ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Lordy, Lordy if you're 40+ Come on in!

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal1 View Post
    On a separate note, another from the "You can't make this stuff up" file.

My kids had implemented "bodily function" ring tones on their cell phones. When asked what that was about besides a good laugh, the answer was both surprising and logical. It seems that the local schools will take cell phones away if they go off in class (i.e. call, text, email notifications).
    Problem solved.
    That could help me out in court, too. Excellent idea!

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMonger View Post
    Tony, I suggest you come back to surfing now, and never look back.
    I agree.

Surfing has totally retaken my heart. The sounds and smells of the sea, getting in sync with the rythm of the waves, the wild life and the floating carvy feel whilst being propelled forwards by an enormous force. Surf is too much fun not to have in your life.
    Member of Gimps-r-us

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masterkook View Post
    I agree.

Surfing has totally retaken my heart. The sounds and smells of the sea, getting in sync with the rythm of the waves, the wild life and the floating carvy feel whilst being propelled forwards by an enormous force. Surf is too much fun not to have in your life.
    And then a seal nibbles you're toes and your friend thinks it's a shark haha. I really should surf more, I live in Huntington Beach and my grandpa was a pretty well known board shaper for Lightning boards in Hawaii years ago. I snowboard and skate more than I surf ironically haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMonger View Post
    Haven't surfed since my injury, nearly a year ago. I think I could deal with it now but I am not going to pull on a winter wet-suit and test my arm in frigid conditions so it will wait until late spring. Although this could not be avoided, I try not to let this happen as whenever I have a long hiatus from surfing I always experience a moment of deep regret bordering on sadness for the sessions I have missed when I come back and am sitting in the lineup waiting for a set. Tony, I suggest you come back to surfing now, and never look back.
    @WaveMonger, where you surfing out of? Jersey beaches?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree.

I find that the immersion in water coupled with the utter and complete concentration required in surfing washes away all the problems and worries that plague every day living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripitup24 7 View Post
    @WaveMonger, where you surfing out of? Jersey beaches?
    Jersey pretty much all the time. Before I got married I would travel north New England and south to Hatteras. Been to Barbados 8 times.
    Never Summer Reaper 10/10
    OG Knuckle Duster 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Real men only use one bolt per truck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree.

Always wanted to learn, but never knew anyone that surfed. Now that I live in Florida I really need to learn. @Dkimmel, want to cruise over to the East Coast of Fl with me for a learn to surf expedition sometime

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Moai Mooney B-)

Surfing the long flat black asphalt waves of Florida...B-)
    No Waves, No Water, No Worries

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started to get back into surfing after my 2nd elbow surgery, but the elbow kept collapsing when I went to drop in. Had another surgery after that and it's strong now. I'm a good hour+ away from the beach, and can never get there at the best times. I usually go to Huntington and try to find a spot to myself when it's not crowded, but within minutes they're peeps next to me and start giving vibes. Takes the fun out of it. Then I started enjoying skating more than surfing, it just keeps getting deeper and deeper!!
    Seriously need to start surfing again, but it's much more fun and safer to relearn with a buddy (cough cough Mesc get a board!!)
    I need a more suitable board too. Mine'a a 6'2 Channel Islands that I had in the 80's and reglassed. Doesn't float my older heavier self like it used to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My quiver favorites:
    HulaV2, Clutch Jefferson (all my Soda), Subsonic Vega, S9 Lacey, Ronins, Skaterbuilt Cult Parkrider, G|Bomb!
    "A great beginning is sometimes at the point you thought would be the end of everything"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony09 View Post
    I started to get back into surfing after my 2nd elbow surgery, but the elbow kept collapsing when I went to drop in. Had another surgery after that and it's strong now. I'm a good hour+ away from the beach, and can never get there at the best times. I usually go to Huntington and try to find a spot to myself when it's not crowded, but within minutes they're peeps next to me and start giving vibes. Takes the fun out of it. Then I started enjoying skating more than surfing, it just keeps getting deeper and deeper!!
    Seriously need to start surfing again, but it's much more fun and safer to relearn with a buddy (cough cough Mesc get a board!!)
    I need a more suitable board too. Mine'a a 6'2 Channel Islands that I had in the 80's and reglassed. Doesn't float my older heavier self like it used to...

Huntington is crowded no matter what, if you go down PCH a bit and cross the jetty right into Newport it's not crowded. I usually go in at the intersection right past Froghouse, I think it's Prospect St. Waves are usually decent and there is no crowd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really want to move someplace where I can surf more. I used to take a yearly trip to san diego when i lived in the midwest. Now that i'm on the east coast, that's gotten too expensive. I make it to the DelMarVa coast a couple times, but I wouldn't really call that surfing, it's more like practicing your pop ups. Hardly worth the 2 hours drive.

I wish my boss would get back to me on if i can transfer to CA and work out of our office there :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya man...sounds good! Got my eye on a board and suit....Name:  surfing-in-us-west-coast-after-fukushima.gif
Views: 213
Size:  40.2 KB
    Want 2013-2014 WolfShark, have a deck and wheels to trade for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I surf the dutch North sea. Takes me 45mins to get to the water. Despite mediocre conditions and the commute it's worth it all the way...
    Member of Gimps-r-us

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep telling myself to get out in the water more, but here in Santa Cruz, there's a massive pack of studly 24/7 types that simply out maneuver you in the lineup and as mentioned below, it's sometimes really frustrating not getting many waves, especially when you're in the right spot, but 5 guys muscle deeper into the pit and make the drop like they're in a contest. Still, I love the smell and routine of surfing and miss it. Goldman is getting the same way: We surf the streets and get reliable runs, where we'd maybe kill 2-3 hours surfing and get like 4 waves.

And where the heck is Test Monkey??? Oh TMU? Where B U????

This is the look of uninsured riding . . . SoundCloud.com/biffoz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mescalito71 View Post
    Ya man...sounds good! Got my eye on a board and suit....Name:  surfing-in-us-west-coast-after-fukushima.gif
    Lol I forgot about the mutant sharks!!
    Here's my stick

My quiver favorites:
    HulaV2, Clutch Jefferson (all my Soda), Subsonic Vega, S9 Lacey, Ronins, Skaterbuilt Cult Parkrider, G|Bomb!
    "A great beginning is sometimes at the point you thought would be the end of everything"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mutant Sharks? Pffft...fish smish, I'm more concerned bout Mutant Mesc!

I lived in Monterey, and some of those serfer locals were huge angry prick-o's...Always yelling or fighting w other dudes in wetsuits. Saw the crazy Hawaiian local leader dude, get beat up pretty bad; by a couple non-locals Im guessing.....Did perceive a slight attitude change after that.
    Want 2013-2014 WolfShark, have a deck and wheels to trade for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lived in Monterey, and some of those serfer locals were huge angry prick-o's...Always yelling or fighting w other dudes in wetsuits. Saw the crazy Hawaiian local leader dude, get beat up pretty bad; by a couple non-locals Im guessing.....Did perceive a slight attitude change after that.
    That's kinda how it is here, especially if you're surfing North side, but now a lot of the little grom kids just don't give a f*ck.

walking on 4 wheels I Support The Fish
    Capo di Tutti Posto
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just and FYI............not really

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could totally get into surfing if it wasn't for the water part of it...
    My Quiver?

Too many boards that I don't ride enough...

Quote Originally Posted by hochkoenig View Post
    ...spastics should stay at slalom....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I just took my work homies to Pebbz-BamBam and we were mobbing and on a particularly fast run—I had passed them both and we railed around the corner at the tee (running the stop sign of course) and there are a couple good spots to slide and scrub as well as a few driveways that are fun and I decided to hit one going a bit faster than usual and found myself rubbing the edge of the grass on the outside of my arc, then realized I was being pulled into the grass and decided to hop off . . . ran a long way, but was probably going 20+ and finally tanked just as the grass ran out and balled up on the next driveway . . . no elbow pads, so I'm bleeding all over my desk right now. Good times though! Happened on Baby Killer w/FSU's, but it was just me getting a little too jiggy and having too much fun. Woohooo!

Yeah, the vibe in the water here can get nasty pretty fast and there's actually a gang called Eastside White Power (not necessarily a surf gang, but there are some surfers in it), and they really retaliate in some messed up ways, vandalizing cars and picking fights constantly. The vibe in Santa Cruz is sometimes depressing considering how great the place is in so many other ways. Unfortunately, many of them went to school with my kid and he gets cornered by them often enough to really piss me off.
    Last edited by biffoz; 01-08-2014 at 01:31 PM.

This is the look of uninsured riding . . . SoundCloud.com/biffoz

Addicted Cruiser TokyoNewYorker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is 12 degrees... And I skated to my office on a longboard... Feels like snowboarding.

Longboard every day, never never stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my stick

The east coast gets a bad wrap, all I can say is Gulf Coast surfer's don't think we have anything to complain about and Great Lake surfers are like 'pfffft, you think you have it bad?'.
    Jersey has a decent day of surf about every 9 days on average (yes, I did averages) and you could pretty much catch a wave almost every day. Maybe a dozen times a year everything comes together and BOOM!

Name:  jersey-juice.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  56.1 KB
    Never Summer Reaper 10/10
    OG Knuckle Duster 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Real men only use one bolt per truck!

Page 2373 of 2865 FirstFirst ... 13731873227323232363236923702371237223732374237523762377238324232473 ... LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS