ADVERTISEMENT

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Official Long Distance Thread

<3LDPush
    I've traveled more in the last two years on a skateboard than I have in my life. I push more than I drive my car.

<3<3<3
    much love for distance
    BRAKE OR DIE

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about putting together a long distance board, I'm torn between the Rayne Nemesis and the Demonseed. They're basically the same right? Just different lengths. So what would you all recommend for long distance, longer or shorter?
    OWN:
    Dregs Alpine Surf - Gullwing Sidewinders - (Orange) System Martins

NEXT PROJECT:
    Rayne (Long Treks??) Demonseed - Surf-Rodz 176mm - (Purple) Orangatang Durians

Quote Originally Posted by stringtheory View Post
    Haha, I'm not trying to be mean, it's just opinions are like a-holes. We all got them, and they are all different. The only way to know what you like is to try them all. The decks, not the a-holes. 8O

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerDeluxe View Post
    Thinking about putting together a long distance board, I'm torn between the Rayne Nemesis and the Demonseed. They're basically the same right? Just different lengths. So what would you all recommend for long distance, longer or shorter?
    the demonseed is a double drop (drop deck and drop mounted) and the nemesis is just a drop deck (not drop mounted).... for a purely long distance kicking board, go for the demonseed. the lower the better. get some nice big wheels with it too.
    Custom Leather Suits
    Designed for Downhill Skating
    www.arcticboyz.com
    PM me for details!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gpc5010 View Post
    the demonseed is a double drop (drop deck and drop mounted) and the nemesis is just a drop deck (not drop mounted).... for a purely long distance kicking board, go for the demonseed. the lower the better. get some nice big wheels with it too.
    Awesome dude I didn't even notice that, thanks for the quick reply!
    OWN:
    Dregs Alpine Surf - Gullwing Sidewinders - (Orange) System Martins

NEXT PROJECT:
    Rayne (Long Treks??) Demonseed - Surf-Rodz 176mm - (Purple) Orangatang Durians

Quote Originally Posted by stringtheory View Post
    Haha, I'm not trying to be mean, it's just opinions are like a-holes. We all got them, and they are all different. The only way to know what you like is to try them all. The decks, not the a-holes. 8O

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerDeluxe View Post
    unless you are shelling out for dee-lite, both of those boards weigh a ton. if you are buying a board specifically for distance pushing, i'd consider boards specifically designed for that, like the lbl pusher or rolls rolls.

Post Thanks / Like

not a lightweight. just finished setting this up last night. hopefully i would be more comfy pushing on it, can't wait for the weekend.
    Carbon Killswitch Foamcore Devil Rey Money Hax | Tiffany Mac 10 Plasma Mega Tsunamis
    Amazon Ronin Jawbreakers| Airotica Sofa King Metal Revenge Alpha II S9 Ghost

Post Thanks / Like

looks good, got the rain grooves as well, I see.

I was doing my demonseed, it glides great - but recently went the other end using my Hustler, doesn't glide as good, but so easy up hills.

Prolly hit the Dseed this week.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks man! i am quite unsure about it's performance on slopes though, first time i've set up dual cones on a board and i got these sz trucks with Surf Keeyz too, it's pretty turny i tell you. i will know this weekend, will try to hit some stretches with slopes just to try it out. can't wait!
    Carbon Killswitch Foamcore Devil Rey Money Hax | Tiffany Mac 10 Plasma Mega Tsunamis
    Amazon Ronin Jawbreakers| Airotica Sofa King Metal Revenge Alpha II S9 Ghost

Post Thanks / Like

went about 25 miles the other day on my evo, exploring the worlds most dangerous road.

2010 rayne demonseed
    bear 852's
    75mm 83a bigzigs
    venom standard 87a

Comp Specs
    Motherboard: ASUS P867 EVO
    Cpu :Intel 17 2600k
    RAM: 16gb ddr3 corsair 1666mhz
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580 3gb
    Cooler: Corsair H60
    HDD: hitachi 320gb+1tb 7200rpm

Filming:
    Canon 5D Mark III
    24-70 mm f/2.8 L
    70-200 mm f/2.8 L
    Glide cam HD-2000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamrocket View Post
    I'm going out this weekend on a 17.5 mile board session. I have a board built for more garages and stuff so hopefully I do okay. My current setup is Rayne Vendetta, Randall 180s, Otang Stims. Do you think this setup is decent for distance or am i going to be miserable? I live in Austin, TX so we got lots of hills.

Do you suggest maybe getting a different set of wheels before I go for this distance run?
    How was your session?
    I'm planning on buying a Vendetta and setting out on a 250 mile trip. It won't be until April so I'll have pretty of time to train on it. The trip is from Tokyo to Osaka, so there will be mountains in my way. I'm not comfortable with the idea of going over 35 mph, and I want a board that i can use when I'm not LD longboarding. That's why I'm not going for a Demonseed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
    I actually just purchased Colombian Cruiser's SubSonic Pulse, but I was curious when it comes to the necessity of pushing when LDP Treks get rough, have you ridden the Century 38 from Subsonic and would that be a valuable board when it comes to needing to push?
    I speak for the minority, but Ted and I pushed these topmounts easily more than 50% of the time from Seattle to Portland over 2 days (Pulse and Mermaid). It's a trek I've made 5 years in a row now. About 134 miles the first day, and another 70 miles the second day. Have always ended the ride feeling great at the finish-- not wiped out, no balloon legs, just mix up the pushes on both sides and pump when you're able to. Packing about 15 lbs of crap in a backpack. Personally unless I have to pack more than 20 lbs in a backpack, I stick with the topmount deck I ride all the time. Basically because it doesn't spook me out to take it up to 40mph on the big hills --thats just personal preference/experience.

However, I have been on the Century, and it's one of the most comfortable lowered decks around-- really wide platform at the nose and a subtle pocket of concave, well thought out shape from guys logging lots of miles and shooting feedback to Scott-- nothing is overdone.

Quote Originally Posted by biggypop
    ...The trip is from Tokyo to Osaka, so there will be mountains in my way. I'm not comfortable with the idea of going over 35 mph,...
    That sounds sick!! I hope you're really good at footbraking. Have you been skating the highways in Japan? Any hassles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Momona Boe View Post
    next time play with your balls and tell them you're kickflipping your junk

Post Thanks / Like

Did 15miles on the DSeed today (Randal 42's + 85mm Speedvents), you know I think the weight thing is not as big an issue as peeps make it out to be - it glides so well, that it really is no more effort than a lighter taller board with smaller wheels.

The best part about the DSeed is that when you hit the big hills, and there is no room for speedchecking (riding in the shoulder on hwys), that footbreaking is so easy on that board, it allows you to bomb basically any hill without too much drama.

I would definitely reccommend the DSeed on 42+85's for distance rides on Hwy shoulders, that is where that board does well. Not so great in town, though, at least on the small hills in my neighborhood, kinda overkill for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Distance on dropdecks for the win!
    BRAKE OR DIE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aloysius View Post
    Distance on dropdecks for the win!
    but that's so counterintuitive!

Quote Originally Posted by Momona Boe View Post
    next time play with your balls and tell them you're kickflipping your junk

Post Thanks / Like

Did 21 miles yesterday on my knuckleduster with grizzlies and lemon freerides.. I think I want to do about fifty miles one day before long.
    I need a new idea for a sig.

Post Thanks / Like

but that's so counterintuitive!
    Because of pumping?

From my perspective this route is a board that runs the full gamut of terrain.
    just one, that's all I need.

That's pretty hardcore to do a hundred miles plus in a day,
    What were your wresting patterns?
    BRAKE OR DIE

Post Thanks / Like

I have done many different distance skate on many different boards, and the Dseed has treated me the best by far.

1. It's low, obviously, and unless you're a pumping legend this is crucial. I do NOT think weight is an issue. I pushed on the barge known as the DH Race for years, and even that beast wasn't a problem.

2. Despite the double drop it is a strong board. Other double drops I have ridden have weak necks, and I have a graveyard of old pushers with the front broken off.

3. The length of the Dseed's foot platform is also something I appreciate because it makes switching legs safe and easy.

4. A drawback to any dropped board is the chance of hitting the wheel with your foot when you're pushing. I usually run Randal 180s, and 25% of the time I crash is because I space out for a sec and step on my wheel. Using 150s would help this situation, and it still wouldn't make wheel bite an issue.

MORE LDP THOUGHTS:

WHEELS: I have really enjoyed Flywheels. I used a set of 90mm for over a year, and probably put 500+ miles on them. They outlasted two boards. Since they're center-set, you can flip them in addition to rotating them, so they can wear and cone evenly. I also like that they can slide because standies are my preferred method for controlling speed.

GLOVES: These are more crucial than I originally thought for distance skates. After skating for hours it's easy to space out, and all of the sudden you've hit a wet pine cone and you're on the ground. Especially with a pack on it's easy to mess yourself up, and gloves allow you to slide on your hands and (hopefully) minimize the damage to your precious, precious knees. On my first long distance skate (Salem, OR to San Fran) I brought knee pads, but I never ended up wearing them unless it was cold (warm knees = underrated).

SHOES: My favorites by far have been a pair of leather hiking boots I got at a thrift store. Thick soled, good ankle support. Skate shoes usually don't have thick enough soles, and they're really not meant for this distance business. Light weight hiking boots/running shoes would also probably be good, but i just haven't tried them. Basically, skate shoes are probably NOT the way to go.

SOCKS: Bring snowboard socks. They can keep your legs warm even when you're wearing shorts, and you'll definitely want to be wearing shorts as much as possible. They're better than long underwear because you can roll them down when you get too hot, and they take up less space.

PACK: Make sure your backpack has a good frame. None of this school bag sh!t - get a good light weight hiking backpack with a solid internal frame. I think the Longtreks website has a gear list which has more detail.

STICKERS: Bring tons of stickers from your favorite local shop or company, so you can slap em on the sign that says "Gnarly Mtn Pass, Elevation 9,420 ft". And make sure to stop at all the skate shops in the towns you pass through to get a local sticker for the bottom of your board! Recently I was driving down a stretch of highway I had skated years ago, and it was awesome to see a Longboard Larry sticker still stuck on a sign at the bottom of a crazy hill I had made it down.

COMRADE: Go with a friend. Skating for days on end by yourself is LONELY! Too bad it's hard to find people with 3 weeks to spare and a desire to skate 800 miles!

Post Thanks / Like

because standies are my preferred method for controlling speed.
    sliding your wheels makes long distance pushing sooooo much harder.
    I footbrake when the kicking wheels are on board.
    Round wheels roll better.
    I <3 flys
    My gloves use a custom cut strap-on frame, so no glove and maximum dexterity.
    Light, narrow profile shoe is nice.
    Weight distribution is very important in your backpack. No rubbing, bulky edges, long straps, clanking and jostling bottles, etc. Ventilation on your back is important too, nothing worse than having to kick home with a slimy bag on.

I have no limits keeping me from pumping. I know it's a technique enhanced by using certain setups.
    Cheers.
    BRAKE OR DIE

Wumbologist I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Im seriously contemplating tackling Yosemite this summer...ive been there 3 or 4 times, and every time ive skated it (SOOOO awesome)...but now i want to do something more. I love distance skating. I love nature. Putting them together with my best friend = dream! My only problem is ive never attempted a "real" LDP. I'll try to train myself...im in very good shape...

what would you guys suggest as a reasonable mileage a person can push per day? I was thinking of making it a 3-7 day trip...maybe 30 miles a day? 5 MPH average for 6 hours seems acheivable...yea/nay? Im trying to plan out a route.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skanonymous View Post
    Just so you know, Maxxspeed offers happy endings with all of their boards. It's great seeing the owner of a company take a firm grip of his customer-base, pushing and pulling until success splatters on his face and down his chin.

Maxxspeed Skateboards

Maxxspeed "Fat Elvis"Maxxspeed GarudaMaxxspeed 24" MiniMaxxspeed Slalom V.2

Post Thanks / Like

I am kinda new at LDP but have a few thoughts about the little experience I do have .

My first thought is about the backpacks and gear . I got this Idea by accident and wondered if any of you more experienced riders have any thoughts. I ride what I now know is called "mombo" and the other day I took my 35 lb 3 yearold son on a 4 or 5 mile trip. he sat on the back of the board with his legs wrapped around my back leg . at times it almost seemed easier to pump than if he was not on the board with me . I cant explain it other than his weight low on the board and close to the back seemed to help me get a good back truck pump even when I was concentrating on a good front truck pump.

Has anyone thought to mount their gear on the back of the board instead of using a backpack ? my thinking is that since the rear truck is the "less carvy"/"more stable truck" the weight would shifts a bit less and on a super hard pump the weight keeps the rear wheels planted firmly . now I know this would not be good for slides but all we have around here is flatland . It would also be easy on the feet and back.

I will give you my board specs but it is just my beginner board so its kind of unconventional .

Board= 41 inch Tierney Rides caster board I think "8 ply"with a 25 inch wheelbase ( if you turn it backwards it makes the front trucks under your front foot with plenty of real estate for your front foot .
    front truck = revenge
    rear truck= seismic 180 stable turn with a tiny bit of de.wedge
    my wheels are abec11 72mm retro freeride 80a

OH and I weigh about 195 so with my son on there that was 230lbs .

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS