks for everything guys, directions around here, welcoming messages, everything is appreciated. I just want to dive into the longboarding community.

Edit: I'm using the Taptalk App for android and I didn't happen to see the sticky "Hi, I'm new Thread" Sorry for not having my post there.
    Last edited by Sinlancer; 10-26-2011 at 12:18 PM.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Longboarding On Flat Ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinlancer View Post
    Hey guys, first post. I live in Saint Petersburg, Florida. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for setups that would be good for cruising around town? I'm a big Guy (6'0" and 250), and I'm riding on a long santa cruz pintail with otang 4 prezidents and bone redz. I still have the stock trucks and bushings that came with it. "Camino" is the brand. I enjoy riding around, but I want another setup to cruise around with.
    Suggestions for every part possible would be greatly appreciated. I saw a few complete neversummers at a local skate shop, but I don't really know what to think around here. If anybody here knows any decent hills in Saint Pete, that aren't a parking garage (Jonny Law and I are NOT good friends) let me know.

Thanks for everything guys, directions around here, welcoming messages, everything is appreciated. I just want to dive into the longboarding community.
    Haha, I have the Same setup, except the trucks. Check out neversummer, really legit company, Kracked Skulls (they make a double glass board for us heavy riders), landyachtz.
    Check this.
    http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...-unite-41.html
    Maxxspeed Carbon brick/Cronins/Cannibals
    Bonzing Super Fatty/V2 Paris/Checkers

Quote Originally Posted by K-Rimes View Post
    Skateboard nerds, inevitably, have the best feeling skateboards... Can't go wrong there.
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOMEW View Post
    OP should go down to McWhinealds and get a wah burger and some french cries.
    Welcome to life.
    1/10, nice try OP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does there happen to be like standard brands of trucks? I don't know to much about all this, considering I just kinda got into it. I've been blowing paycheck to paycheck recently, all my money going towards my board. I recently just got over an injury to my Acl, so I'm ready to start learning how to carve and such.

As for the bearings, are these good enough? Ill post pics of my setup soon as I get home, if anybody is interested.

And is Santa Cruz a decent brand to start on? I've been a little afraid to losen the trucks, been doing it kinda gradually, would this board be good enough to learn to carve on?

I've heard quite a few things about "Earthwing". Do you guys know anything about that brand? I've been reading its better for us big guys, a lot of people in the big guy thread have been riding them, it seams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does there happen to be like standard brands of trucks? I don't know to much about all this, considering I just kinda got into it. I've been blowing paycheck to paycheck recently, all my money going towards my board. I recently just got over an injury to my Acl, so I'm ready to start learning how to carve and such.

As for the bearings, are these good enough? Ill post pics of my setup soon as I get home, if anybody is interested.

And is Santa Cruz a decent brand to start on? I've been a little afraid to losen the trucks, been doing it kinda gradually, would this board be good enough to learn to carve on?

I've heard quite a few things about "Earthwing". Do you guys know anything about that brand? I've been reading its better for us big guys, a lot of people in the big guy thread have been riding them, it seams.
    Yeah the'yre super legit, I personally like the Supermodel 9 Ply, a friend of mine owns one and its a pretty sweet ride.
    And as to the Santa Cruz question, definitely they're an under rated company but In my opinion they make great cruiser decks, I love my pintail.
    For the loosening your trucks parts, go at it slow, and you should be fine.

Skateboard nerds, inevitably, have the best feeling skateboards... Can't go wrong there.
    Welcome to life.
    1/10, nice try OP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SkaCruiser View Post
    Yeah the'yre super legit, I personally like the Supermodel 9 Ply, a friend of mine owns one and its a pretty sweet ride.
    And as to the Santa Cruz question, definitely they're an under rated company but In my opinion they make great cruiser decks, I love my pintail.
    For the loosening your trucks parts, go at it slow, and you should be fine.
    Should I just use the standard trucks that come with the earthwing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I just use the standard trucks that come with the earthwing?
    Totally, Indys are a really nice set of trucks,

Welcome to life.
    1/10, nice try OP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for bearings, what's the best brand to be cruising? And how often should they be cleaned and lubed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want another setup to cruise around with.
    Suggestions for every part possible would be greatly appreciated. I saw a few complete neversummers at a local skate shop, but I don't really know what to think around here. If anybody here .
    Why not set up a pumping board. One that you can ride on flat ground by just pumping without putting you foot down. You will be throwin a lot of energy into the board and it helps you learn when the wheels 'breaks traction', which will help with slides. This is bacause on some of your more vicious pumps the wheels will break traction and slide a little. There is a thread with pumping setups here:
    http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...nce-setup.html
    I keep a pumping setup in my truck in the event of having to park a long distance from my ultimate destination. I much prefer a pumping board for cruising and distance over a board that you need to push.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMonger View Post
    Why not set up a pumping board. One that you can ride on flat ground by just pumping without putting you foot down. You will be throwin a lot of energy into the board and it helps you learn when the wheels 'breaks traction', which will help with slides. This is bacause on some of your more vicious pumps the wheels will break traction and slide a little. There is a thread with pumping setups here:
    http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...nce-setup.html
    I keep a pumping setup in my truck in the event of having to park a long distance from my ultimate destination. I much prefer a pumping board for cruising and distance over a board that you need to push.
    What exactly is pumping? *scratches head*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heeyyy I live in st.pete too. To answer your quistion about hills theres a pretty good hill by sweetbay on dr martin luther king jr st N and 34th ave, also around the allendale neighborhood too. but the best hills are the parking garages downtown
    Quote Originally Posted by mJoeC View Post
    I am a homosexual
    Quote Originally Posted by ace2020 View Post
    Oh god its a sarcasm?? Lol.....damn.... too many idiotic ******* kids in here. Go play with your ******* toys. This is longboarding thread. About longboard. Not some stupid ken and barbie **** from toys r us and some kids who knows no respect when talking a man. Why dont u kids go to bed. Its past bed time. U wanna joke? Go joke with ur own age. Shittt attitude!! Lol what the ****

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_(skateboarding)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cann0n View Post
    Eventually, you'll find that road rash is like herpes... the move lovin you do, the more chance you have to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkimmel View Post
    Correction:
    Eventually, you'll find that road rash is like herpes... the more protection you wear the less chance you'll get it. 8O
    Be right back... downhilling on my Earthwing Smoker with Baluts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Wacker View Post
    heeyyy I live in st.pete too. To answer your quistion about hills theres a pretty good hill by sweetbay on dr martin luther king jr st N and 34th ave, also around the allendale neighborhood too. but the best hills are the parking garages downtown
    Do you ever get In trouble with cops?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using body motion to transfer energy to the board and propel yourself forward without putting your foot on the ground
    Video: http://youtu.be/FZDL-NGb3gs
    Last edited by WaveMonger; 10-26-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: messed up video

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you ever get In trouble with cops?
    in downtown? no but usually with security guards, then I just get out of that one garage and head over to a new one and vise versa
    Quote Originally Posted by mJoeC View Post
    I am a homosexual
    Quote Originally Posted by ace2020 View Post
    Oh god its a sarcasm?? Lol.....damn.... too many idiotic ******* kids in here. Go play with your ******* toys. This is longboarding thread. About longboard. Not some stupid ken and barbie **** from toys r us and some kids who knows no respect when talking a man. Why dont u kids go to bed. Its past bed time. U wanna joke? Go joke with ur own age. Shittt attitude!! Lol what the ****

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, Is it safe for a big guy like me to be pumping? I'm still a beginner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take it slow, it took me a while to finally get pumping down.

Welcome to life.
    1/10, nice try OP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for bearings, what's the best brand to be cruising? And how often should they be cleaned and lubed?
    Bearings probably impact your skating the very least. Get what ever's cheapest. Mile high skates and Phat deanz both have very good quality cheap bearings. Once every two months is a pretty good ballpark for cleaning bearings. If you're doing nothing but skating in the rain, you might have to do it more frequently. If you skate once a week, you're probably safe waiting quite a few months before cleaning.

When you get indys (which are probably the trucks you're going to want with an earthwing deck), upgrade your bushings. Bones hardcore bushings are pretty much the go-to bushings for tpk trucks like indys.

It's about as safe as skating regularly is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will DS View Post
    Bearings probably impact your skating the very least. Get what ever's cheapest. Mile high skates and Phat deanz both have very good quality cheap bearings. Once every two months is a pretty good ballpark for cleaning bearings. If you're doing nothing but skating in the rain, you might have to do it more frequently. If you skate once a week, you're probably safe waiting quite a few months before cleaning.

When you get indys (which are probably the trucks you're going to want with an earthwing deck), upgrade your bushings. Bones hardcore bushings are pretty much the go-to bushings for tpk trucks like indys.

It's about as safe as skating regularly is.
    Wow, thanks so much for all of the information, this place is great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double posting, I know.

Where would I look at pricing for Earthwings? Mile High only has up to 5 ply, I've read the supermodels can get up to 9 ply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double posting, I know.

Where would I look at pricing for Earthwings? Mile High only has up to 5 ply, I've read the supermodels can get up to 9 ply.
    Check out Muirskate.com, they have the Supermodel (you can choose 8 or 9 ply) complete for around $198

Welcome to life.
    1/10, nice try OP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS