ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default help, with homemade longboards

hey, i am just getting into longboarding, and i love it! As of right now i have a gaint chunk of hardwood shaped like a longboard with randal RIIs on it. i m working on a real board, but was wondering if you guys could help me with some stuff. what characteristics are good for different riding styles? are there anything i should deffinatly do or not do? I know how to build um, i just want to build one thats right for me. Thanks alot.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips

I'm in the process of building my own board too. (Actually I'm almost done, I basically just have to wait for the varnish to dry.) I think the first thing you've got to do is find out what you like. Generally, bigger boards (54"+) are for cruising and nosewalks, etc..., while smaller boards are more versatile for other stuff like slalom, slides, carving and downhill, etc. The board itself is pretty important too. Really flexy boards are great for speed and downhill, because you're closer to the ground. Stiffer boards are more stable for carving and tight turns, etc... Shapes can also have alot to do with it. Pintails are (usually) great for downhill and carving because of stability, whereas a wider and more "rounded" shape (eg. Soul Carver shallowtail, etc.) is more for cruising and sidewalk surfing.

So I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. I'd suggest riding as many different kinds of boards as you can before going all out; the only way to find out what you kinda style you like is to try it out.

I guess the only thing I can suggest for making a board or whatever is to make sure you have quality wood, like 5/8" 11 ply baltic birch or something like that. The other thing is to make sure your truck holes are perfectly square with eachother and the center of the board, otherwise your board won't go straight (you'll really notice that on hills). I think the most usable and all-round length for any kind of longboard is about 48" long.

Hope this helps,

~Chris from Canada

P.S. www.soulcarver.com is a good place to look for an awesome longboard!

Post Thanks / Like

Default homemade board

Hmm, Chris has covered it already it seems. Just think what you want to use it for. If you want Kicktail etc. Wether or not you want concave on the deck, stability an response. Camber for flex in and out of turns. Or just straight flat deck for soul riding surf style. cross overs etc. I think you have a preety good idea though.

Shape well, and do it by hand. Its theraputic (I Find).

www.lushlongboards.com they do some nice stuff there.

Jones

Addicted Cruiser RabidSantaClaus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to http://www.hugh308.homestead.com/skate_launch_page.html it is a great help good luck. My board will be done soon.
    Aarg.. I am not really the Real Santa Claus, I have a hook, a taped, paper beard and some times a duct taped beard, and am an imposter who gets intoxicated easily, tired as a dog now...time for my nap

Addicted Cruiser RabidSantaClaus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

But don't use marine grade plywood, use birch or prepare to suffer the consequences.
    Aarg.. I am not really the Real Santa Claus, I have a hook, a taped, paper beard and some times a duct taped beard, and am an imposter who gets intoxicated easily, tired as a dog now...time for my nap

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tips

ur soooooooo wrong, you want a stiff board for hills and a flexy one for carving, the flexy boards make you bounce and wobble, being low helps with speed but you shouldnt be lower cause of flex, you should have a drop deck in order to be lower, and this is just my opinon but i think 42 inches is the best all around size, and never get a pintail if you are going down hills cause they are too long compared to their foot space.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Really flexy boards are great for speed and downhill, because you're closer to the ground.
    Is this a ******* joke?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: help, with homemade longboards

This thread was nine years dead, I believe the OP had his question answered waay back in 2002.

Addicted Cruiser ShipWrckedB0nes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the thread, and all it wants is to die!
    NO NECROMANCY

Quote Originally Posted by doublependy8 View Post
    I like my best friend (she's a girl) as more than a friend. I would do anything for her. Also sometimes I pee in the sink because I find it way more fun.
    ILL DOWNHILL STREET TEAM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokedforlife View Post
    This thread was nine years dead, I believe the OP had his question answered waay back in 2002.
    goddamn, hahah. didn't even notice.
    it's stoner333's fault

Post Thanks / Like

No bigs dude, it happens to the best of us.

and here's a nice necromancy picture:

Post Thanks / Like

sorry, i just thought i would help anybody who had the same question

I board in LA (Los Altos, not Los Angeles) hills, sleep in my house, then ride in the hills again.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I agree with stoner 333, if you're going for a dh board, you want a stiff (relatively) board that's low to the ground. This can be achieved with drop-thru truck mounts or drop in the board (like the rayne nemesis for example). It is also extremely hard to press a flexy board that will retain deep enough concave for downhill anyway, so it's inconvenient in the first place. Flexy boards are better for carving because they have high energy potential.

I also think pintails just plain suck. Most of them at least.
    Also I'm more for a 38-41 inch board, but it's all taste really. I think 41 is a good starting point.

-------------------------
    Rayne Hellcat
    Bear Grizzly 852's
    O'tang 83a Durians (So worn down they feel like 87)
    Bones Reds Bearings

Homemade BC Moray Copy
    Randal II 180's
    Venom Dh Bushings
    O'tang 80a Inheats
    Bones Swiss Bearings
    -------------------

I board in LA (Los Altos, not Los Angeles) hills, sleep in my house, then ride in the hills again.
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe He'll check on it sometime and realize he was wrong all along.

At some point...

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS