ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fiberglassing in humid conditions, will it work?

Its raining out so it's really humid, and I'm planning to fiberglass in my garage. Just wondering if it will effect the final outcome. I realize it will take longer to cure, but will it adhere with the same strength?

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Grandpa's Sporting Wood I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fiberglassing in humid conditions, will it work?

Quote Originally Posted by kas627 View Post
    Its raining out so it's really humid, and I'm planning to fiberglass in my garage. Just wondering if it will effect the final outcome. I realize it will take longer to cure, but will it adhere with the same strength?
    If you are using epoxy, go for it. Relative humidity won't affect cure time or strength of epoxy. Temperature affects cure time. High humidity might increase the forrmation of amine blush is all--not a problem if dealt with properly.

You know everything else about epoxy....right?? Safety issue stuff, etc.......

Addicted Cruiser skeeterdechico's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that would matter to much. Just make sure it's laying flat and it should cure, temp is the bigger problem, I fiberglassed when it was like 105 outside and it literally curled up and went poorly at best.
    [swisschez] 12:35 am: time for wall-e
    [swisschez] 12:35 am: **** ya
    [Bottom Of The Hill]: swisschez has left at 12:35 am

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use extra resin hardener in your mix, that way it will dry quicker ad the heat and humidity has less of a chance of affecting it. (though i don't think it would in the first place. If you have a wood press then apply the fiberglass and resin like you normally would then place the board in the press with the fiberglassed side facing up, and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes to give the resin a chance to dry a little. Then place a large sheet of wax paper over the glass and tighten down the top half of the press. This will help make sure the fiberglass doesn't warp or bend when drying. Normally it doesn't warp under these conditions, but on occassion it can. Happy Glassing!

Grandpa's Sporting Wood I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garguinchona View Post
    Use extra resin hardener in your mix, that way it will dry quicker ad the heat and humidity has less of a chance of affecting it. (though i don't think it would in the first place. If you have a wood press then apply the fiberglass and resin like you normally would then place the board in the press with the fiberglassed side facing up, and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes to give the resin a chance to dry a little. Then place a large sheet of wax paper over the glass and tighten down the top half of the press. This will help make sure the fiberglass doesn't warp or bend when drying. Normally it doesn't warp under these conditions, but on occassion it can. Happy Glassing!
    Wait! He didn't say what type of resin he was planning to use. With epoxy, you can't vary the stated ratio of hardener to resin. If he's using polyester or vinylester resin, then he can use more catalyst for a quicker cure.

I wouldn't use wax paper over it either. A plastic film would be a much better choice--like mylar.

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS