ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My first half marathon

Hey y'all. I'm doing my first distance race in a month, and I was wondering what training tips (besides skate, skate, skate) you might have.

It is a half marathon, and skating 13 miles isn't an issue, but I'm looking for ways to get a bit faster. I'm doing some 'fartlek' style training...any other hints.

Thanks.

I'm blogging my training btw at luchaskate.com
    current longboards:

Dreg's maggie with Gullwing M1 trucks and Dreg's center set 70mm wheels.

Eastbilt Old school Longboard with Tracker trucks and Powell Mini Cubics

Eastbilt Pintail with cut-outs with Paris trucks and Abec 11 BigZigs.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My first half marathon

You probably dont want to hear it... but skate skate skate.
    Cann0n
    _________
    the duval crew
    the ian tilmann foundation | northeast florida skateboarding alliance
    ground force olympians | phantom garage assassins | keystone heights danger riders
    duval wheels | roggs | bombsquad
    riptide bushings | caliber trucks | rey trucks
    sporting-sail | light-riser | south butt slide pucks
    pistol pete productions | lyfe headwear | g7

silverfish wiki

Quote Originally Posted by skatethesprings View Post
    helmets are great, but they don't "save your life"

Moderator Shinobo Sukebo BigTreeFallHard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some great ways to go faster....

Smokescreen your opponents

You can go Warner Bros on their a$$

Introduce some everglades into your training

Or you can do this...
    My Fleet:Loaded:Dervish,Dancer,Fattail,Bhangra,Chubby Unicorn/Roggs Dancer/LBL:Komodo&OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis&Demonseed/EW Thruster/Soda B2H 1 and 2 & Crank/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AMwood 1/2 dance

Quote Originally Posted by Brute379 View Post
    The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion119net View Post
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you pushing or pumping? Regardless, don't forget core workout. If you are pumping it makes a huge difference, and pushing also strongly benefits from fit core body. Calves aren't everything! And I'd focus on back also.
    Skate, don't hate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

skate skate skate, and run run run, and swim swim swim. focus on getting a leaner and more efficient body composition any which way you prefer to train. Get comfortable doing more than 13 miles at once multiple times a week.
    I did a 26.2 mile Adrenalina last October without having skated more than 12 miles at once prior (entered just to see if I could and how my current shape stacked up against everyone else), still did moderately good overall, and far better than average skaters of my region would, though I Should have conditioned myself- Severe muscle cramps set in after the first 9 mile lap, which without I would have been able to knock far more time off.

13 miles is definitely more of a sprinting type of race environment rather than a mental strategy game, and for guys like Paul and Jeff even the 26miles seemed more like a sprint to them.
    So skate at a high intensity everytime you distance train for the full length of the course, time yourself, and better it at each attempt by taking a peak at your stopwatch around the final mile and pick your pace up if you're nearing your previous time record.
    Find out the intensity of your fast skating with a cheap heart-rate monitor, and aim to skate at that intensity for the duration of your practice.
    Add resistance in shorter practices with a backpack, or old dirty bearings. Incorporate one-legged squats whenever you're in the gym if possible, and build on your stabilizer muscles. Back training helps as well (deadlifts, pull up pyramids, rows etc.)

None of these actions I did prior (aside from gym time and skate on dirty bearings =P) but my next distance race will be with winning in mind. Though if the Measurement & Evaluation in Kinesiology and Motor Development classes I'm currently taking are enough credentials, then what I've said above should hopefully help some.

The shorter the race the more effective Pushing is over Pumping, but pumping is more energy efficient with longer races being able to switch muscle groups w/ technique change. Do incorporate pumping into your practice, great for your core.
    ....Speaking of switching, LEARN TO SKOG. I was the Only one to complete that Adrenalina going the full 26.2 miles pushing with just one leg. Yet still did better than many.
    (I learned to skog and push with both legs shortly after I arrived back home)

Hope my input helped

Race Day pics

this guy's going down next year
    Looking for Randal 125 hangers
    Complete Freebord for sale

Quote Originally Posted by tperez View Post
    Pokemon games poisoned our youth! Think about it, kids are being raised on a game where you walk into random people's houses and expect them to give you free ****!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Darrick said^^^^. Try to get out and skate as much as possible until about a week before the race. Then you can slow it down some and rest before race day. Skogging is great for long distance. Just like everything else,the more you practice doing it the easier gets(pushing with other foot). Try to get a phone app on your phone that has a gps like Runkeeper or LogYouRun. It will help you find out your pace,mileage etc. Good luck man!
    RipTide

Subsonic

Dont-Trip

SemperFi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! This is exactly the advice I was looking for (and the humor thrown in is awesome). I only had five weeks notice for the race, and I primarily skate bowls and dance so going the distance is a new experience.

I've found skogging to be a lot easier than I thought so that has been good. I'm pushing for most of the distance and just pumping when I find myself on slight downward slopes.

Today I had my first issue with heavy winds. Almost pushed me off the board a couple times, but I was able to shave a minute off my 12 mile trek so that is a positive.

I never thought about weightlifting to help. Luckily, I already have a weight training regimen, but I'd actually quit it to concentrate on the race...guess I'm back in the saddle with that again.

This is all very helpful.

Thanks again!
    current longboards:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are Skatefurther really like this thread and the blog - great mix of good tips and light-hearted banter.
    You're front paged!

Distance training! | SkateFurther

Stop by and say hi if you get the chance . Best of luck with your training!
    hereandla.wordpress.com - European longboard adventures
    skatefurther.com - The Home of Distance Skatingboarding

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think @Darrick has a lot of good advice the one thing I would change is the intensity you train at. Yes you should train hard at distance. But if you train hard all the time you will be more prone to injury. Pick a day of the week where you always have time to train and recover. On that day every week train at 10-15% under race pace for long distance. Then pick another day and go shorter distance but train at 20% above race pace. So short and fast long and moderate. Use other days to train farther than the race but at lower pace. Realize that going hard all the time means you are not recovering and can end up with injury specifically when starting doing distance. Most important have fun skating . I do a lot of long distance running and am starting to do long distance skating they seem to have a lot of correlation to each other and the one thing that kills your training more than anything is when it starts to feel like work....
    SODA
    PHAT DEANZ
    ¿?
    Mercury Bearings and Hardware
    So It Goes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, thanks for front paging me. I'm about to invest some time into your site. This looks to be some good stuff.

Second, thanks gthayerdc for the advice. This sounds like it is sound stuff. I will employ some of it this coming week.

Great way to start my Sunday morning. Thanks, y'all.
    current longboards:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just thought I'd let y'all know, I completed the half in 57:57. Not setting any records, but i was happy. Four months ago I folded my ankle and could barely walk for weeks so this old man feels pretty good about an under 1 hour 13 mile skate.

Now I'm working on a 26.2 ride.

I'm blogging about it at luchaskate.com Thanks, y'all
    current longboards:

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS