ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Building A "Longboard Land Paddle"

Well I saw this new thing online not too long ago and had the pleasure of trying one while at the beach this summer, and man was it fun! I had to have one for myself but currently being a college student I don't exactly have the funds to be throwing at a ~$150 bamboo pole with rubber on it. So using the trusty internet and brushing up my knowledge of Epoxy, Bamboo types, and General Construction. I was able to make my own that is quite compaireable to the one I rode with at the beach.

First your going to need bamboo, DO NOT BUY THE PRE-DRIED KIND. They probably air dried it and this will cause it to be weak, split, and splinter easily. Instead what I did was to cut the bamboo myself, I let it sit out for a single day in the sun for the excess moisture from it to evaporate. Then I used a blow torch and slowly made my way around the bamboo till it turned a very nice tanish brown. You'll know when to stop because the waxy sugar from inside will start forming little white beads of sweat on the outside. Don't remove this because this is crucial to your sticks strength. Take bees wax and run it up and down the pole to mix it with the natural waxy sugar from the bamboo.

Next you will want to let the waxy mix dry which won't take very long. Afterwards you can customize your stick if you would like by painting or carving into it (Don't carve very deep or your bamboo will be weakened. Then tapeing off about 3" on each side of the stick I sprayed 2~3 layers of laquer on it to give it a nice glossy shine. I then used a buffer and shined it up alittle more. Then un-taped the two ends and sanded them and made them really rough so the epoxy could get a nice grip on it.

For the handle I just used another single section of bamboo. I used a dremel tool and cut a nice groove in the big stick for the handle to sit and tacked it in place with wood glue and super glue. Then I prepared the epoxy ( I would recommend the 30 min epoxy over the 5 min kind) I used 5min but felt very rushed to get it on and didn't have much time to soak the fiber. The different kinds of rope/fiber you can use is completely up to you. The ones I would suggest would be Kevlar, Carbon Ribbon/rope, Hemp Twine, Hemp fiber, and Fiberglass. Unfortunatly the only thing the hardware stores around here carry is hemp twine so I had to use that. You'll want to soak your selected rope or fiber in the epoxy for a few min to get it nice and saturated. Then using gloves (I didn't and spent the better part of the hour afterwards trying to get it off, Another reason to not use 5min epoxy) Pick up your fiber/rope and start to wrap it around the handle and stick. Get a good ammount on and depending on what fiber you chose you can even sand it down to specific shape and then coat it with a layer of epoxy to get a nice shiny smooth surface. Let this sit for a few hours.

Last part and the most crucial the rubber end. You're going to want a rubber that has just the right durometer so that you can use it to push but also when carving it wont be eatin by the asphault. After a bit of testing I found the perfect thing to use old truck tire treads. (Its free and recycling!) I picked mine up off the side of the highway and brought it back to my house. I cut 2 strips from it about 6" long and 2" wide (be careful some tire treads have metal in them) and then set them aside. Now for the bottom of your stick where you're going to put the rubber you will want a PVC T end. Take good measurements and get a peice that fits your bamboo nice and snug. Make sure the other section is wider than the part you stick your pole into. You can put end-caps on it if you would like but I' didnt. What you do now is epoxy your PVC T end to the stick and if you want you can blow torch this as well, It will turn a nice brown so it wont look so out of place on your stick. Now what your going to do is take those rubber strips and wrap them around each side on the T end so that they look like wheels much like the kahuna big stick has. Now you can keep them on a variaty of ways. The method I chose was to use the blow torch and melt the two ends together. (Do not breath these fumes) You can wrap your T end with whatever fiber you used for the handle to make it match.

There you go, You have your very own Land Paddle!

I'll try to update with some pictures of mine.

Doesn't have the rubber end on it right now, Currently trying different methods to see what is best at keeping the rubber on the end. I created a nice little cheetah effect by holding the blow torch in one spot and it created little darker rings and cresents and such. It has a great flex as well!
    Last edited by Jhawk; 08-27-2009 at 07:20 PM.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Building A "Longboard Land Paddle"

wow. epic. i want pictures and video!!! this all sounds incredible on paper, but i want to see it in action!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by yooeu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ManlyMoses View Post
    Man, that thing is small
    I like it though
    that's what she said.
    nice board by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id just slap an old wheel on the bottom of a broken hockey stick somehow. If its a composite stick, itd be light and strong and itd be a good way to reuse the stick.
    Nightskateboards.com

Gravityboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The entire cost of this was around $8. But took a while to complete. Mostly drying times.

I'm building another one but this time i'm gonna do a photo documentation with pics of each step.
    Last edited by Jhawk; 08-27-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's incredible!
    rep for ingenuity, and saving $142!

more pics of the whole thing??
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” - HST

Quote Originally Posted by GrassDiver View Post
    Do not become separated from the board, it is where you draw 'Stokeage Power', once separated, the 'Stokeage Power' is lost, and you become mortal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll get more pics up tomorrow once I put the rubber end back on. I'll try to get a vid of it in action as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is one video from top to bottom of the stick with rubber on the end. I revised the end and decided just to nail it in. Works better than the epoxy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N023QKqTcB4"]YouTube - Longboard Land Paddle I made.[/ame]

Here is some pictures of the process of making the feet on the stick.

Standard Tire tread, Note the steel/Metal wire on the tire.

Its rather easy to remove just take a wrench and just pull it off

How big of strips I cut it into.

How the "Feet" look

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vote great.
    Cann0n
    _________
    the duval crew
    the ian tilmann foundation | northeast florida skateboarding alliance
    ground force olympians | phantom garage assassins | keystone heights danger riders
    duval wheels | roggs | bombsquad
    riptide bushings | caliber trucks | rey trucks
    sporting-sail | light-riser | south butt slide pucks
    pistol pete productions | lyfe headwear | g7

silverfish wiki

Quote Originally Posted by skatethesprings View Post
    helmets are great, but they don't "save your life"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Video of it in action!

I'm only about 5'7 so the stick i'm estimating is around 6ft

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THj_7uLMKwQ"]YouTube - Using my Longboard Land Paddle.[/ame]
    Last edited by Jhawk; 08-29-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice hill you got there.
    and the stick too.
    like that hahahaha
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” - HST

Quote Originally Posted by GrassDiver View Post
    Do not become separated from the board, it is where you draw 'Stokeage Power', once separated, the 'Stokeage Power' is lost, and you become mortal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats sweet, how does it work for uphill slopes and flats

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kossmonaut View Post
    thats sweet, how does it work for uphill slopes and flats
    Amazing, It has good flex and spring. I'll get more vids once I hit downtown tomorrow. This was just a vid of me testing in my neighborhood.

Longskateaholic FatboyLovesHills's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet build!
    "The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"

Comet Voodoo skull graphic - Krux 'the man' trucks - sabre F types - wheels
    Comet Pagan drop - randal 50s - sabre F types - wheels
    Lush Tula - stock
    Chopped mini pintail
    Waterski dancer - indys- soft barrels - wheels
    Custard Point longboards 9'4" Noserider

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is awesome. I really want to do this the only thing is where did you get the bamboo yourself. I mean you said you cut it yourself. Did you find it in the woods or did you go to a lumber yard/nursery to cut it yourself.

I live in NYC and the only thing I can think to replace a fresh bamboo pole is to buy a Chinese Staff at the local kung fu store which has some flex to it. Though I know they do crack.

Also the PVC T joint. Is that strong enough? I feel like that thing will crack eventually.

Sweet DIY project

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, nice project, although I would recommend using a different pole.

I've been using painters' & window washers' extension poles. They work really well and are cheap. You need to get one that is rigid enough, light enough and can take the load. Extend the pole to the length you need, lock the joints (hard) and push down with your entire body weight. The joints need to stay put and not slip under load. I've only found one that will do that: Ettore Reach 4-8' pole. The other poles I've used all need to have their joints amended so as not to slip. I haven't used the push-button ones, too noisy & rattly.

I've ended up using two poles, one with a fixed length and one that is collapsible.

For the fixed-length pole, I use a "Mr. Longarm" 6-12' pole. I extend it to where I want (~ 6'-9") and mark it. Next, I take the smaller tube out and cut it down to about 6" longer than I absolutely need. Then I wrap one turn of duct tape onto the end of the smaller tube (for dampening) and re-insert into the larger tube and add another band of duct tape, maybe 6 or 8 wraps, 1/16" thick or more. That stops the smaller tube from slipping through the joint after its locked down. It is my favorite pole so far and is strong and light with a lively flex and great grip.

The collapsible Ettore pole also works well but is slightly heavier and somewhat noisier/rattlier. The flip side is that it collapses down to carry-on length for buses & trains. Mr. Longarm would get bounced from the bus.

For both poles, I use a 3" solid rubber Kong Ball (dog toy) for the traction tip and a lathed-down/flattened Lacrosse ball for a handle. Drill the Kong Ball with a 1" collar hole and a 1/2" 'thread' hole beyond it. Push hard while screwing it on. A 1.375" hole in the lacrosse ball allows it to be mounted on the top end of the pole.

You don't have to have a T-handle when you don't have a blade that has to be stabilized. A disk handle (looks round from the top, elliptical from the side) greatly simplifies side-to-side action, compared to a T-handle and also adds considerable versatility. In a pinch it can serve as a traction tip. The round foot has the same advantage, no re-aligning every time you change hands, no need to constantly fret over the alignment of the contact path and the ground. Designed for skating!

I'll post some pictures of my poles and their construction when I get home a little later.
    Last edited by stevie; 05-25-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a whole bunch of bamboo poles from my local ski hill, always about 20 by fire hydrants.
    A crutch has the best traction tip, it fits perfectly over your average sized bamboo pole. & has a metal washer in it too prevent the pole from bustin' through.
    I also found what I think is the ball from a banister, it makes a perfect end for a handle
    I also have one modified to hold my video cam when snowboarding & longboarding.
    I'll see if I can track down a pic, mine works awesome. I can haul ass.
    It is definitely a technique thing. If you try to hold it like a paddle & paddle like a canoe, it's alright. But if you hold the end with both hands you can fly much faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I gave building a land paddle a shot... I used a 5'6" long piece of PVC piping at 1" diameter. Then put a T-joint coupling on the end for a handle. For traction I used a Kong ball dog toy and to attach it to the PVC I bore a hole about 1 1/2" deep in the center of the ball and just a little smaller than the diameter PVC. Then I used Gorilla Epoxy to help seal the PVC to the rubber Kong ball. For grip I used standard tennis racket grip tape. It works great and what a upper body and core workout. Cost... about $30 including gas to get from store to store.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhawk View Post
    Well I saw this new thing online not too long ago and had the pleasure of trying one while at the beach this summer, and man was it fun! I had to have one for myself but currently being a college student I don't exactly have the funds to be throwing at a ~$150 bamboo pole with rubber on it. So using the trusty internet and brushing up my knowledge of Epoxy, Bamboo types, and General Construction. I was able to make my own that is quite compaireable to the one I rode with at the beach.

First your going to need bamboo, DO NOT BUY THE PRE-DRIED KIND. They probably air dried it and this will cause it to be weak, split, and splinter easily. Instead what I did was to cut the bamboo myself, I let it sit out for a single day in the sun for the excess moisture from it to evaporate. Then I used a blow torch and slowly made my way around the bamboo till it turned a very nice tanish brown. You'll know when to stop because the waxy sugar from inside will start forming little white beads of sweat on the outside. Don't remove this because this is crucial to your sticks strength. Take bees wax and run it up and down the pole to mix it with the natural waxy sugar from the bamboo.

Next you will want to let the waxy mix dry which won't take very long. Afterwards you can customize your stick if you would like by painting or carving into it (Don't carve very deep or your bamboo will be weakened. Then tapeing off about 3" on each side of the stick I sprayed 2~3 layers of laquer on it to give it a nice glossy shine. I then used a buffer and shined it up alittle more. Then un-taped the two ends and sanded them and made them really rough so the epoxy could get a nice grip on it.

For the handle I just used another single section of bamboo. I used a dremel tool and cut a nice groove in the big stick for the handle to sit and tacked it in place with wood glue and super glue. Then I prepared the epoxy ( I would recommend the 30 min epoxy over the 5 min kind) I used 5min but felt very rushed to get it on and didn't have much time to soak the fiber. The different kinds of rope/fiber you can use is completely up to you. The ones I would suggest would be Kevlar, Carbon Ribbon/rope, Hemp Twine, Hemp fiber, and Fiberglass. Unfortunatly the only thing the hardware stores around here carry is hemp twine so I had to use that. You'll want to soak your selected rope or fiber in the epoxy for a few min to get it nice and saturated. Then using gloves (I didn't and spent the better part of the hour afterwards trying to get it off, Another reason to not use 5min epoxy) Pick up your fiber/rope and start to wrap it around the handle and stick. Get a good ammount on and depending on what fiber you chose you can even sand it down to specific shape and then coat it with a layer of epoxy to get a nice shiny smooth surface. Let this sit for a few hours.

Last part and the most crucial the rubber end. You're going to want a rubber that has just the right durometer so that you can use it to push but also when carving it wont be eatin by the asphault. After a bit of testing I found the perfect thing to use old truck tire treads. (Its free and recycling!) I picked mine up off the side of the highway and brought it back to my house. I cut 2 strips from it about 6" long and 2" wide (be careful some tire treads have metal in them) and then set them aside. Now for the bottom of your stick where you're going to put the rubber you will want a PVC T end. Take good measurements and get a peice that fits your bamboo nice and snug. Make sure the other section is wider than the part you stick your pole into. You can put end-caps on it if you would like but I' didnt. What you do now is epoxy your PVC T end to the stick and if you want you can blow torch this as well, It will turn a nice brown so it wont look so out of place on your stick. Now what your going to do is take those rubber strips and wrap them around each side on the T end so that they look like wheels much like the kahuna big stick has. Now you can keep them on a variaty of ways. The method I chose was to use the blow torch and melt the two ends together. (Do not breath these fumes) You can wrap your T end with whatever fiber you used for the handle to make it match.

There you go, You have your very own Land Paddle!

I'll try to update with some pictures of mine.

Doesn't have the rubber end on it right now, Currently trying different methods to see what is best at keeping the rubber on the end. I created a nice little cheetah effect by holding the blow torch in one spot and it created little darker rings and cresents and such. It has a great flex as well!
    Just made a paddle in about 5 minutes with a broken windsurfing boom,the dogs kong toy tape and a hacksaw. its carbon fibre, adjustable in length and no real need for a handle due to the curve of the boom at the top and the soft grip. Depending on where the boom is broken you can make 2 paddles. go to seabreeze or a similar site in your area and post a wanted add. You could use an aluminium boom. Post a pic when ive got time if anyones interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard two hockey pucks mounted across each other on a stick makes a great paddle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made one from 1" PVC and a bit of rubber floor mat from a restaurant...works great! Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342743701.812002.jpg
Views: 6576
Size:  33.0 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342743730.949322.jpg
Views: 6556
Size:  28.6 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS