ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Image Transfer InkJet to Wood

So I wanted to see if anyone has dabbled in inkjet transfer. Ive only done two test and i had success my second try. Here's the current proccess I've been using:

1. Take TRANSPARENTpaper (picked some up at kinkos) and coat a thin layer of elmer's washable glue. Let it dry.

2. Once it drys you'll barelly see anything on the page. You then print your design on the transparent paper and let the ink really dry on top of the elmer's.

3. Now on the part of the wood you would like to apply your design, lay a layer of mod podge (water proof glue for wood surfaces. Can be found at hobby lobby) on the wood. You then set the transparent paper down on the wood and let the mod podge dry.

4. Once the transparent has adhered to the wood. Most people soak the wood in water so the elmer's glue washe off and stays on the wood. One problem is the water can delaminate the board so we just peel it off without water and it works decently. Were still working with glue variations but seem to be getting better results.

Let me know what you think of the process. The nice thing with transparent is you can reuse it multiple times, just wash the elmer's off.
    "It's who you know that gets you in, It's what you do that keeps you there!"

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Grandpa's Sporting Wood I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Image Transfer InkJet to Wood

Quote Originally Posted by grantfree035 View Post
    So I wanted to see if anyone has dabbled in inkjet transfer. Ive only done two test and i had success my second try. Here's the current proccess I've been using:

1. Take TRANSPARENTpaper (picked some up at kinkos) and coat a thin layer of elmer's washable glue. Let it dry.

2. Once it drys you'll barelly see anything on the page. You then print your design on the transparent paper and let the ink really dry on top of the elmer's.

3. Now on the part of the wood you would like to apply your design, lay a layer of mod podge (water proof glue for wood surfaces. Can be found at hobby lobby) on the wood. You then set the transparent paper down on the wood and let the mod podge dry.

4. Once the transparent has adhered to the wood. Most people soak the wood in water so the elmer's glue washe off and stays on the wood. One problem is the water can delaminate the board so we just peel it off without water and it works decently. Were still working with glue variations but seem to be getting better results.

Let me know what you think of the process. The nice thing with transparent is you can reuse it multiple times, just wash the elmer's off.
    This is very interesting. Just to clarify, is the transparent paper is actually plastic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roj View Post
    This is very interesting. Just to clarify, is the transparent paper is actually plastic?
    Like the sheets that teachers use for overhead projectors in class? if so, can you tell that you slapped i piece of plastic under there?
    Wear a GODDAMN HELMET!
    Buck Skate Trucks - We are all filthy animals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ckruberducky View Post
    Like the sheets that teachers use for overhead projectors in class? if so, can you tell that you slapped i piece of plastic under there?
    Yes the ones you use for the overhead all you have to ask for is transparent paper, Transparent is clear film. theirs is made for laser printers but it doesn't matter because you are printing on top of elmer's glue. WARNING: (it will not work on a laser printer. laser printers will melt the elmer's glue!) I'm sure you can run a thicker plastic but that will make it difficult to conform to the board/ if your printer can handle thicker sheets.

I will be posting pictures soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grantfree035 View Post
    Yes the ones you use for the overhead all you have to ask for is transparent paper, Transparent is clear film. theirs is made for laser printers but it doesn't matter because you are printing on top of elmer's glue. WARNING: (it will not work on a laser printer. laser printers will melt the elmer's glue!) I'm sure you can run a thicker plastic but that will make it difficult to conform to the board/ if your printer can handle thicker sheets.

I will be posting pictures soon!
    ooooh, i was a little confused. so you put elmers glue on the transparent paper and print on the elmers glue side. GOTCHA!!! haha thanks brochacho
    Wear a GODDAMN HELMET!
    Buck Skate Trucks - We are all filthy animals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try doing the transfer with acrylic medium.
    The process is described here:

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...post1298381744

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hglider1997 View Post
    Try doing the transfer with acrylic medium.
    The process is described here:

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...post1298381744
    yeah, i've seen people use it. we try to avoid water so it doesn't delaminate the board.

Addicted Cruiser christiangates's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why does this sound so familur? oh cus your my graphic designer
    ZANG Longboards
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001781078640

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone here is my second success at image transferring. I did the print with an edge tone so the crumbly dark area is my fault. But i'm happy i was able to get an image with such detail and fine lines turn out perfect!

here's just a link to the page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/modern-mud/5111266196/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of printer and ink are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not sure his exact set up but its all standard nothing special. we tested that over and over and that was the only one the came out good. if you can find the right ratio then it will work out ok but honestly to much work. either buy some rice paper or silkscreen its much easier.
    Ink Jet Logo Paper
    ZANG Longboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't it be easier just to use T-shirt transfer paper? Its worked for me quite well. I don't see the difference in process really since either way you're putting ink from paper to the deck. Btw if you have an EPSON printer they work AMAZING for tshirt paper. I'm an aspiring graphic designer and got one for christmas and I'm in love, the ink is amazing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

havent heard of tshirt paper. sounds cool. but rice paper does not transfer to the wood, you clear coat the paper to the board and it almost wets out completly transparent depending on the background wood color
    ZANG Longboards

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS