ADVERTISEMENT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How to make bushings?

T.V.A.R, I hope you have a respirator. If you don't, that's just stupid.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFich View Post
    T.V.A.R, I hope you have a respirator. If you don't, that's just stupid.
    Alright buddy, I have a resparator. I change the cartridges in it every 2 weeks. Look at what I'm doing, I know what an MSDS is. Do you think I'm retarded?

Sorry if I sound rude, I'm just really, really, sick of everyone asking me if I have a resperator. If you are as well versed in the particular dangers of polymer chemistry as I am, you can tell me how to do my job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrolazer View Post
    You don't want to plan on needing an aerolid for safety; otherwise it'd be called a safetylid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could I cut a bushing in half, torch the top of each one and stickem together without the world imploding?
    01001100010011110100111001000111010000100100111101 0000010101001001000100010010010100111001000111

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.V.A.R. View Post
    Alright buddy, I have a resparator. I change the cartridges in it every 2 weeks. Look at what I'm doing, I know what an MSDS is. Do you think I'm retarded?

Sorry if I sound rude, I'm just really, really, sick of everyone asking me if I have a resperator. If you are as well versed in the particular dangers of polymer chemistry as I am, you can tell me how to do my job.

Its just that I thought your complaining about the "noxious" fumes and other "awe inspiring" health risks of the "terrible job" that is pouring urethane meant that maybe you weren't equiped to meet these things. Maybe you were just being melodramatic. Sorry I tried to help, "Buddy".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zach_Wolf View Post
    could I cut a bushing in half, torch the top of each one and stickem together without the world imploding?
    Maybe... but why would you need to melt them together? Just stack them, then you can change the combos whenever you want.

funhog I Support The Fish
    Addicted Cruiser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EFG View Post
    Maybe... but why would you need to melt them together? Just stack them, then you can change the combos whenever you want.
    Word. Trim 'em, drill 'em, slice 'em, stack 'em. No need to melt them.

Instead of that extra washer taking up space, try a sliver of Khiro white. It's yummy.

(All this said, I'll still be lining up to try Zack's new bushings...)

OLFuhrer Concrete Kahuna mcgoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you using to slice em? Sharp knife? Saw?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcgoon View Post
    What are you using to slice em? Sharp knife? Saw?
    Either one will work. It has to be a very sharp knife though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noone cares if you know what an MSDS is, everyone who works with chemicals has used them. I'm pretty well versed in polymer chemistry. 1) Don't let it touch you. 2) Don't breath it in. Noone is telling you how to do your job, simply wondering why all these terribly noxious fumes are such a big deal if all you have to do it pop on a respirator. Good for you though, you got yourself a little niche in the market by not telling anyone how you do it.

Addicted Cruiser LandLockedboardingGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MSDS = My skills Dont Suck
    or
    Macromolecule sciences Divide Skaters

Anyone can plug words in like Mad Libs and sound verbose after looking at wikipedia or talking to anyone knowledgable about working with plastics, I mean polymer chemistry sounds big but anyone can make those little gummy creatures in an easy bake oven..... are you a graduate student?

If anyone wants to learn about making bushings just check out sights for mask making ( i.e Halloween masks), prop production, and urethane molds online....just know how to use ratios, percentiles, and simple math..... and find a kiln and use clay to make molds...then drill n cut...

and you dont need to know crap about polymer chemistry to make bushings....maybe a high school chem class that tells you a bunch of definitions..

Longskateaholic longboarder_666's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Timy567 View Post
    Noone cares if you know what an MSDS is, everyone who works with chemicals has used them. I'm pretty well versed in polymer chemistry. 1) Don't let it touch you. 2) Don't breath it in. Noone is telling you how to do your job, simply wondering why all these terribly noxious fumes are such a big deal if all you have to do it pop on a respirator. Good for you though, you got yourself a little niche in the market by not telling anyone how you do it.
    Did you read the thread? Or are you just a troll? He was giving the OP of this thread some warnings (about how toxic these fumes can be). And why would he feel a need to tell someone how to do it when he is running a buisness? He figured all this out for himself and is now taking advantage of that, now go get a life instead of trolling forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sooooo... make sure you wear a repirator tvar!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by longboarder_666 View Post
    Did you read the thread? Or are you just a troll? He was giving the OP of this thread some warnings (about how toxic these fumes can be). And why would he feel a need to tell someone how to do it when he is running a buisness? He figured all this out for himself and is now taking advantage of that, now go get a life instead of trolling forums.
    He was giving him warnings to scare him away, all you have to do is wear a respirator, some gloves, and not worry about it. Chemicals never actually hurt anyone that uses common sense. Thats why I gave him my congratulations, by being selfish and greedy, has prevented the pleasure of making stuff for yourself being spread to others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was giving him warnings to scare him away, all you have to do is wear a respirator, some gloves, and not worry about it. Chemicals never actually hurt anyone that uses common sense. Thats why I gave him my congratulations, by being selfish and greedy, has prevented the pleasure of making stuff for yourself being spread to others.
    Well he figured it out himself, so why couldn't others? Most people would rather just buy some bushings than spend the time and money to make some bushings. Chill out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good points. The problem is that instead of saying "I'm not telling you because I'm making money off this, go find out yourself." He is saying, "This is extremely hazardous and nearly impossible. I don't recommend doing it because it sucks and you'll hate it."

Addicted Cruiser Whoa.there.tiger.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waaaaaa life sucks
    i totally emailed cocacola and they wouldn't give me their formula
    i totally emailed KFC and they wouldn't gimme their recipe
    i totally emailed toyota and they wouldn't tell me exactly how they made their hybrid
    everyone is so unreasonable
    See in the Bay Area we dance a lil' different...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fully encourage you to do this
    <sarcasm>What a jerk</sarcasm>.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoa.there.tiger. View Post
    Waaaaaa life sucks
    i totally emailed cocacola and they wouldn't give me their formula
    i totally emailed KFC and they wouldn't gimme their recipe
    i totally emailed toyota and they wouldn't tell me exactly how they made their hybrid
    everyone is so unreasonable
    Those are corporations, that is completely irrevelant to the argument at hand. Dont be so totally unresonable, its not our fault that your life sucks. Obviously if Tony Dungy asks Bill Belichick whats his strategy for the game, Belichick is gonna look at him like he has two heads. Correct me if I am wrong but, Mongoose wasn't looking for any secret formula in order to make money. He just wanted some tips on how to get started. You'd expect someone who has just figured out the "complicated" process of pouring bushings to help out a fellow messagebourder who wanted to do the same. No ones looking to steal peoples techniques or strategies. TVAR didn't invent the technology anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by effigy View Post
    <sarcasm>What a jerk</sarcasm>.
    Effigy, let's break down the post in question piece by piece, shall we?

Well, I think I may be the only one here fully qualified to answer this.
    It is exactly as Marv said. Just way, way, worse. Pouring Urethane is a terrible job to do. Working the kinks out of your formulas is pretty hard too. With my current mixes, I have to heat one part of the stuff up a lot because it is frozen at room temperature. Once it's mixed, if I get any on my skin, It will give me both thermal and chemical burns.

Paragraph 1 translation: No one here knows anything. Pouring urethane is harder than curing cancer, good thing I am such a genius. If you or any of your other simple-minded brethren tried to do it you would probably just end up hurting yoourselves.

The health risks involved are nothing short of awe-inspiring. Isosyanate, one of the kee parts, is one of the most toxic things allowed to be stored in a house. It is just as dangerous as Methy Ethyl Ketone which is volatile enough that if you put it in a container, and don't use it, it will literally "Walk" throught the walls of the container.

Paragraph 2 translation: You really dont understand how terribly risky and hard my job is. To prove it I will use big words that you cannot comprehend. MEKP, a substance a clearly know nothing about, is so bad that it will go all of your containers, as long as they are made of a permeable membrane such as taped together napkins.

I think pouring 'thane is a neat project, but I kind of regret doing it. If I wasn't getting such great results, it wouldn't be worth it. Basically, It sucks to do and it's dangerous as hell.

Paragraph 3: Pouring 'thane is freaking terrible, good thing I am so awesome at it.

Plus, you need a lot of equipment tailor made for your opperation.

-A high quality scale
    -Means of mixing
    -A heat chamber that can hold anywhere between 80 and 220 degrees F.
    -A vacuum chamber that will do at leas 1500 Pounds-per-square-foot.
    -Molds

Paragraph 4: To even consider doing this, you need all this crap that you clearly dont have. There is no other way to do it. Just give up.

I fully encourage you to do this, just know that there's a reason noone does it.

Paragraph 5: Do you get it you fool, you cannot do this.

Maybe TVAR is just trying to give Mongoose ample warning of the evils of urethane. I just think it is ridiculous that you all flock to his aid without thinking for yourself. Except for LandLockedboardingGS, he actually used his brain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah! Let's all rag on the only person who knows how to do it and won't tell us, because we're all too goddamned lazy to actually find things for ourselves!

Is it that hard to do this thing called "research"?
    Type somethings into Google, or god forbid - open up a few books!

Don't complain just because something isn't handed to you on a silver platter.
    Team RAINBOW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have any interest in pouring my own bushings, I just think whats going on here isn't cool. Maybe I am unenlightened, but I simply don't give a #### how hard or what shape my bushings are as long as my trucks are loose. I work at a shop, I'll grab some beat up reasonably soft ones some shortboarder has taken a poop on and forget about them. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think a few dedicated thane pourers on the fish could go pretty far with this if they were able to bounce ideas of each other. This is where I insert more big words and researching credentials, along with my project resume. Oh nevermind, I'm not full of it.

P.s.- notice how he hasn't defended himself?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS