ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default question for the metal flake freaks (loki)

Has anyone tried using childs glitter? from the childrens glitter emporium/?

I went and priced up some metal flake and holey fudwhumper it was like $150 nzd (thats about 90-100 usd) for an oz. goddammit. too much for me to do a trial.

so i thought in my ultimate cheapness whay not just buy some glitter chuck it in and see what happens.

any thoughts?

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: question for the metal flake freaks (loki)

haha
    go for it
    (no expertise)
    as dark as a black steer's toocus on a moonless prairie night.

Human Popsicle I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOAH thats alot, like ALOOOOOOT,
    ok give me a bit to type it up and i will break down all of it for you and everyone.

The only competition in life is yourself, but be warned it loves to throw challenges in your face, just to make it a fun experience..

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok heres the deal if buying automotive metalflake Such as House of Kolor or Old School Flake there base price is about $20usd per 2oz ($10oz) now this is just for the normal flake.

Now you can now get color changing flake just like the kameleon paint (the stuff that changes colors in different angles of light) but this stuff runs about $195usd and oz, yes i said $195usd.

And there are a couple other types of flake one is translucent flake, so it only sparkles under the right angle of light (very neat stuff), and raindow flake, this stuff changes all the colors in the rainbow, and you can get it in different colors, so its just the base normal rainbow flake with a translucent coating on it, so typically the color range when it sparkles always has a hue of the covering transperant color, so a blue rainbow flake will have a blueish tinge to the rainbow effect.
    Now these flakes run typically around $12-15usd an oz, so only a bit more expensive than the base stuff.

Also you can even get glow in the dark flake if you wanted.

Note all the above Prices are for dry flake.

Now the normal flake is typically cut in a hexigonal shape, and its size can range from 1/4" all the way down to .002", but im gonna generalize here but the good majority of all the automotive based stuff ranges from 1/64" (.015) down to .002

The reason for this is once you get past a certain size, you cannot use a paint gun to spray this stuff anymore using a clear coat as the flake carrier that is, so you have to go to a dry flake gun, in which you first spray down your clear coat and when its still wet you basically blow flake onto the wet coat of paint, and i only know of one company at the moment who makes one (old school flake's, Flake Buster, it can spray up to 1/8" flakes i believe).

Now the bigger the flake, the higger the amount of clear is needed to bury the flake, so that when wetsanding comes along you DO NOT cut into it, or else that nice green flake you just put down has suddenly turned chrome colored(the base color of flakes is silver/chrome and then there just coated in a colored transparent coating, well other than white flake that is).
    Note in order to really get a very heavy sparkle you need to make that clearcoat layer that covers the object (board, car, guitar, ect) glassy smooth, the reason for this is if you have an uneven surface, the light will reflect off the uneven surface of the clear coat before it ever touches the flake. Now im not saying you wont get a sparkle from a rough surface, just no where near as good as having a smooth one.

So back to sizing the most typical flake that you will find is in two sizes .015 and .008 (smaller the number the smaller the flake) but the .008 size is what most people see and think to be normal, and the .015 oviously is a larger looking flake, which it is. But by now you should realize that sizing typically goes in divisions just like how the imperial measurement system is well for the general size flake you will find, But it typically goes like this .04" .015" .008" .004" .002", i have and have used all of these sizes except the .002" which is closer to a pearl than a flake, But the .004" which is my new favorite size by the way creates a very nice sparkle effect, instead of the typicall in your face big flake effect, my new helmet was painted in this stuff, and also a very nice looking board that i have build for a buddy (which you should be done this weekend), this stuff can very easily be sprayed and buried in clear only after one or two coats, unlike the bigger stuff which takes many many coats.

Also flake comes in different shapes such as a square, rectangle, staple which is also called by the name Fiber, diamonds, stars, hearts ect.

So by now you should of had some thought such as this go through your head " Hmmm metalflake sure sounds alot like glittler and looks quite similar to it too" and to answer it yes it is glitter BUT there is something you need to know first before you run out to go buy some.

There is a difference between normal glitter and metal flake (a good majority of the time that is), this is the difference glitter is typically made from plastic, where as metalflake is made from polyester, the reson for this is that the polyester does not react to solvents or epoxys, like the plastic would, which would just melt more or less. So what you want to be looking for is Polyester Glitter, which is the real name for metalflake. So if using craft glitter, ALLWAY and i Mean ALLWAYS give it a test with your clear coat and or epoxies, to see if it reacts, if it dosent then its mostlikely polyester flake rather than plastic.

So if you are wondering where the name metal flake comes from, well back in the old days metal flake was actually made from very very thin coated aluminum, thus the name metalflake, so its kinda ironic that what we consider metalflake today does not even have any metal in it.

Also one last thing, the good majority of all these automotive paint Flake suppliers, buy there product from one mill, and that company (not comletely sure but about 99% sure) is Meadowbrook Inventions inc

The only competition in life is yourself, but be warned it loves to throw challenges in your face, just to make it a fun experience..

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So in condensed form, yes you can use craft glitter, just check to see if it dosent react to your clear coat or epoxies.

I could also sell you a bit if you want because i came accross a very good deal awhile ago from one person (there stock right now is basically absolutely gone), but lets just say i forked out some money and now have 20 Pounds of the stuff :shock::shock::shock:, yep thats correct 20 pounds as in 320oz, will i ever use it all most likey not, but im hopefull . But i have around 40 or so colors in 4 different sizes (not all colors in some sizes)

so as i say around here in a high pitched 3 year old voice "SPARKLE" lol yeah yeah at least i accept that i am crazy, i dont deny it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... Props.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris420
    WE ARE THE ONLY COMPANY OUT THERE THAT CAN SELL A BOARD THAT SKATES THE SAME AS A NON LIGHTED BOARD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, there should be like, a metal-flake sticky...
    I really enjoyed reading that, loki. I had no idea that metal flake was polyester.

I'D RATHER LIVE ON MY FEET THAN DIE ON MY FEET

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wanted to mention something about the fiber/staple rainbowflake, that stuff is so cool im my opinion, but it can only be used for some things as in mixed with a higlight color or non majority color, not that it can be used on the whole thing i just think it dosent look that good because its too over powering.

So this is basically my rule which you will also find alot of people think the same way just dont know how to express it in words.

But if it is a very powerful/vibrant paint(kameleon), effect, or flake(such as a rainbowflake) you want to keep that as a highlight or as teh non majority color/effect ect.

And to use a more subdued flake, effect or paint (like a metallic) for the major portion of the object your painting .

The reason for this is that when its in excess your eye dosent know where to look, and it more or less becomes confused even if your not aware your starting at certain sections, so when kept in the minor portion it adds not over powers the whole object.

A very good refernce i just hought of for this is, like when you check out a girl (or guy for those lady members) your looking at the overall combination of all the parts, sure you might say " she/he has a nice bum" but you also notice the overall figure unconsciously, where as if that person only had a big bum or whatever at thats all you would say that dosent look right, so the same im my opinion goes for very vibrant effects, paints, and flakes

So if you want to do a whole board in a flake, then i suggest doing it in a normal colored flake, no rainbow flake or anythign liek that, but that is just my opinion.

ALSO and a BIG ALSO here as a General Rule when putting on flake allways put down a basecoat prefurably a metallic base coat with the same color as the flake, so emerald green flake, with an emerald green basecoat, silver flake, to a silve basecoat, ect, this allows you to not have to put on a WHOLE HECK OF ALOT of flake in order to cover everything, and also allows you to regulate how much sparkel you want, from a "OH MY GOD MY EYES" sparkle, to a "oh thats cool how it shimmers like that in certain angles"

But you can mix different colored flakes with different colored basecoats for very cool effect, typically the base coat need to be dark in order for this to work, the one boar i metioned above uses this effect, in that on the black areas on the board it actually has a blue gunmetal flake sprayed on it, so its black under most angles and in low light situations, but you get that sucker under a nice light and right angle, it sparkles a silver blue

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damn one more thing, if only wanting to have to buy one type of flake go with a chrome/silver colored one, then use transparent paints (what is refered to candies) to achive the color you want

wow im long winded

ok ill shut up now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holey metalflake dissertation batman.

you are truly a metalflake guru/freak.

you answered my questions which i sorta already geussed.

usually in my ultimate cheapness i use water based enamel house paint when painting my boards (mainly because i use the paint elsewhere in my house).

so i think i could get away with the shize plastic flake stolen out or my daughters jeweler box.

ill try that first then when and if i want to step up to real mans flake ill keep you in mind. Remember im in nz even if i bought some of your cheap stuff id be faced with expensive freight charges.

ps i like the idea of "oh my god my eyes" flake for an over the top elvis prelsey diamond encrusted jacket style of finish.

im also thinking candy apple metalic red with flake

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

truthfully in that case i would lay down some silver basecoat then a silver flake then spray on a candy apple red, as i would look very nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Re: question for the metal flake freaks (loki)

Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post

I went and priced up some metal flake and holey fudwhumper it was like $150 nzd (thats about 90-100 usd) for an oz. goddammit. too much for me to do a trial.

so i thought in my ultimate cheapness whay not just buy some glitter chuck it in and see what happens.

any thoughts?
    Are you a nz board builder? know any good places to get wood and what sort i cant find Baltic Birch Plywood anywhere

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using REAL metalflake on a skateboard is expensive (like using any genuine automotive multi-stage paint).

On this board, I took exactly the shortcut you are asking about - using paint systems that borrow technology from genuine automotive products rather than the massively expen$ive real deal...
    And, I used glitter sprays from a craft shop in silver and gold, which I mixed in with my three-stage paint system as sort of a stage 2.5 (before the final clear).

Risk: It might have caused a reaction, incompatible paint systems can cause one another to peel, shrink, or crack. But most are compatible, and if so - no problem. Might be smarter to experiment with a test sample first to verify compatibility - issues occur before cure. But my thought was - this whole thing is an experimental skateboard:

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...concept-3.html

On that board:
    I could have used a flip-flop automotive paint, such as ones made by Alsa (who had an amazing booth at SEMA - you should see their chrome paints!!). Would have cost me at least $100 for a pint-sized product, maybe $200
    I did use a flip-flop paint system sold as a three-can set, rattle cans, available in Home Depot and hobby supply stores. Same effect, $20-$30

I could have used a true metal flake like those sold by House of Kolor. I don't think these are terribly outrageous, but I've never painted with them. I've seen metal flake as cheap as $15 for tiny bottles (all you'd need for a board, most likely) but the genuine article is probably over $25, maybe more for a real can that's more than 1 or 2 oz.
    I did use a spray can of silver, and a spray can of gold glitter spray, sold at hobby stores. It seems like this is suspended in an adhesive, not in a clear-coat, so you definitely need to clear coat over it, or it'll come off on your fingers. Makes for non-reactive compatibility, which is good. $2/can.

No harm going budget... especially when you are learning.
    And really - it's a skateboard, it's going to get scratched and scuffed - this isn't a show car.
    But you CAN get "show car" type results - just ones you don't feel too bad about scratching up down the road...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

someones sticky this

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmm... candies.

Still trying to figure out how to do that with a rattle-can solution.
    I figure maybe a silver metallic basecoat - automotive rattle-can - maybe silver glitter spray on top of that...

The transparent paint worries me. I've seen some products meant for tinting glass, but haven't experimented with them - and "misting" with either a rattle-can or airbrush with translucent paint would leave too much up to skill for getting a real, true, stripe-free, consistent finish - if it didn't end up looking speckled.

I love that look, though - real candies on cars just look wet. Walk up and lick them... lol

I did buy a blue rattle-can laquer "candy" once - but worried about reactions, and wondering if it's really a transparent topcoat system, or just a single-stage attempt at faking it, which probably isn't great.
    And - I bought it on chance at a discount store - I don't really have a source to find more... maybe online if it didn't work.

If anyone knows of any transparent/translucent paints, rattle-can form (besides the glass-tinting sprays), let me know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a low cost way to go is the sparkle flake used in tile grout,spectra lock ,you can get sparkle or glow.
    much finer like metallic dust then a regular sparkle,mix in paint,then last coat sprinkle on lightly and clear coat.
    you can find it in the tile isle at lowes.
    Dazzle Grout Color Additive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post

any thoughts?
    Hey bro if you live in NZ you can buy a paint from resene called resene metallics I used it on a board recently it looks like metel flake. Pretty sick but it's only 7 dollors a bottle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loadedfisherman View Post
    a low cost way to go is the sparkle flake used in tile grout,spectra lock ,you can get sparkle or glow.
    much finer like metallic dust then a regular sparkle,mix in paint,then last coat sprinkle on lightly and clear coat.
    you can find it in the tile isle at lowes.
    Dazzle Grout Color Additive
    Cool idea, but you still have to mix that into a clearcoat, which means you are forced into a liquid automotive product, plus all the equipment to mix and then spray that liquid, which is beyond most hobbyists.

On the other hand, glitter spray:

...is easier, and they sell it for like $2/can in the crafts department of any Wal Mart even.

I saw the glow in the dark grout additive when I did my last tile project in my bathroom - weirdness or what!

Banned Concrete Kahuna legendary's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a hobby shop that is into rc cars in the area, check and see if they carry the flake in small, inexpensive quantities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use these guys, and they post oversea's, cheap and a fairly good selection
    eBay UK Shop - CRYSTAL FLAKES:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS