ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What To do since I can't snowboard

Hi I am not able to go snowboarding this season. I was looking for an alternative to it but on land. I was thinking freebording but I live in the bay area and do not have many hills (at least I don't think so.. Can any one confirm this?) but I would be open to longboard ing as long as it would really feel like snowboarding.. I would love to freebord but am not sure if I have the right environment for it.. Can anyone confirm that the bay area doesn't have any hills that aren't really populated with cars if any1 lives around here? And f there are no hills are there an longboards thzt have a really nice snowboard feel to it.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Longskateaholic takeitallwithyou's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What To do since I can't snowboard

depends where you live cus here in sunny CA there are hills all over the place, next to the beach,in cities every where.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, people longboard on hills as well. A freeboard is just a longboard with some caster wheels and normally has slight bindings. Longboarding is better for hills. A freeboard you can do on flat ground. It'll be more like snowboarding, but you'll have very little control over it. It is not the type of thing to bomb hills on. As this is a longboarding website May I suggest a longboard over a freeboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl3rogers View Post
    Stop! Don't do that..... you'll give me an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by akork View Post
    Well... I'd tell you to go f*ck yourself, but that seems to be all you've been up to lately.
    $$$$$$$$$$

U18TINYCHATRUDEBOYSQUAD

$$$$$$$$$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

San Francisco bay area? There are incredible hills all around you. But honestly, if you pick up longboarding, you'll love it. Freeboarding is closer in nature to snowboarding, but i've tried it and like the feel of a longboard better (plus i sucked at freeboarding... lol). after all, pavement is not snow. If you try longboarding, you'll see the differences, but probably like them.
    CT Downhill Team rider in the summer, local Comet grom at school in Ithaca. Living the life.

Go Skate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can you not know if there are hills around where you live?
    Last edited by Neanderthal1; 03-07-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Deleted mean sounding post.
    Grow old disgracefully.

Moderator Shinobo Sukebo BigTreeFallHard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP, freebording is the closest you will get to emulating the snowboard feel of rocking from edge to edge.

Longboards feel slightly similar, but in all honestly skating and snowboarding are two different beasts.
    On a longboard you're using urethane wheels steered by metal trucks which rely on bushing resistance to turn in response to your weight.
    Much different than a snowboard edge. You'll still get the same feeling of gliding over the ground beneath you, but the functionality differences are very apparent.

That said, be open minded. Longboarding is a lot of fun. You'll enjoy it.
    My Fleet: Loaded: Dervish, Dancer, Fattail, Bhangra/Roggs Dancer/LBL: Komodo & OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis/Earthwing Thruster/Soda Factory Born to Hula/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AM wood 1/2 dance

Quote Originally Posted by Brute379 View Post
    The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion119net View Post
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Addicted Cruiser nuckfumbertheory's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just skate it's not the same but it's great.
    -Jeremiah

no worries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i snowboard a lot as well as longboard. ill tell you, they do not feel or act the same. mechanics are very different. specially once you get into more advanced techniques. sure you maybe be able to stop on a snowboard by going onto your edge, but sliding with a longboard is a lot more work. but, don't get me wrong, its well worth it to pick up a longboard and give it a try. when I'm dreaming about snowboarding, i find myself grabbing my longboard. and vise versa.(long island ny. no mountains near me..) just give it a try. i doubt you'll be able to quit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then can someone recommend a good longboard? I don't want to spend too much money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depends on your riding style, freeride, dh, or freestyle; LDP, a lot of different setups you can feet to each discipline. if you want a snowboard like felling i would sggest the rayne nemesis. the drop deck will keep you locked in and the board feels super surfer and has multiple disciplines if you want to det more into different disciplines. i would suggest a rayne nemesis with paris trucks and 78a classic thane zigzags. smooth surfy ride and with classic thane you can break oyut into a slide depending on if you want to freeride. good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pretty much stopped snowboarding seriously after 1 year of longboarding. I still love snowboarding, but i ******* really love bombing hills on a skateboard.
    Brandon Bean

http://valhallalongboards.com/
    http://rednik.com/

Addicted Cruiser nuckfumbertheory's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to snowboard but I moved to Florida for 2 years and came back and now I am just not likely to pick it back up. I had already been declining only going a couple of times each season if at all. I just want to skate all the time. Winter was a total bust for snow and lift tickets are wicked expensive. walking up hills to skate down is free and really wicked.

as for a cheap board the classified section o. his site is great. buy used it's great.
    -Jeremiah

no worries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B_Dubya_B View Post
    I pretty much stopped snowboarding seriously after 1 year of longboarding. I still love snowboarding, but i ******* really love bombing hills on a skateboard.
    Even though I'm a skier, not a boarder anymore, long boarding is the closest thing there is to racing on the snow...whatever you ride/ski. Skiing bores me more and more now that I'm carving and bombing hills.But I guess after going fast on snow for more than 40 years...it gets a little mundane.

I believe there is a pretty big scene out in SF, no matter what discipline

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a long standnig snowboard addict, finding myself stranded in Australia, longboarding is the closest thing to a snowboard fix you can get on asphalt (they are different, but generate the same colour of stoke). I highly recommend it.

Freebording (no A) might be more similar in feeling as you have more edge to edge control and more drift when flat balanced, the opposite of longboarding and more similar to snowboarding, but for what little I tried it was really unsatisfactory.
    It's not the same kick of snowboarding, and not the same kick of longboarding, bit of the meh of both worlds. It's also more prone to highsiding with feet locked in like a snowboard due to those goofy bindings required to operate it, except when you highside a backside you get a faceful of asphalt from 6 feet up, and it's a lot less forgiving than highsiding locked in on snow and being well padded like you are on the slopes.

If you want to bomb hills get a longboard. If you want to go on flat get a longboard and a paddle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a new board, hit up craigslist. If you are in the bay area you should find something good.

Banned Concrete Kahuna Slap Da Troll's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want something similar to snowboarding, get a Never Summer Descent with Original S6's and Earthwing Slide-A's. To me at least, longboarding feels nothing like snowboarding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Da Troll View Post
    If you want something similar to snowboarding, get a Never Summer Descent with Original S6's and Earthwing Slide-A's. To me at least, longboarding feels nothing like snowboarding.
    Hah, sounds like a fun death wish.
    My Fleet: Loaded: Dervish, Dancer, Fattail, Bhangra/Roggs Dancer/LBL: Komodo & OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis/Earthwing Thruster/Soda Factory Born to Hula/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AM wood 1/2 dance

The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Banned Concrete Kahuna Slap Da Troll's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigTreeFallHard View Post
    Hah, sounds like a fun death wish.
    Keyword there: FUN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Da Troll View Post
    Keyword there: FUN.
    Secondary keywords: "death wish"

Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go on a snowboard trip!!?? I am in December.. looking for some rad peeps to learn snowboarding and shred with!! the more stoke the more gnar shall occur!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS