ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default tracker axis vs. tracker dart vs. indy's

Has anyone here tried both of them? I'll be throwing a set of one of them onto a cruiser/tech sliding board and wanted to get some input.

The axis aren't as wide as the darts (139mm max) and they'll be going on a 9in board. Would it be better to go for the darts to get a width closer to the board's width?

How do tracker's compare to indy's? I've heard a lot about one being great and the other way overrated, then the next post down somebody says the exact opposite. Is it all just hearsay and personal preference, or do trackers tend to have more slop?

One last question...I keep seeing things like indy hybrid, MHS hybrid etc. What exactly is meant by this? Is it like the whole Prandal/Crandal deal, with swapping out hangers?

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: tracker axis vs. tracker dart vs. indy's

Quote Originally Posted by maddlevi View Post
    Has anyone here tried both of them? I'll be throwing a set of one of them onto a cruiser/tech sliding board and wanted to get some input.

The axis aren't as wide as the darts (139mm max) and they'll be going on a 9in board. Would it be better to go for the darts to get a width closer to the board's width?

How do tracker's compare to indy's? I've heard a lot about one being great and the other way overrated, then the next post down somebody says the exact opposite. Is it all just hearsay and personal preference, or do trackers tend to have more slop?

One last question...I keep seeing things like indy hybrid, MHS hybrid etc. What exactly is meant by this? Is it like the whole Prandal/Crandal deal, with swapping out hangers?

Well I had a set of the darts for my first set up and i will say that they worked amazingly for a cheaper priced set of trucks! They were on my crusing board that was just a little wider than 9 inches. I just got a brand new set of the indy's im not sure what size they are cuz the hanger is about 185 and with the axels the like 225, but they are much wider than my old darts and waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy more manuverable. prolly cause of the bushings and the new wheels but you cant go wrong with either of those two! Wish i could help you with the other trackers, but goodluck!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Darts don't turn worth a sh!t.
    -Sebastien De Groof
    "Yeah, you start up there so I can see how fast you go"

Quote Originally Posted by blstndwn View Post
    no retard a segway. And I did mean what I said!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maddlevi View Post
    How do tracker's compare to indy's? I've heard a lot about one being great and the other way overrated, then the next post down somebody says the exact opposite. Is it all just hearsay and personal preference, or do trackers tend to have more slop?...

Its not a slop issue, its just hanger geometry.

The Tracker Axis model is more of a new school truck. Misaligned pivot, throw away design; no different than any other popsicle truck. Maybe better materials and workmanship, but same design issues. So, I am not going to include them in the comparison.

The Tracker Dart, is the modern version of the original tracker (or atleast late 70's when they went to the larger/burly pivot). It uses the original geometry and turning design. Its a very nice and correctly designed truck. But its turning is a little lazy, If you are looking at the whippiness of a Bennett, or even Indy trucks.
    This could be a plus, or it could be a minus; it's all personal preference. In my case, I like the Tracker feel. I ride my trucks loose, so a less whippy truck works much better. With a whippy truck, ran soupy loose, you can get into trouble pretty quickly. therefore the whippy truck will need to be ran tighter, but then the board lean feels a little tight, to me. Its all personal preference.

On a longer wheelbase board, ie longboard stuff, the Tracker does not give that instant turn like a Bennett or even an Indy. But with correct rubbers, and such it can still be completely adequate. On a short wheelbase board (18" and below for example), the tracker makes for a very nice set-up.

the Tracker Dart is for all intensive purposes the same as the Tracker "Old School", which are real decendants of the original tracker design. A little different casting features, but geometry-wise essentially identical.

Indy trucks started out in early '78 out as a best of both worlds attempt to give the lean/turn action of the Bennett design, but with the robustness and kingpin design of the Tracker. Indy was actually a near direct copy of another truck the Mac-Track (a good 6 -10 months prior), that simply did not have the backing financial support that NHS had. the early Indy design is not so much like now. The pivot alignment was taken into account; these are called the "T" hanger trucks normally. In the 80's, the Indy pivot alignment design changed somewhat. Why? I dont know. Regardless, the Indy design has always had a steeper hanger angle (bennett-like), which will turn pretty sharp for sure. It is pretty much an Industry standard that is duplicated on all fronts.

On a longer wheelbase board, the Indy trucks will permit some pretty nice turning. Correctly adjusted and with nice rubbers, can be really sweet. they can be whippy, so tuning them to eliminate the whippiness will involve a tighter feel. Some like this, others may not. I dont.

But its all a personal preference. I would highly recommend trying both trucks (if these are top picks) on the same board, so you can see the idiosyncracies of each design. A sharp turning truck, during kickturns, can actually begin turning outward. This is part of the reason for dewedging the rear truck on race boards, but its makes for a cool feel on many cruising boards. A lazier geometry truck will track pretty true and exhibit less of that tendancy.

People take their trucks seriously. You can swap out decks and wheels, and brands, etc. But most everyone is loyal to their truck brands. Many are loyal from peer pressure and advertisement, but many are loyal from establishing a certain feel that becomes part of how you ride.

I ride gullwing pros on my tranny/roundwall boards. I have ridden GW pros since 78. On my restos, I ride Tracker mids and fulls because 6" and 7" GW pros are extinct. My son rides tracker Darts. His friends ride Indys, and a host of all sorts of newschool trucks. When I mounted a set Trackers on his board and we went to a park. He adjusted them a couple of times, and was able to ride a lot different than before. Its all in preference. He opted out for the stable design tuned a little more looser, than for the sharp turning design tuned a little tighter. Now he does not even look at trucks because he knows what he likes and has adjusted to the feel. When he needs new trucks, he simply buys a replacement set. there is no "I'll try these this time" thoughts any more.

Everyone is different, dont fall prey to this truck sucks or that truck sucks mentallity. If the consideration is between Tracker Dart and Indy, both are extremely established brands with true skateboard history that goes back to 77/78 for indy and 75 for tracker. But they each have very different feel. Its not "those suck" and "those rule", its more "I ride these" and "you ride those".
    Last edited by rawls; 04-10-2010 at 06:56 AM.
    My comments represent a selfishly one sided 1970's skateboarder mindset, and do not reflect the current fashion-skate-lifestyle industry's views.

Post Thanks / Like

Rawls,
    I agree with your assessment of the Darts vs Indy's. Bottom line is they are both very good trucks. I also prefer the mellower turn of the Darts and I've ridden Indy's most of my life. I'm having one issue though and wondered if you experience the same thing. When I'm turning on the darts the sharp edge of the hangar is tearing up the pivot cup pretty good. Have you had similar problems?

Quote Originally Posted by rawls View Post
    Its not a slop issue, its just hanger geometry.

The Tracker Axis model is more of a new school truck. Misaligned pivot, throw away design; no different than any other popsicle truck. Maybe better materials and workmanship, but same design issues. So, I am not going to include them in the comparison.

The Tracker Dart, is the modern version of the original tracker (or atleast late 70's when they went to the larger/burly pivot). It uses the original geometry and turning design. Its a very nice and correctly designed truck. But its turning is a little lazy, If you are looking at the whippiness of a Bennett, or even Indy trucks.
    This could be a plus, or it could be a minus; it's all personal preference. In my case, I like the Tracker feel. I ride my trucks loose, so a less whippy truck works much better. With a whippy truck, ran soupy loose, you can get into trouble pretty quickly. therefore the whippy truck will need to be ran tighter, but then the board lean feels a little tight, to me. Its all personal preference.

On a longer wheelbase board, ie longboard stuff, the Tracker does not give that instant turn like a Bennett or even an Indy. But with correct rubbers, and such it can still be completely adequate. On a short wheelbase board (18" and below for example), the tracker makes for a very nice set-up.

the Tracker Dart is for all intensive purposes the same as the Tracker "Old School", which are real decendants of the original tracker design. A little different casting features, but geometry-wise essentially identical.

Indy trucks started out in early '78 out as a best of both worlds attempt to give the lean/turn action of the Bennett design, but with the robustness and kingpin design of the Tracker. Indy was actually a near direct copy of another truck the Mac-Track (a good 6 -10 months prior), that simply did not have the backing financial support that NHS had. the early Indy design is not so much like now. The pivot alignment was taken into account; these are called the "T" hanger trucks normally. In the 80's, the Indy pivot alignment design changed somewhat. Why? I dont know. Regardless, the Indy design has always had a steeper hanger angle (bennett-like), which will turn pretty sharp for sure. It is pretty much an Industry standard that is duplicated on all fronts.

On a longer wheelbase board, the Indy trucks will permit some pretty nice turning. Correctly adjusted and with nice rubbers, can be really sweet. they can be whippy, so tuning them to eliminate the whippiness will involve a tighter feel. Some like this, others may not. I dont.

But its all a personal preference. I would highly recommend trying both trucks (if these are top picks) on the same board, so you can see the idiosyncracies of each design. A sharp turning truck, during kickturns, can actually begin turning outward. This is part of the reason for dewedging the rear truck on race boards, but its makes for a cool feel on many cruising boards. A lazier geometry truck will track pretty true and exhibit less of that tendancy.

People take their trucks seriously. You can swap out decks and wheels, and brands, etc. But most everyone is loyal to their truck brands. Many are loyal from peer pressure and advertisement, but many are loyal from establishing a certain feel that becomes part of how you ride.

I ride gullwing pros on my tranny/roundwall boards. I have ridden GW pros since 78. On my restos, I ride Tracker mids and fulls because 6" and 7" GW pros are extinct. My son rides tracker Darts. His friends ride Indys, and a host of all sorts of newschool trucks. When I mounted a set Trackers on his board and we went to a park. He adjusted them a couple of times, and was able to ride a lot different than before. Its all in preference. He opted out for the stable design tuned a little more looser, than for the sharp turning design tuned a little tighter. Now he does not even look at trucks because he knows what he likes and has adjusted to the feel. When he needs new trucks, he simply buys a replacement set. there is no "I'll try these this time" thoughts any more.

Everyone is different, dont fall prey to this truck sucks or that truck sucks mentallity. If the consideration is between Tracker Dart and Indy, both are extremely established brands with true skateboard history that goes back to 77/78 for indy and 75 for tracker. But they each have very different feel. Its not "those suck" and "those rule", its more "I ride these" and "you ride those".

Post Thanks / Like

Well although I can't help you, I very much appreciate the fact that you bumped this thread. It's impossible to find good info on trackers these day's, since everybody is so hung up on indys.
    Last edited by VKCA; 05-22-2011 at 01:59 PM.

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS