ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Long Distance/ Downhill

Hey,

I've been thinking about getting the Landyachtz Chinook for Long Distance, Downhill, maybe some cruising? Easier way to put it, I would like a board that I could bomb some hills one day, take a peaceful cruise the next, and go a couple miles (~10-20) the next. I kind of have my heart set on this board, but I am open to suggestions.

What trucks/wheels/bearings would you guys recommend? I have searched and have not found the answer I'm looking for. I am thinking of Randal's RII 180MM trucks. I do not know what kind of angle to get or how it matters. Could anyone clarify?

As for Wheels, I thought about Abec 11 Gumballs or Orangatang In-Heats. The gumballs would be in 78a and the in-heats in orange (i think that's 80a).
    I have heard good things about Bones Reds Bearings so I think I am set with that.

This will also be my second longboard. My first longboard was/is a Joel Tudor S9 Signature Skateboard. It was really nice for a couple of cruises but uncomfortable for DH/Long Distance/ and I guess free riding?

I have searched these forums for a few months now, but I never had a reason to post until now xD

Thanks

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Long Distance/ Downhill

The Chinook should be suitable for what you're looking for although I have never ridden it. If you're looking for a board that can you can do some DH, cruising, as well as long distance then you are going to want a board that is lower to the ground so if you don't go with the chinook stay away from top mounts as they are a pain for long distance. I would also look at the LY evo, Clutch Deeznuts, look at some drop decks also as they are suitable for what you are looking for.

As far as trucks go randal 180's should be fine. The chinook is wedged +10° at the nose and -10° at the tail so I would stick with the 50° baseplates.

For wheels I would just go for some Abec 11 zig zags. They're great wheels for everything you're looking to do. If you aren't going to be doing any sliding stick with the reflex urethane but if you plan on sliding some the classic thane is a bit more forgiving. Hope this helps! Goodluck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Purple!
    Could you by any chance explain what does 'wedged' mean? and how does the degree of the baseplates matter?

I have heard the Zig Zags commonly recommended. I have also heard of the Bigzigs. Any difference with the BigZigs and Zigzags? Also, what size wheel would be to big? I dont want to have wheelbite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you look at the side view of the chinook you'll notice how the nose is angled upward (wedged) and the tail is angled downward (dewedged). Theoretically this is supposed to increase the amount of turn in the front of the board and decrease the amount of turn in the back (kind of like a car) and is supposed to make the board more stable at higher speeds. The degree of the baseplate can kind of be explained along the same lines. A 50° baseplate should have more turn and less stability at speed than a 42° baseplate. But the 42° will have less turn and more stability at speed.

Moderator Shinobo Sukebo BigTreeFallHard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The chinook is a nice board for downhill. Imo, it's very heavy for a lot of long distance pushing.
    Take a look at some of the boards by subsonic. I use my comet fsm as a good pushing and dh board, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by WillNguyen View Post
    Thanks Purple!
    Could you by any chance explain what does 'wedged' mean? and how does the degree of the baseplates matter?

I have heard the Zig Zags commonly recommended. I have also heard of the Bigzigs. Any difference with the BigZigs and Zigzags? Also, what size wheel would be to big? I dont want to have wheelbite
    To answer your questions about wedging and trucks, read through these:
    Randal Skateboard Trucks - Made In America Since 1978
    http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...-im-truck.html

Bigzigs are 75mm in diameter....zigzags are 70mm.
    Larger wheels will be better for long distance pushing and for downhill.
    My Fleet:Loaded:Dervish,Dancer,Fattail,Bhangra,Chubby Unicorn/Roggs Dancer/LBL:Komodo&OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis&Demonseed/EW Thruster/Soda B2H 1 and 2 & Crank/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AMwood 1/2 dance

Quote Originally Posted by Brute379 View Post
    The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion119net View Post
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chinook is a really solid DH board and long distance board, but if you want to do some standies etc its not that great...As for cruising it is not very agile at all making it not very enjoyable and fluid for cruising...

As for wheels get the In-Heats 80a because they are grippy, have a high roll speed and are quite high rebound. A great all round wheel which suits your riding disciplines.

For trucks if you like cast iron get caliber 50's because you can flip the hangar for DH and keep it at 50 for pushing...

Hope you found the feedback good!
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lowered platform isn't the only thing to consider with a distance board built for pushing. A super stiff DH board with aggressive bends can be just as uncomfortable as a high topmount... I've actually experienced this for myself. DH boards are wide, and can obstruct your movement to freely and easily push more miles at a time. DH boards also have aggressive contours in the standing platform and can be very uncomfortable for your feet over time. Essentially a DH board and distance rig are two completely different sides of the spectrum. I'd suggest to choose one from the other.
    BODHI SKATEBOARDS

Quote Originally Posted by XSlane View Post
    Apex 37 with S8's, Lime BigZigs and Cell Swiss Bearings. $209. Best all around deck. Period. Original Skateboards

Addicted Cruiser Corruptive Cheese's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spindrift. Drop-through for pushing, topmount for grippier downhill, either way for freeride.
    ~Pillage~Rape~Burn~
    TEAM SLEAZY

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigTreeFallHard View Post
    The chinook is a nice board for downhill. Imo, it's very heavy for a lot of long distance pushing.
    Take a look at some of the boards by subsonic. I use my comet fsm as a good pushing and dh board, personally.

To answer your questions about wedging and trucks, read through these:
    Randal Skateboard Trucks - Made In America Since 1978
    http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...-im-truck.html

Bigzigs are 75mm in diameter....zigzags are 70mm.
    Larger wheels will be better for long distance pushing and for downhill.
    Thanks for the links. I read the "Hi Kids! I'm a truck" before and didn't get it. Now that I re-read it, it made more sense.

Everyone else, thanks for help. I have decided almost everything now. What color/durometer works best for Orangatang In-Heats?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the links. I read the "Hi Kids! I'm a truck" before and didn't get it. Now that I re-read it, it made more sense.

Everyone else, thanks for help. I have decided almost everything now. What color/durometer works best for Orangatang In-Heats?
    Sure, no problem
    For what you're looking to do, I'm recommending 80a (orange).
    My Fleet:Loaded:Dervish,Dancer,Fattail,Bhangra,Chubby Unicorn/Roggs Dancer/LBL:Komodo&OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis&Demonseed/EW Thruster/Soda B2H 1 and 2 & Crank/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AMwood 1/2 dance

The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks BigTreeFallHard!

Rode my friends In-Heats (Orange) and they were really nice.
    But I am still a little fuzzy on trucks. I mean, does it really matter on the degree of trucks you have? I remember Purple saying that 50° have more turn, but are less stable. And since the Chinook changes the angle, I am assuming 42° Trucks are better for my 'hybrid' board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks BigTreeFallHard!

Rode my friends In-Heats (Orange) and they were really nice.
    But I am still a little fuzzy on trucks. I mean, does it really matter on the degree of trucks you have? I remember Purple saying that 50° have more turn, but are less stable. And since the Chinook changes the angle, I am assuming 42° Trucks are better for my 'hybrid' board.
    It's not that 50 degree trucks are unstable. They can be used for dh riding with the right setup.
    However, for added stability at higher speeds, a lower baseplate angle means that you have more leverage over your trucks.....you can lean more and the board will be less responsive.
    This is good for dh because you don't want your board to be too twitchy or to react too much as you shift your weight, which can cause an unintentional slide or crash.

Since the chinook has natural wedging, yes you will want a lower baseplate angle.
    The upturned nose will wedge the front tuck and bring it from behaving like a 42 degree one, up to at least a 52 degree one.
    Since the tail is slanted downwards, it dewedges the back truck and brings it from behaving like a 42 down into the low 30s or high 20 range (depending on the exact angle of the board).
    This stabilizes the tail of your board so that it doesn't get wobbly and tracks the front of the board. Your turning will come from your front truck primarily.

You can get 50ish degree baseplate trucks and get some angled risers to compensate...or you can get 40ish baseplate angle trucks and be fine with them.

Do you Dancer Slalom?

Los Angeles, California, United States <--(I wish.) Calgary, AB, Canada.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Re: Long Distance/ Downhill

I've seen the chinook before (and ridden the bigger cousin, evo). I dont mind it much but it's weight isnt great to push around on (especially slowing down and speeding up.) I've got a Switchblade, and i find its quite suitable like the Spindrift. If DH and long distance is what your just planning on doing, I'd prefer you'd try a switchblade, but the Chinook does what it should do. I know a friend who has an R5 for long distance and she loves it, (Anna O'neil, for those who are wondering...) I love the R5 as well. but wouldnt buy it unless if im using it for some serious DH cuz of the weight.
    So try the Switchblade, mount it how ever you like (just dont drop mount it if you got aeras or plasmas or a low centered truck. for obious reasons)
    as for trucks, Paris, Randals, even Bears are recommended for what you'd like to do. (i'm a bears person myself.)

Wheels and bearings.
    DH and long distances, zigs, big zigs, or even centrax (if you really wanna push it.) and a great set of bearings that you can trust not to seize on you (reds?).
    DH, long distance, some slides. bring a set of slide wheels. even tho the chinook isnt great at sliding, doesnt mean that standies, pendys and predrifts arent possible. just get a set of wheels you'll know they'll slide when you want them to. ie. cult classics, abec 11 freerides, or anything that isnt square lipped and for duro, 80a and above.
    Last edited by JojoBarrientos; 02-13-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: grammar, word choice, and the use of before in the beginning.
    Setups:
    Amazon, 45 Custom Death Reys
    Piranha, 45 Death-Volvers.
    Avenger, 44 Calibers/45 Wigiwagon Protos
    Epiphany, 44 Calibers/45 Wigiwagon Protos
    Royal Board Shop Team Rider
    Veema/Verve Team Rider

SUPPORT YOUR GOSH DAMN LOCAL SCENE!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS