ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default History of Longboarding

Hey guys, I was just at the doctors earlier and i told the doctor i have been doing longboarding as a main activity and she asked me questions like what is it? and was it started from skateboarding (short boards) so that made me think i have been longboarding for about a year now and know nothing about its history such as, how did it start? when did it start? So basically I just want any information you have to give about the histoy of longboarding...
    Quote Originally Posted by slither9192 View Post
    Don't drink and drive. Smoke and fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petary791 View Post
    I gave a dude 10 massive erections, YUSSSSSS.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: History of Longboarding

I think the first longboard was made with a waterski in the 70s to further imitate a surfboard, but I'm not sure. I know all about the history of the skateboard, but as for longboards, yeah, I'd like to know too.
    Oh yeah? Well, I'll sector YOUR nine!!!

Addicted Cruiser Fishtale Boards's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sectorniner View Post
    I think the first longboard was made with a waterski in the 70s to further imitate a surfboard, but I'm not sure. I know all about the history of the skateboard, but as for longboards, yeah, I'd like to know too.
    sounds likely, i know that surfers built skateboards to imitate the waves, hence the name "sidewalk surfer." but those were like the old Nash boards which were around 20" long so i really don't know how those evolved into longer boards. i would assume that they just developed with boards that were a little bit longer than their predecessors over the 30 some years.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it was Tom Sims who rode the first longboards (water ski's with trucks and wheels) - Tom Sims, Lonnie Toft and Willi Winkels were all key players in the early years of longboarding

Post Thanks / Like

I think JEFF TATUM, "JT" should be included in the list of influential pioneer longboarders as well. Plus, he still skates and rips today.

Post Thanks / Like

People have ridden skateboards for along time....
    Some people have ridden bigger skateboards for almost as long.
    that's about it.
    Longboard is not a verb.

Post Thanks / Like

you should go to your local library and look for this book:

The concrete wave: The history of skateboarding

by Michael Brookes published in 1999

Post Thanks / Like

Watch Lords of Dogtown.

Concrete Kahuna VulgarDisplayCFH's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Skateboarding originated in Oahu, Hawaii. Surfers used skateboarding as a cross-trainer. When the waves were flat, they'd go skateboard. They would mock the moves of surfers by skimming their hand on the ground, carving fast, walking up and down the board and try to have as much flow as possible. Skateboarding wasn't even its original name. It was called Sidewalk Surfing. It wasn't until 1959 when skateboarding hit the market place. Skateboards were sold everywhere, toy stores, convenient stores, etc. The first professional boards were made by a company called Makaha. And the first fiberglass boards were made by a company called Gordan and Smith, a.k.a. G&S. But, of course, these things were very dangerous at the time. The completes, which was a plank of wood, trucks that came from rollerskates and the metal wheels that were on them. It took them a while to find out clay wheels were safer. And it took even longer to find out wheels made of urethane were not only safer, but smoother and grippier as well. Cadillac, a branch off of the skateboard company Bahne, was the first company to invent the urethane formula for skateboarding wheels. Skateboarding died for a few years after being called unsafe. It wasn't until 1973, often known as the second wave, that skateboarding became popular again. The birth of the urethane wheels brought the sport back to life. Finally companies designed trucks that were manufactured for skateboarding, such as Independent, Tracker, Gullwing and Bennett. The disciplines of the sport also rose. There was now slalom, freestyle, downhill, etc. Another discipline that came out of it was pool skating. Many skateboarders became famous. Skateboarders like Tony Alva, Jay Adams, and Bruce Logan were put into many magazines and helped shape the sport. Because of the high numbers in the sport, Florida decided to make the first skatepark. It definitely sparked the fire. Soon after that, skateparks were being built all over the country. In the late 70's, Alan Gelfand invented the "ollie" or no-hands aerial and moved skateboarding to the next level. Skateboarding started to become more rebelious. Skateboarders listen to music that was about “Anarchy” and committing crimes. Skulls were often used as a graphic on the bottom of skateboards. But safety once again became an issue. Insurance became so expensive that skatepark owners closed the parks and had them demolished. In 1980, skateboarding died another death. Three years later, in 1983, skateboarding started up again and fell in 1991. In 1993, skateboarding made a comeback. To this day, skateboarding has been a very popular sport. (Brooke)

This is in my senior ex. May or may not answer the question. I don't feel like picking through it. If someone finds anything incorrect or needs clarification, please say something.

(Brooke) is my citing... useless if you don't see the bibliography.. whatever

EDIT: This is not complete. Still looking for some more information. It needs more detail.
    Last edited by VulgarDisplayCFH; 01-30-2008 at 05:45 PM.
    DonaldM
    Photographer/Graphic Designer

http://www.theclick118.com

CONTACT ME ABOUT THE SJSU LONGBOARD CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

actually rodney mullen invented the flatground ollie i believe. i know he invented the kcikflip for sure

longboarding started off with surfers putting wheels on their boards when the waves were flat, as previously mentioned

Post Thanks / Like

This is more of a statement on where longboarding was at the time ( 1978 ), rather than a complete history, but it'll give you an idea:

Nose Wheelie: Cult of the Longboard

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtale Boards
    sounds likely, i know that surfers built skateboards to imitate the waves, hence the name "sidewalk surfer." but those were like the old Nash boards which were around 20" long so i really don't know how those evolved into longer boards. i would assume that they just developed with boards that were a little bit longer than their predecessors over the 30 some years.
    Most boards in the 60s were in the 20"-24" range, but there were some available around 36". Most boards back then had very short noses and tails, so a 36" board would've had around a 24" wheelbase...

Quote Originally Posted by Documentary
    I believe it was Tom Sims who rode the first longboards (water ski's with trucks and wheels) - Tom Sims, Lonnie Toft and Willi Winkels were all key players in the early years of longboarding
    I don't think I actually ever saw Toft on a longboard (not counting his 48" 8 wheeler kneeboard), but he was one of the very first to ride wide boards.

Tom Sims, Ed Economy, Brad Standlund, Jeff Tatum, Sam Smith, John Mather, Richard Vanderwyck, Frank Blood, Bruce Walker and Steve Monahan were some of the key players back then...

Quote Originally Posted by Tex202
    actually rodney mullen invented the flatground ollie i believe. i know he invented the kcikflip for sure
    The ollie was originally invented by (and named for) Alan Gelfand back in the mid 70s, as a vert move. Mullen came up with a flatland variation about 5 years later.

The original kickflip was invented by Curt Lindgren in '75. About a decade later, Mullen came up with the "Magic Flip", which is now what everyone calls a kickflip. There were dozens of flip tricks before Mullen, but none of them required an ollie...
    "Life is short, your boards don't have to be..."

Post Thanks / Like

google...the history of skateboarding in 1700 words

cheers

michael
    Concretewavemagazine.com

Post Thanks / Like

alright thanks guys that really helped clear things up a bit for me
    Quote Originally Posted by slither9192 View Post
    Don't drink and drive. Smoke and fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petary791 View Post
    I gave a dude 10 massive erections, YUSSSSSS.

Post Thanks / Like

Ed Economy was on of the first pros that predominantly rode longboards.

GRAVITY SKATEBOARDS | ED ECONOMY

-Michael

Tricks get applause... Style gets respect.

Addicted Cruiser Richy Carrasco's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yo , used to ride the euclid U or V and fruit bowl and watch ed Economy back in the day and Tom Sims and others bustin out on longboards at Freestyle contests. Lindgren was first with the Kickflip yrs before the Ollie , and Ty Page was doing a thing called the Ty Hop wich is a Pop shuvit before the Ollie . This era of TY Page Freeforemer Teams were riding solid oak boards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterwilliams View Post
    Watch Lords of Dogtown.
    Don't do this... and take it as a factual or complete history of skateboarding atleast.
    F*ck Those Dudes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ub6ib9 View Post
    Don't do this... and take it as a factual or complete history of skateboarding atleast.
    I haven't seen it (yet) but I think it's supposed to be pretty accurate.. but perhaps I thought he was referring to the documentary and you the movie (I've heard the movie is terribly inaccurate).

I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that longboarding/skateboarding started so surfers could 'surf' whenever they wanted to. Naturally, the boards started long, but as the incredibly heavy and stiff wood along with the small trucks and awful wheels were the only way boards were created back then.. they quickly shrunk to create the skateboard.

I thought it said that Sector 9 was really the first company to take modern technology and apply it to longboards (wide trucks, soft wheels, flexible body) and that really helped put longboarding back on the map. I looked up the history of Sector 9, Arbor, and Loaded and they all started producing longboards around '93-'95 (Sector 9 was the earliest)

I wish I knew more

Post Thanks / Like

Sims sold 36" and longer Taperkicks back in the 70's
    Powell, Vision, and Schmitt Stix sold them in the 80's and 90's
    Sector 9 was one of the first companies in the modern day longboard renaissance. Gravity as well.
    "I knew Joe Iacovelli; Joe Iacovelli was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Joe Iacovelli."

Wumbologist I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like

To necromance...

Longboarding doesnt have a "seperate" history from "shortboarding". Skateboarding was one and the same until the 80s when people started honing skate disciplines and ignoring others, obviously favoring length/width/kicks/etc...to each different style. Previous to that, people had one board and used it for everything (SHOCK!). The 90s is when popsicle decks became popular and ushered in the apex of trick skateboard technology. Obviously, longboards have survived and are more varied than ever before!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skanonymous View Post
    Just so you know, Maxxspeed offers happy endings with all of their boards. It's great seeing the owner of a company take a firm grip of his customer-base, pushing and pulling until success splatters on his face and down his chin.

Maxxspeed Skateboards

Maxxspeed "Fat Elvis"Maxxspeed GarudaMaxxspeed 24" MiniMaxxspeed Slalom V.2

Post Thanks / Like

watch anything you can find on dogtown and zboys ,its all you need to know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS