Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Split Trucks; RKP/TKP

Whats up SilverFish?

Ok, so with all of the experimentation that goes on around here I know I am nowhere near the first, but am surprised that a split truck combo with RKP and TKP setups are not talked about a bit more.

I had a few boards set up for faster speeds with split RKP angles 50/44, ect.. but after re-reading the article on speed wobbles and not being able to set up my Indy Hybrids to my satisfaction on any of my boards (both front and back; too much wheel bite even w/70mm) I decided to try some experimenting myself and see how exactly a RKP front and TKP (de-wedged) rear steers. To my pleasant surprise I was astounded. At first I put the setup on my Tyrant with Bear 52's flipped on the front to keep it low and the Indy Hybrids in the back. After a bit of bushing tuning I found a satisfactory setup with mid 80 duros in the front and low 90's in the hybrids. I have a lil hill by my house where I tune my boards to adjust the feel and didn't do much but loosen the front truck.

This combination does offer extreme stability and does steer like it's on rails. The back totally trails the front's steering command nicely, and, I like to relate the feeling to a roller coaster where it just shifts with extreme precision.

I do understand that this combination offers stability when ridden directionally, meaning that riding this setup on bi-directional decks for freeriding is NOT recommended as the TKP deweged truck would steer the deck and having a RKP in back is akin to seeing a fish flop back and forth out of water. I would never put this setup on my NS Heist as it serves a different purpose.

So, seeing as how this setup felt so magical on directional decks I decided to do some more experimenting on my other decks. I originally intended the Hybrids to go on my Supercharger, but as mentioned earlier, for the life of me I could not get them set up to my liking. This was the second board I gave the RKP front TKP rear treatment. Let me mention that I used Crails on the front as the SC has a front wedging and I don't like 55+ angles on the front, but that's just a personal preference.

The SC not only took on the characteristics of handling like on rails, but also like the Tyrant which I have not mentioned yet, this setup also allows for extreme pumping. I went on a 12 mile cruise yesterday on average flatland and touched foot maybe half that time. I was pumping like a mad man and got up to great speeds even passing some slower bikes clogging the sidewalks. So far this setup has contributed to the funnest combination I have tried for pumping and bombing hills as I don't even think twice about wobbles. I like having both traits in one board versus having to adjust the trucks every time for a specified discipline.

Well, most of my decks are uni-directional so I tried this setup on my Gravity Larry Berttleman and NS Assault. At first I had Indy 169's weged and deweged on the Berttleman which did prove to be fun but just seemed to lack that edge of RKP trucks liveliness (front and back previously). So I put a 50 degree Charger front and de-weged the 169's and lets say this thing feels even better than RKP F/B and Indy's weged/deweged. Both of those previous setups proved fun in their own ways but I feel combining both characteristics of those setups to be the most gnarliest. Not only is the board more inherently stable due to the geometrical efficiencies of that combination, but literally the Berttleman eats pavement now. It's a mini pumping/bombing/driveway/ditch maniac and I love it. I haven't dialed in the Assault yet, but once I do I know it'll be just as great.

I do love pumping and have never tried the RTX/RTS combo or similar slalom setups but can testify that this setup proves capable in that arena.

So with the understanding that this setup will work best for directional decks and with the abilities that it offers by providing stability and turn-ability how much of the rest of the fish has experimented or tried this combination? Who rocks this setup?

I do recommend that you try it and dial it in. Once you get the feel for how much you can dig in the rear to push out and follow the front it can be understood how sick this is.
    EW Supercharger
    Bombsquad Rambo Bazooka
    NS Assault

John Doe :
    ...Then I walked home looking like a fool who doesn't own a shirt and sucks at longboarding.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Split Trucks; RKP/TKP

I'll be honest, I personally have yet to begin to notice the difference between RKP and TKP trucks, but that does sound damn awesome!
    If I get can get my hands on the right setup I'd definitely try it out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a few pm's about sliding because of the extra grip/stability offered and while I have not slid any of my decks on this setup much, I have done a little bit of testing because I was curious. While the feel is slightly different, as in slip point, I think that the lean of the Indy allows for good leverage off of the board allowing to push out the deck when wanted. It may be a little snappy, but in a good way I think. After a lil more sliding on this I think I'll get a better feel on how to guide the board. My Berttleman slides more efficiently than my Tyrant due to a -13 in wheelbase difference but they all share the same slide characteristics due to the Indy lean.

^^^Yea, if you have extra trucks laying around try it out! ^^^
    EW Supercharger
    Bombsquad Rambo Bazooka
    NS Assault

John Doe :
    ...Then I walked home looking like a fool who doesn't own a shirt and sucks at longboarding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha nice! this is something i would definetly try if i had indys
    [10:01 PM] Rawdawg > Wells: max you're tne perdonsl meddsage u', m dtokrf upon compsered to youul
    [10:24 PM] CandyBoyLongboards: just tell him to go away or you'll take his pre-pubescent balls and nail them to a wall like the deer you raped last week.
    [4:05 PM] malakaikingston: EAT A eagleshark YOU SMUCH SUCKING VAGINA eagleshark eaglesharkING eagleshark

[12:14 PM] malakaikingston: eagleshark it I'm selling silverfish
    [12:14 PM] malakaikingston: MTV just started advertising

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool idea, definitely wouldn't have thought of that. Gotta go dig my indys out of the closet now!
    shameless self promotion: www.rjroushphotography.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some guy did a long writeup on how he loved running the RKP/TKP split. I finally tried it on my little 34" topmount and it feels super sick. Then again I put two TKPs in the back but it still feels ill. Super fun for gripping and ripping.
    Action Board Shop - The Midwest's Finest Core Shop - absboards.com

#FUNBOARDING: PNL Precision Truck Co. | metro | Madrid Skateboards | TEAM BROCE

What kind of person *are* you? Order of the 'Fish cawlin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RKP trucks like to grip, and my indys do not. I think they'd be fun in back. might help predrifts break looks easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petary791 View Post
    Some guy did a long writeup on how he loved running the RKP/TKP split. I finally tried it on my little 34" topmount and it feels super sick. Then again I put two TKPs in the back but it still feels ill. Super fun for gripping and ripping.
    Is this on a 6 wheeler?

Yes, lets revive this setup!
    EW Supercharger
    Bombsquad Rambo Bazooka
    NS Assault

John Doe :

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Op, have you tried 1/2" risers for a tkp/tkp setup? I too had the same issue when trying to top mount mine, but once I got the bigger risers I could run any setup I wanted. I know this isn't completely relevant to the topic but it is a helpful bit of info.
    www.reytrucks.com
    www.sweetspotwheels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Theeasterbunny View Post
    Pshh, skateboard? I only carry this thing around for the ladies, no one actually rides longboards here..weirdo..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I have tried flat high risers but to no avail, the Indys just lean like a mofo. The first spills I had were due to mad wheelbite even with 91a double barrels. It's fun now!
    EW Supercharger
    Bombsquad Rambo Bazooka
    NS Assault

John Doe :

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that's nuts! I guess it also depends on the wheels wells too. Next time I play with my setups in gonna give the rkp/tkp set up soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting
    i have a split set -- indy 129 and randal 125 42 degree. haven't really played around with it much, but i have run indy 149 up front and r II 150s in the back. maybe i've got it backwards?
    Gravity Bruce Logan 36
    Earthwing Supercharger
    Carver Fort Knox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose it's a matter of feel and if they feel good, then it is right haha. How does that setup ride? With the 42's in the back I am sure you get some mad lean and it is probably similar although I cannot say for sure as I have not rode that setup. I based my front/rears based on the article I read, but I imagine your board is fun. Let us know because I'm no pro and would like to have infinite combinations at our disposal and testing everything out will give us clues as to what works best.
    EW Supercharger
    Bombsquad Rambo Bazooka
    NS Assault

John Doe :

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm. I might try it with 42* Randals in front and Indeesz in back. Dewedged in back of course.
    Earthwing - Big Myth - Surf Rodz - Braden Boards - Venom - Riptide

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomcoffey View Post
    Hmmm. I might try it with 42* Randals in front and Indeesz in back. Dewedged in back of course.
    I want to know what you think. I might try that with mine.
    MaxxSpeed Skateboards
    Team Lean: All the Homies They Know What I Mean.
    Team Lightweights

Running thread, all runners welcome: http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/anything-goes-almost/283760-official-running-thread.html#post1299445144

Sco' Ducks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stephenm87 View Post
    Is this on a 6 wheeler?

You know it! I'm actually considering putting two FasTracks up front and keeping the Dart in the back. Or just doing it up real big with an 8-wheeler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stephenm87 View Post
    Is this on a 6 wheeler?

You know it! I'm actually considering putting two FasTracks up front and keeping the Dart in the back. Or just doing it up real big with an 8-wheeler.

Wumbologist I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The slalom guys must be either laughing or screaming "DUH!" haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skanonymous View Post
    Just so you know, Maxxspeed offers happy endings with all of their boards. It's great seeing the owner of a company take a firm grip of his customer-base, pushing and pulling until success splatters on his face and down his chin.

Maxxspeed Skateboards

Maxxspeed "Fat Elvis"Maxxspeed GarudaMaxxspeed 24" MiniMaxxspeed Slalom V.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard that this setup is nearly impossible (but still possible of course) to get the wobs on..

Gonna have to break my indy 215's out and try a surf-rodz 45* indy back..

super cool idea, i imagine the stability comes from the different geometries having less interference with eachother?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shayde View Post
    I'll be honest, I personally have yet to begin to notice the difference between RKP and TKP trucks, but that does sound damn awesome!
    If I get can get my hands on the right setup I'd definitely try it out!
    The first time I stepped on a Supermodel, I had been riding for about a year, and it looked like I had been riding for about an hour. At least to me, it felt completely different to what I'd ridden before on RKP trucks.
    The closest I come to being black is surfing blacktop
    Because I have to keep my head cocked and watch out for angry cops.
    If not I'm burning on that hood white hot
    And I'm wondering what I did just to get myself caught.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS