ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bring back the narrow Bennett Truk (please)

Instead of hijacking (pun intended) other threads I thought I would start a new one. I know there is a LOT of interest in a narrower Bennett Truk. I have seen so many threads on how to shorten them or kingpin swaps, I know I’m not the only one out there who wants a new set of Bennett Pro or Hijacker trucks. I am certain that if Bennett would just make a truck like the Vector Stak-Trak (with a wide axle for adjusting the width – 3” to 4” would be perfect) and the “recessed king pin”…..they would sell like crazy! I would also love to see a small truk like the original Hijacker for all those new “Banana” boards being built these days. Come on Bennett fans, let our voices be heard.

"half of what I say is meaningless" (only God and myself know which half)

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Banned Order of the 'Fish enemy combatant's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bring back the narrow Bennett Truk (please)

Please continue to leave out the "Plastiflex" baseplates and jam nuts!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny. I'd like it if Bennett came out with 180mm wide trucks.
    [Loaded: Chubby Unicorn, Tesseract, Dervish Sama][LongboardLarry Komodo][Roggs: Jr Dancer, Wannabe][Rayne: Avenger, Rival, Isis]
    twitter.com/jorelle

Banned Order of the 'Fish enemy combatant's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jorelle View Post
    Funny. I'd like it if Bennett came out with 180mm wide trucks.
    That would be 7.0 in Bennett-speak. I'd like to see a Vector 6.5 myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd buy a few sets...

A Skennetts alright, but at 50 a truck I'd rather cope with 4.3's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck getting Bennett to listen to anything. A few of us have been complaining to them about their kingpin situation (splined at the weakest point and prone to snapping) for years. Dont get me wrong, Bennets are amazing trucks, I have several. Unfortunately, innovation and development havent been priorities of theirs for some time.

Wumbologist I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those trucks would be siiiiiiick. So would there DH truck but thats anothoer thread...i wish bennett was more responsive to the market. They make sick stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skanonymous View Post
    Just so you know, Maxxspeed offers happy endings with all of their boards. It's great seeing the owner of a company take a firm grip of his customer-base, pushing and pulling until success splatters on his face and down his chin.

Maxxspeed Skateboards

Maxxspeed "Fat Elvis"Maxxspeed GarudaMaxxspeed 24" MiniMaxxspeed Slalom V.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Banana board"? What year is this?

I'm older than you and have Bennetts on one of my main rides right now. Respectfully, I disagree. There are so other many good trucks these days. For instance, (and this is just one)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I love the Vite and eagerly await the Vite LDP, its a bit unfair to compare the two. Youre comparing a $30 truck to a $130 truck. Not to mention that Vites are Bennett compatible and clearly Bennett inspired.

I too wish that Bennett would respond to the market more. Theres several directions they could go (wider, narrower, precision, DH) and a lot of people would really dig it.

Concrete Kahuna CarlTheSmokingCrab's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chrome dome!!!!!
    that gave me a chuckle.
    - generic
    motion boardshop, seattle washington 206.372.5268
    Team Stepdad. Cause you hate us, and we beat you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin K View Post
    All of you noobs are MEGA bitches. I never knew vaginas could get so sandy. All of you suck. People ride what they want, how they want, when they want. Get it through your noob ass head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LDPanda View Post
    While I love the Vite and eagerly await the Vite LDP, its a bit unfair to compare the two. Youre comparing a $30 truck to a $130 truck. Not to mention that Vites are Bennett compatible and clearly Bennett inspired.

I too wish that Bennett would respond to the market more. Theres several directions they could go (wider, narrower, precision, DH) and a lot of people would really dig it.
    The Virage Vite wasn’t “clearly” inspired by the Bennett truck, it was “literally” inspired and in fact it is a very nicely done and VERY expensive copy of the Bennett Truk. I Know the Vite is far superior in some aspects but here are a few things to consider;
    1. the Bennetts are about $25 each, the Vite is $177.93 each!!
    2. the Vite is seemingly completely tunable. The Bennetts just turn better than any other (normal) truck ever made.
    3. The Bennett is practically unchanged for 35 years. They not only made history in the skateboard world they ARE THE HISTORY of the skateboard world. The Vite is about as good as it gets for the VERY VERY few people who can afford them.
    4. This thread is NOT a discussion about what is the best slalom truck.
    I am not saying I wouldn’t kill for a set of Vites but you have to admit they would be so overkill on a little old school carver. I don’t know what DUANELR meant by “Banana board"? What year is this?” and “I’m older than you” but you don’t have to be “OLD” to know the history of skateboards and that fact that lots of skaters are skating around on tiny vintage or replica skateboards. I don’t think companies like Bennett, Alva, G&S, Tunnel, Bahne, Dogtown, Z-Flex, Gravity, Madrid, Arbor, GFH, Powell, Tracker, Santa Cruz and many others, are making little “mini cruisers” because they have too much time on their hands. Then you have thousands of people making little boards like the ones they used to ride when they were kids. All these boards are in need of a narrow Bennet. I have a garage full of vintage boards and about ¼ of them had Bennett trucks mounted to them. I ride my boards and the ones I love to ride all have original Bennetts. My kids are dying for me to make some “old style” boards for them so they can carve around like daddy does. I know for a fact that my 5 kids, their friends, my friends and I would all buy a set of Bennett Hijacker reissue truks right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I for one would love a set of Bennett Pros or Stak tracks. I think they would sell like crazy.

Wumbologist I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we could always mill down the hangars/axles no? Just as a jerry-rig...IDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skanonymous View Post
    Just so you know, Maxxspeed offers happy endings with all of their boards. It's great seeing the owner of a company take a firm grip of his customer-base, pushing and pulling until success splatters on his face and down his chin.

Maxxspeed Skateboards

Maxxspeed "Fat Elvis"Maxxspeed GarudaMaxxspeed 24" MiniMaxxspeed Slalom V.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motonut, why are you trying to call me out when Im clearly agreeing with you? Let me return the favor . . .

A Vite is not an "expensive copy" of a Bennett, dont insult the ingenuity of those that worked on it. There are several unique features which differentiate Vite from Bennett including the axle system, amout of rake, spherical, pivot shape, baseplate angle, hardware channels, etc. And wtf do you mean "completely tunable?" If anything, a Bennett is more tunable than a Vite as the Vite takes two standard bushings while a Bennett needs a custom combo on bottom. And while I'm picking apart your post, there is no such thing as a "set of Vites," theyre sold individually and no one I can think of would run one in the rear, its a front truck only. Think more, skate more, talk less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LDPanda View Post
    Motonut, why are you trying to call me out when Im clearly agreeing with you? Let me return the favor . . .

A Vite is not an "expensive copy" of a Bennett, dont insult the ingenuity of those that worked on it. There are several unique features which differentiate Vite from Bennett including the axle system, amout of rake, spherical, pivot shape, baseplate angle, hardware channels, etc. And wtf do you mean "completely tunable?" If anything, a Bennett is more tunable than a Vite as the Vite takes two standard bushings while a Bennett needs a custom combo on bottom. And while I'm picking apart your post, there is no such thing as a "set of Vites," theyre sold individually and no one I can think of would run one in the rear, its a front truck only. Think more, skate more, talk less.
    Oh man.... I'm not calling anyone out and I am NOT insulting the people who build and design the Vite. The Vite is like a piece of beautiful jewelry. What I meant by "tunable" is that the Virage trucks, as a system, are tunable (different types of trucks, baseplate angles etc). How about we replace the words "expensive copy" with "a modern updated and improved version of".... Does that sound better? I started this thread for the Bennetts not Vites so when I say "a set of Vites" I mean that I would use them like I use Bennetts, to slap on a carving board and go do some sidewalk surfing. Once again this is not a Bennett VS. Vite thread. The Vite is NOT the right truck in the context of this thread. I like apples and oranges but only an idiot would try to bake a pie with orange slices. This is an argument about symantics, enough about the Vites already and can we please keep
    it on a positive note.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MotoNut,
    In my post I was quoting you and your use of "banana board". In today's vernacular it seems funny. Where I live, "banana board" is not used, and is as passe as a thirty year old truck. Longboarders in our town, unfortunately, are not buying Bennets, the norm is a reverse kingpin with soft bushings.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoNut View Post
    I don’t know what DUANELR meant by “Banana board"? What year is this?” and “I’m older than you” but you don’t have to be “OLD” to know the history of skateboards
    Being old helps know the history. And with all due respect it sounds like your love of old trucks is based on nostalgia as much as it is on functionality.
    My kids are dying for me to make some “old style” boards for them so they can carve around like daddy does.
    These are very different than the kids I skate with.

Here is picture of a board I built for myself a few months ago. I haven't owned a board this short since I was 14. It's for garages and I chose a narrow truck (comparatively speaking). Original S6's
    Eastside Longboards Mini Kicker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on a narrower Bennett.

I probably wouldn't use it much on my own setups, but I'll be putting together a couple of narrow boards that could do with some. And I have all the current sizes of Bennetts, so I'd likely relent and get some for myself eventually.

Tracker is probably the best current option for narrow boards, but I'm not keen on them as a front truck. The option of a narrow Bennett/Tracker combo would be nice.

But no acorn axle nuts or plastic baseplates this time.
    Don't Spook The Horse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by duanelr View Post
    MotoNut,
    In my post I was quoting you and your use of "banana board". In today's vernacular it seems funny. Where I live, "banana board" is not used, and is as passe as a thirty year old truck. Longboarders in our town, unfortunately, are not buying Bennets, the norm is a reverse kingpin with soft bushings.

Being old helps know the history. And with all due respect it sounds like your love of old trucks is based on nostalgia as much as it is on functionality.

These are very different than the kids I skate with.

Here is picture of a board I built for myself a few months ago. I haven't owned a board this short since I was 14. It's for garages and I chose a narrow truck (comparatively speaking). Original S6's
    Eastside Longboards Mini Kicker
    Dude I’m… like…from California brah! I think in today’s vernacular, using the term “banana board” is a perfect way to refer to a small old school board. I think “mini cruiser” and, worse yet, “mini long board” is what we seem to be calling these boards today. It’s the whole Kleenex/tissue or iPod/MP3 player thing. When I started skating in 78 we called these boards Banana Boards for the simple reason that they look like a banana. One of my first boards was a “BIG BANANA” by Super Surfer. Now, calling Bennetts “passé 30 year old trucks” is really missing the point here. That’s like calling a 1957 Ferrari Testarossa a “passé”. Yes, you are correct, I am totally into the nostalgic side of skateboarding but that takes nothing away from the functionality of Bennett trucks. As far as the kids I skate with…I skate with MY own 5 kids and nothing makes me more proud than to see my kids having a blast riding old school and vintage boards from my collection. My oldest boy ride parks and ramps and is a big Indy fan (thanks to my own preference for them) but when we are out carving around on old style boards he is a Bennett addict. Come on Bennett fans, back me up here!

BTW here are some boards I call "banana boards"

just go here and check out the complete boards. this is what im talking about:
    Tailtap.com - Skateboard Shop For Pools, Parks & Pipes

Moderator Concrete Kahuna sniffleless's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Bennetts. I'd love to see more Bennetts on the market, narrower and wider trucks both. I'd buy them both and skate them both. I'm with you all the way.

rosewood thief, the Skennett is worth the extra $. The 95mm hanger is way better for slalom than the 4.3. The Skennett/Airflow combo is a great slalom combo that has worked for me every bit as good as my Rads and were $100+ less. Good truck.

Sadly reverse kingpin trucks are the more popular truck for longboarding. Most see them as the official "longboard truck" and thus the only truck for longboards. They are a good truck but not the only option out there. For carving and freeride I tend to prefer my Bennetts. I like my Bennetts every bit as much as I liked my Originals and for everyday riding way more than any of my reverse kingpin trucks. I won't say it's a better ride but it is a different ride. I've had no trucks except Originals that turned like Bennetts.

Bennetts rock! Lets see more size options. I think Bennett is missing the longboard boat by not offering even wider vectors. Also I think offering a narrower truck would get swept up by the slalom world pretty quick. I've been saying this for years.
    Industry Industry
    We're tools for the industry

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS