ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How much does fiber glass and epoxy resin cost?

I'm gonna make a board w/ 2 or 3 layers of fiberglass. How much is it? How much is the resin? Can you use a different glue instead?

and I searched and found a bunch of random threads, not about this

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How much does fiber glass and epoxy resin cost?

Stick with epoxy, no glues. Epoxy prices depend on where you get it and what brand you get. Bondo, which is easily available at big-name stores (read: Home Depot, etc) goes from around $5-6. If you don't have a tight budget, West Systems (marine applicant) goes upwards towards $40 a quart (105-A) and hardner is around $20. There's a difference between the two, as in cure times and strength, but Bondo and some other lower-range epoxies work just as well as the professional stuff.

As far as fiberglass goes, your best bet is ordering it online. There are some eBay stores that sell composites and you can get fiberglass in all sorts of different weights at pretty cheap prices. I use CJ Composites (eBay seach them) for my fiberglass and carbon fiber, and their prices are fair. Buying fiberglass in a local hardware store or even a West Marine is iffy, only because they'll either only carry 6" strips (designated towards repairs mostly) and sell by the foot, rather than by the yard.

Do some research on your own to find out your own needs for the boards you're making and you'll end up finding something to fit your need. Cheapest route, as a guesstimate, is you can get enough resin and fiberglass for a board for around $15.
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” - HST

Quote Originally Posted by GrassDiver View Post
    Do not become separated from the board, it is where you draw 'Stokeage Power', once separated, the 'Stokeage Power' is lost, and you become mortal.

Addicted Cruiser mercinariesgtr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just for reference i recently got some composits. i got a half gallon of reisin w/ the appropriate amount of hardener for 36 bucks. then i got 3 yardsx 27 inches of 4 oz s glass for 15 bucks and 3 yards by 30 of 6 oz s glass for 20 bucks. that amount of material is enough to do appx~6-7 ( probably a few more ) or so boards at a layer or two a board. the initial cost is high but if you buy a bunch its not too bad. for one board its going to be pretty expensive because you arent going to get a break on the reisin buying just a couple oz's. if you wanna do it cheaply you can always get polyester epoxy but i ve never used that before and from what i hear its not as good in many ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've actually just finished researching this question, and from what I've found, epoxy resin is infinitely better than polyester resin. Polyester is heavier and more likely to crack than epoxy resin. Epoxy costs more, but it's worth it.

I've got an order from US Composites in the mail, I'll let you know how things turn out when I get the shipment.

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS