ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with the ideal 2mi push setup

I have a 2 mile push race on May 5th in Springfield,MO and was wandering what is the ideal setup for a "sprint" race and any tips for racing or even training would be appreciated too!
    Quiver: CHURCHILL NUNCHUCK w/ caliber 44s, ABEC 11 Flashbacks, Tektons. EARTHWING SMOKER w/ Indy 159's, Bear ABEC 7, ORIGINAL FREERIDE 41 Stag w/ Paris 180's Tekton bearings and Volante Checkers.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Moderator Capo di Tutti Posto BigTreeFallHard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with the ideal 2mi push setup

The best way to train is to skate, skate more, and skate again.
    Work on building up your leg muscles and getting good at pushing constantly for a 2 mile ride.
    I'd go for a low board setup with large wheels >75mm
    My Fleet: Loaded: Dervish, Dancer, Fattail, Bhangra/Roggs Dancer/LBL: Komodo & OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis/Earthwing Thruster/Soda Factory Born to Hula/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AM wood 1/2 dance

Quote Originally Posted by Brute379 View Post
    The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion119net View Post
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Concrete Kahuna distractingphoenix's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my dream setup: Subsonic Century or Raven, Mile High Skate bearings or Magic bearings with skate lube (as opposed to white lithium grease, which I use right now), Independent 215, Abec11 Flywheels 76mm. Feel free to use that. I mainly offered it as a suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by cawlin View Post
    Sometimes it comes down to the size of your nuts, not your hardware.

Post Thanks / Like

2 miles? haha If there's any experienced distance skaters there than the race will be won in like 15 minutes. If I was entering than I'd pump, but if your're looking to sprint... Ride height is less of an issue if you're only sprinting two miles. I would grab something light and quick reacting, like a EW Superglider or Sk8kings Maximus. Setup with a Tracker 149mm RTX/RTS combo, and a fast, plush 70mm wheel.
    BODHI SKATEBOARDS

Quote Originally Posted by XSlane View Post
    Apex 37 with S8's, Lime BigZigs and Cell Swiss Bearings. $209. Best all around deck. Period. Original Skateboards

Moderator Capo di Tutti Posto BigTreeFallHard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackantz 915 View Post
    2 miles? haha If there's any experienced distance skaters there than the race will be won in like 15 minutes.
    It's crazy to think that that's a helluva good time for runners too.
    I'd venture to guess that race could be over in like 8-10min if some riders push consistently at like 15mph
    My Fleet: Loaded: Dervish, Dancer, Fattail, Bhangra/Roggs Dancer/LBL: Komodo & OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis/Earthwing Thruster/Soda Factory Born to Hula/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AM wood 1/2 dance

Quote Originally Posted by Brute379 View Post
    The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion119net View Post
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like

At only 2 miles, it's more training than it is about your setup. You should train on the actual course, get a feel of the pavement, inclines, downhills, traffic etc. If you really feel the need for a good sprinting setup, I'd go superglider on bennett 6.0s, 1/4in riser, wheels no larger than 70mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude you need some good wheels. Normally when the police is chasing me in the ghetto i use this board to go fast.
    Name:  220110223093732002_t607.JPG
Views: 496
Size:  54.3 KB
    So ... this is where you put your signature?
    Quote Originally Posted by stringtheory View Post
    People get jealous when they see other people having fun without permission.
    I will be back this autumn.

Post Thanks / Like

This is pretty funny, I actually saw the video for these on longboardism the other day.
    Quiver: CHURCHILL NUNCHUCK w/ caliber 44s, ABEC 11 Flashbacks, Tektons. EARTHWING SMOKER w/ Indy 159's, Bear ABEC 7, ORIGINAL FREERIDE 41 Stag w/ Paris 180's Tekton bearings and Volante Checkers.

Post Thanks / Like

up hill push, up hill push, and more up hill push remember have fun.
    www.citysk8.com

https://www.facebook.com/citysk8

Post Thanks / Like

When you are "sprint pushing" you will get tired and sloppy much quicker than you would just regular pushing. I do not race so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I do however do a lot of fast pushing and what happens to me is I start getting tired and I start slapping the ground with my pushing foot. This causes my knee to become sore very quickly. It is basically the same thing as runners knee.

So my advice is to push smooth and long and make every push count. Do the best you can and have fun it sounds like a good time.
    Pain is just your bodies way of releasing weakness.

Post Thanks / Like

Earthwing Smoker!

However it's only 2 miles. Rock whatever you have and just keep pushing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cann0n View Post
    Eventually, you'll find that road rash is like herpes... the move lovin you do, the more chance you have to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkimmel View Post
    Correction:
    Eventually, you'll find that road rash is like herpes... the more protection you wear the less chance you'll get it. 8O
    Be right back... downhilling on my Earthwing Smoker with Baluts.

Post Thanks / Like

run a top mount on 70 or 75mm wheels. 2 miles should be under 10 minutes, and takes very little endurance. Because every one of your pushes is a "power push" you will be just as tired riding a super low board as you will on a top mount. Topmounts give you more leverage when you push, which means you can get a faster push. Plus, if its a turny course, you'll have no problem slipping out.

And you don't have to ride a toppy. Ride whatever you have on round wheels. Just don't go out and buy a super low board for the race. You won't need it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
    SELLING: 1/2" cindrich / radikal / buzzed axles ($20)
    SELLING: adjustable indeesz 177-197 ($100 w/ 2 sets of extra bearings and axles)
    <- will trade for cool ****
    SELLING or TRADING: Redrilled 2012 Lacey ($70)...

Quote Originally Posted by SantaClaus52 View Post
    That video was like if Jesus walked into my room, baked me a cake, hugged me, and left in Ron Weasly's flying car.

Post Thanks / Like

Ride on what you are the most comfortable riding and pushing around on. For example if you push on a top mount board and jump on a drop though just for the race you may have difficulty due to the change in height since your stride is used to something taller.(I did this myself and ended up looking like a fool when I bailed while pushing at the beginning of a race before.)

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, go with the biggest wheels you can (B-way Bomb was won with 97mm's), eat your steroids every morning, and push nonstop the whole time, 2 mi is very short, so sprint the hell out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have access to a gym (I hope so), then do some leg presses, work yourself up until you feel youve made progress, and skate constantly, every once and a while push yourself and do a 10+ mi skate.
    Last edited by Vugen; 04-09-2012 at 01:12 AM.

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS