ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Commuter Board (Loaded Owners)

Cliffs on bottom

I, unlike some other people, am very fortunate to live about 1 - 1 1/2 miles from my job. You know, average joe working 9-6, that's me. I kid you not, my drive to work is simply rolling out of the community, making a left, going down a straight line and making another left to my office. The pavement along the road (147th, we call it) is fairly decent. It runs all the way from my work down to my house with no obstructions, as far as I can tell. Sancho (posts here) has gone there a couple of times and gets there with no problems.

Here's the deal...Right now I've got myself a Sector 9 Phoenix board which I've changed the trucks out to RII 180s and Kryptonic Route 70 wheels. The board is a great cruiser around the community, parking lots, whatnot. However, going on the sidewalk is killer. Trust me, if I could skate down the street to work, I would. But I can't; in fear of getting run over. I'm getting nasty thumping on the sidewalk since not every slab of concrete is perfectly even. So much thumping it starts bothering my heels and hurts after a short while of riding. Not surprisingly, seeing as how my deck and wheels are kind of tough. I know that the Vanguard and Fish offer flexy decks, which seems down my aisle for my issue. They also come with Gumballs, as well. Nice and soft.

Lately I've been looking into getting another board since I'd like to try something new. I love my Sector 9 (MY FIRST BOARD!) but I want to start trying different boards. I'll be blunt, I'm not much of a custom board builder. I'm sure if I took the time and patience to gather parts and assemble, I could build a nice commuter board I could use to work everyday. Honestly, I just want to go for a complete setup that'll suit me from the get-go. Lately, I've been looking at the Loaded Vanguard and Fish boards. They seem to be getting good compliments on Silverfish and the boards themselves seem very solid. I had a chance to see the Fish and Vanguard in Cocoa Beach, FL several weeks ago. However, I couldn't try it seeing as the Longboard section was on the 3rd, topmost floor.

Let me cut the crap and cut to the chase... From personal experience and usage, do you guys consider the Loaded Fish and/or Vanguard good commuter boards to get around. Also, I fully intend on using whichever board to cruise and further myself in longboarding. Give me some feedback, Silverfishers!

Cliffs: I'm considering the Loaded Vanguard or Fish for traveling to and from work on a daily basis, and for my better being. This'll be my second board.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Commuter Board (Loaded Owners)

I've had my Vanguard a few days now. Pushing on a deck this flexy is tough at first but I'm slowly getting used to it. There's stiffer spots that won't spring back when you press your planted foot down to push. I've only tried the Fish once. I've never felt so awkward on a board. But the kicktail is great and from what I've read, everyone who has one loves it.

Bigger/softer wheels would be better for the big cracks. Or you could just gain more confidence in sharing the road. Which still sucks as much as a bad sidewalk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i personally would go with the fish over the vanguard for commuting
    i find a kick tail extremely handy for getting off curbs, popping
    over big bumps in the pavement and tic tacing around people

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i cant comment on the fish, as i have never ridden one, but i like the vanguard ok.
    i have a loaded pintail (my absolute favorite board at the moment), and i prefer it over the vanguard

in my opinion, the vanguard is too big to do any real carving, but too flexy to do go fast.

so, i would recomend the pintail. i like it much better than the vangaurd, although the fish is most likely a good choice, as everyone seems to like it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also suggest the pin, but for commuting 76mm is a little tall IMO. some 70mm zigzags sweet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't ridden one yet, but the Landyachtz Urban Assault looks like the ultimate commuter board to me....

http://www.landyachtz.com/D25.cfm?PID=139

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for shock absorbtion, check out the flexdex lineup, some of my friends are mildly obsessed with them, and i've ridden their boards, it seems with the longer ones, you wouldnt even know there were expansion joints in the pavement, they're that flexy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the vanguard and fish are totally different, if you are in tight spaces and need to do quick dodging go with the fish, it will also help you out to jump over cracks with the kicktail, the vanguard is if you have a good amount of room, i would also suggest the pintail, smaller quicker, i would go between the fish and the pintail,

but definately go with the loaded, its the only wat to go

pintail or fish
    randalls or holleys
    78a gumballs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I was about to suggest the pintail, with a 1/8" shock pad and some zigzags....Tracker rts/x 149...

You could buy the board from a site like daddiesboardshop, and then get the rest of the stuff from milehighskates.

oh, and welcome to the 'fish, reaver

I'D RATHER LIVE ON MY FEET THAN DIE ON MY FEET

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pono55
    the vanguard and fish are totally different, if you are in tight spaces and need to do quick dodging go with the fish, it will also help you out to jump over cracks with the kicktail, the vanguard is if you have a good amount of room, i would also suggest the pintail, smaller quicker, i would go between the fish and the pintail,

but definately go with the loaded, its the only wat to go

pintail or fish
    randalls or holleys
    78a gumballs

Exactly as I was thinking. I'd have an extra set of <70mm wheels on hand with the fish to change them out. You may get tired or pushing the gumballs all the time, depending on the condition of the pavement. Yeah, loaded. Ry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own a pintail and a fish, and i think the fish is the best choice for commuting.
    It's an awesome board, currently my favorite, and the tail is a great feature, very useful also to deal with cracks in the pavement.

If you get one, go with the stock Trackers RTS (or RTX/S); don't put Randals or Holeys under it or you will kill the soul that's in that board.

My 0.02$

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, as for me I recommend the Loaded Vanguard. I am myself a commuter. Before I use to take the train to school every morning, boring as hell. When I finally bought my vanguard it turned into a pleasure.. Its wonderful for commuting.. It has a flex that never makes your legs tired.

Btw check out www.longboarddirectory.com I bought my board there, half price.. They have a special deal with loaded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fish and the vanguard are awsome. You have to get used to loaded boards because of the flex, it will feel really wierd pushing ant first but you just have to put your foot more toward the nose and its fine. Also with the fish you may think it sucks at first (I did) but you have to get used to the stance eather haveing kind of a small stance without the kick tail or a bigger oe using the kick after you get used to it youll love it. For sidewalks I would recomend the Fish or Pintail the vainguard is a bit to big for sidewalks its more of a hill board.
    um wats up

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS