ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Footwear for distance skating

Apologies if already been done, following on from a thread at SkateFurther, I'm interested to know waht other people are wearing? My forthcoming ride is 100 miles, 50 each day. Training ride vary between 8 miles and building up to 40 miles in a day.

What would you suggest?
    Follow The Long Push 2012 at:

FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/303916856296557
    BLOGGER http://thelongpush.blogspot.com/
    YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLongPush
    TWITTER @TheLongPush

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Footwear for distance skating

I really like Vibram Fivefingers, unless you need to footbrake, in which case, not so much. If it's not too much, you can stomp it out. If it's a lot of braking, your knees will suffer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you think you will be walking any kind of a distance than I would recommend running shoes. A neutral shoe with a flat horizontal plane if possible. Sometimes I wear my Nike LunaGlides to push in, but usually it's my nike 6.0 SB because they are so damn tough.

I have a pair of vibrams but have never pushed in them
    I like being red, please do not positive rep me.

Facebook.com/internetbully

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only ever skate now in very good running shoes and size them a whole size smaller for a very snug fit(been doing this for the last 11 months). I also use the stickiest gator or vicious grip that I can get since they are not flat soled like vans. Good running shoes you can still footbreak well with and they go a long way to keeping your feet happier when going the distance.
    Current quiver:

Roe Racing Triton medium flex, DT Poppy rear 125mm slalocybin front, trimmed 85mm 75a speedvents/road rider captains
    G-Bomb/Subsonic paramount medium flex w/double 35mm brackets,152mm poppies, 74a Electric Flywheels
    Meyers B58, DT adjustable euphorias; 80a Electric Flywheels
    7' WESTSSUP spiral rattan paddle yellow flex
    7' WESTSSUP black rattan paddle with slide tip, red flex

Longskateaholic Green Earth surfer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently, I started using my Vibram five finger footwear for my free ride and long distance. Felt like I am skating bare foot

Agree, it is best for pumping, I can completely feel my board. It is like I am one with my board
    It also changes my style of pushing, usually I strike with my heels, now I strike with the ball of my foot..

Which is more conventional or efficient way of pushing, heels or ball of feet?

Sent from my GT-I8530 using Silverfish Longboarding mobile app
    Long skate deck
    Gbomb Illuminati
    Don't trip poppy 45/20 deg
    Abec 11 lime bigzigs / atobe bonneville

Life is like a long Distance Skate. Every push, no matter how small, brings you closer to the finishing line. However, you will encounter Cramps ~ Green Earth Surfer

http://earthgreensurfer.blogspot.sg/
    https://www.facebook.com/worldonboards?ref=hl

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  21.2 KB

Sorry I forget my pictures
    Last edited by Green Earth surfer; 10-01-2013 at 01:13 AM.
    Long skate deck
    Gbomb Illuminati

Life is like a long Distance Skate. Every push, no matter how small, brings you closer to the finishing line. However, you will encounter Cramps ~ Green Earth Surfer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jika tabi.
    FS: Pocket Pistols Skates Cliff Coleman Slider MAKE AN OFFER!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimpo View Post
    Jika tabi.
    I had this crazy idea today that jika tabi could help for toesiding turning an predrifting. Have you ever tried?

I'll try myself tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sidh View Post
    I had this crazy idea today that jika tabi could help for toesiding turning an predrifting. Have you ever tried?

I'll try myself tomorrow!
    Yes, but i could never show you.
    Ninjas can never be seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually wear something comfortable with some nice padding on the inside and a flat sole, i dont use running shoes because i feel like i tear them up too fast so I wear indoor soccer shoes or some old vans that i have that are really comfortable

Addicted Cruiser UndeadUnicorn1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually just use running shoes if I'm going for a lot of distance. Other than that I like basketball shoes laced up tight. I really like the ankle support I get from that, but the running shoes have better arch support.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Earth surfer View Post
    Recently, I started using my Vibram five finger footwear for my free ride and long distance. Felt like I am skating bare foot

Agree, it is best for pumping, I can completely feel my board. It is like I am one with my board
    It also changes my style of pushing, usually I strike with my heels, now I strike with the ball of my foot..

Which is more conventional or efficient way of pushing, heels or ball of feet?

I read a great guide to proper pushing technique in a thread around here awhile back. Since I started following its advice my pushing has gotten a lot more efficient. Here it is: http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...d.php?t=291722
    Last edited by UndeadUnicorn1; 11-13-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the shoes I run with, since I'm a competitive runner. Mizuno wave universe 4, newbalance mr00 for longer distances, and some merrell vapors when I need to be more aware of my form. Pretty much all my worn out shoes I can't run in anymore are relegated to complete destruction in ldpushing. I used to run more in vibram fivefingers but they actually hinder toe spread compared to my wider single toebox shoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^nice thread bump......
    i personally have done 20+ miles in converse going from redondo to marina del rey and back.... that being said i bet running shoes would be 100x nicer on the ankle...... i might need to make a stop and pick up some cheap ones before i go to the beach again

Addicted Cruiser WizardOfDownHill2234's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually push three to five miles from home to go skate then my skating consists of pushing all around the town hitting hills, sidewalk runs, and some banks if I rode the right board that day. After I get good and tired I had over to my favorite hidden hill that none really drives on except the people that live there. Maybe I throw some Coleman's and bomb the hill a few dozen times then i skate home and pass out cold for at least ten hours. Man, I miss summer. So distance skating feels easy and normal to me, no hard work I actually get super relaxed and mellow. I get into a good groove and am happy. I probably cover forty miles in a day (on the high side). Me and a friend did some skate and exploring a few years ago and easily broke fifty. I use my skate shoes and only own skate shoes. Just get a pair of dr something gel inserts and you are good. I have never got blisters except when i used some different inserts(tossed them).

Sent from my KFTT using Silverfish Longboarding mobile app

Hillsborough, North Carolina, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an avid barefoot and minimalist footwear user and advocate I have found myself drawn to any shoes that have basically zero footbed in them; just enough to cover up the internal stitching. The downside to this however is that no matter how great the foot is on it's own, it simply was not designed to be vibrated and slammed into a rock hard surface continuously for 5-8 hours at a time (ie distance pushing)

With that being said, there are a couple of important distinctions to make. The difference between barefoot and minimalist; in the sheerest technical sense minimalist footwear is anything with less than 4mm of heel-toe drop (in some cases 8mm but thats starting to push it) whereas a barefoot shoe has 0mm. Traditionally that means something along the lines of a merrell trail glove or VFF however there is absolutely no reason you couldn't have 1/2 an inch of padding with no heel rise and still reap a good portion of the benefits of the traditional barefoot approach.

Personally I think that there is a great advantage to skate shoes and I feel much safer when I skate in them for several reasons.
    1. Is that I find footbraking to be considerably more effective with a solid gum rubber outsole (yes some retro running shoes have this type of rubber however Ill get to that next), there is a significant and measurable increase in how fast I can shed speed with an old school gum i.e vulc, vs traditional synthetic rubber outsole which=more safety because good luck doing a coleman with 25 lbs of gear on your back
    2. If I have to bail and end up sliding out on gloves and shoes I sure as heck want as much leather and as little mesh in between the tops of my feet and the road as possible (not to mention you can waterproof leather/suede skate shoes and even ones that are mixed canvas and leather.
    3. I find that there is a noticeable difference in board control (different than board feel in this case) and how easy it is to balance with a lot of extra weight and when I'm exhausted when the outsole and rand are as flat, and cover as much area as my vans. This equates to less likelyhood of veering off into traffic and less having to shift my foot around on the deck to correct my foot position between skogging cycles.

As far as cushioning goes the dr shoals reffered to by the previous post are great however gel based footbeds while not wearing out and providing lots of cushioning, do destabilize your foot, causing extra work for the teensie weenie stabilizer muscles all the way from your toes up through your legs, hips, lower back and even up into your shoulders and neck.

As an alternate I would strongly recommend orange superfeet with the plastic (expensive) bit ripped off. This provides extra cushion in place of your normal footbed, allows your foot muscles to strengthen naturally and rest in a natural state. As well as having a foam rubber forefoot pad to compensate for the extra pounding that part of your foot takes.

*Edit for clarification
    I also cry when I go over 25mph. But I think I cry due to a lifetime of rejection by those I love and not enough hugs from my parents.

This thread is like going to compton while wearing your kkk uniform and asking for everyones fried chicken recipes

That video was like if like if jesus came into my room, baked me a cake, hugged me, and left in ron weasleys flying car

I won't neg rep you, but you're the reason we can't have nice things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that for pumping, mid tops are better compared to low tops, and together with superfeet black, I don't feel as much pain especially on the arches.

Sent from my N1530 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive tended to wear skate shoes they are proven and true, but different shoes do work better for me than others. I like a shoe that is lightweight and has a moderately wide sole. I prefer a generous sole but do like a shoe that feels "snug" too
    I am an artist. My board is my brush and the road is my canvas.

I <3 sloped terrain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone got flat feet like I do ? I tried several shoes but still hurts after some distance.

What shoes u recommend for flat feets like me

Long skate deck
    Gbomb Illuminati

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Green Earth surfer View Post
    Anyone got flat feet like I do ? I tried several shoes but still hurts after some distance.

What shoes u recommend for flat feets like me

Mine is not really flat feet but before, standing/walking for just an hour leaves my feet hurting for a long time. Went to a podiatrist and he just advised me to use superfeet 3/4 black which is a hard insert and after that, I seldom have the pain. The soft insoles I was using before were not helping at all.

I u can, try to see a podiatrist.

Sent from my N1530 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rigid insoles.
    Ideally made for your feet.
    Some insoles have too much camber and can do more bad than good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS