ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bamboo Custom Raft Board!

okay guys, i had this idea a little while ago, but it took some time to actually get to trying, and then it took a lot longer to complete than i thought.

introducing Funk Bros. Longboarding's Velocity Raftor!

45" x 8", about 1" thick, (not at the trucks)

it weighs about 3 pounds! and about 7.5 w/ the trucks on.
    it's currently got indy 169's on it w/ some kryptonics 70mm 78a's

it's quite unique to ride... i haven't bombed any hills w/ it, but it's stable, i think. i need to apply some of my clear grip on it for me to want to ride any hills.

but as far as a cruiser and shorter dancer, it's pretty fun. there's some flex to it, and it's pretty strong! it doesn't bend hardly to my weight, about 160, and when my son stepped on w/ me it didnt' make much of a difference. (about 190lbs)

and it's pretty green! (if you're into that sorta thing) the bamboo came from my dad's backyard about an hour away, used a blow torch to burn and cure the bamboo (the ungreenest part), used about...maybe 400 yards of nylon string and tied a LOT of knots.
    a LOT. my fingers are still sore. i just did some quick calculations and it was EASILY over 1,000 knots. like, if it did it all in a row, it would take like... 15-20 hours. then, i glued the knots and some of the joints w/ a dab of elmer's brand of gorilla glue.

basically that's what i did.

it rides pretty sweet.

hope you guys enjoy the pics!

Attached Images Attached Images       
    ~funkpod
    soul-kitchen.org for some down home cookin'

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bamboo Custom Raft Board!

Wow that's insane. But, it looks like a lot of fun.

Addicted Cruiser Fishtale Boards's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

how did you mount the trucks. but that is definitely one of the most unique decks I have ever seen. The only improvement and it really isnt an improvement would have been to use hemp that way you would have the greenest deck out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha, talk about eco friendly board construction.

Post Thanks / Like

thats awesome!!! definetly the mst eco friendly board i have seen, i say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtale Boards View Post
    how did you mount the trucks. but that is definitely one of the most unique decks I have ever seen. The only improvement and it really isnt an improvement would have been to use hemp that way you would have the greenest deck out there.
    for the trucks, i drilled holes through the support pieces, then sealed the holes w/ some glue. the key is the rubber washer and risers to prevent direct contact w/ the metal on the trucks.

i thought about hemp, but it's a more $$$ than the nylon, i think? but more importantly, i just wanted to make sure my idea worked first.

thanks for the compliments, everyone! my goal wasn't necessarily to make a super eco board, but it turned out pretty well. i'm just glad it actually works!
    ~funkpod

Addicted Cruiser LandLockedboardingGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DUde Im loving it.....you have given me inspiration
    :::::stoke pound:::::
    Dude One-"Extend the Stoke"
    Dude Two--"Extended"

Dude Three---"Dually Extended"

"...--Eddie would go, when no else would or could. Only Eddie dared."
    -Burl Burlingame- Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 1998

Addicted Cruiser LandLockedboardingGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some bamboo, old but i might have to try a version....i have some hemp too....maybe something over the hemp to keep it protected...some wierd oganic resiny material.....i think you should make those boards for people...i bet they would be ridden....barefoot
    Dude One-"Extend the Stoke"
    Dude Two--"Extended"

Dude Three---"Dually Extended"

"...--Eddie would go, when no else would or could. Only Eddie dared."
    -Burl Burlingame- Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 1998

Post Thanks / Like

can i haz one??????

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool...
    That looks like what Gilligan would skate on..
    You need bamboo tiki torches hanging off the back for
    night time tiki rides..
    popular â‰* good
    galaclandsurfingdotcom
    gtcpldpdotcom

Addicted Cruiser smallhillrider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is one sweet looking board. I have bamboo in my backyard right here but I wonder if it's stable enough... Seems like a fun project!

Ok no my backyard bamboo wouldn't work. It's about 3 meters tall but only 1 cm wide at the bottom.
    D'you think it would work?

Cheers.

Oh yeah wait got one idea. You could use thinner bamboo branches to fill up the inequalities on the deck.

Post Thanks / Like

I love it!

as for hemp, isn't normal twine made with hemp? that stuff is really cheap, but would destroy your fingers if you spent 15 hours tying knots with it. scraaatchy...
    "Consequences are just harmless by-products of having a good time, all the time" --John Allison of Scary Go Round

Addicted Cruiser slidewalk samuri's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funkpod View Post
    for the trucks, i drilled holes through the support pieces, then sealed the holes w/ some glue. the key is the rubber washer and risers to prevent direct contact w/ the metal on the trucks.

i thought about hemp, but it's a more $$$ than the nylon, i think? but more importantly, i just wanted to make sure my idea worked first.

thanks for the compliments, everyone! my goal wasn't necessarily to make a super eco board, but it turned out pretty well. i'm just glad it actually works!
    From my experience with wood glue-hemp, Vs. any other glue-nylon rope, is that Elmers woodglue on hemp is the strongest bond I've found. I couldn't tell you exact tinsel stength of any of it. The hemp bond broke my scale on its first run( close to the weight of an 80's compact car 1300-1800 lbs per square inch)
    When the glue dries it takes on the strength of oak. To end the knot take and peg in the end of the hemp. I use a toothpick drill a hole in wood apply glue peg hole. Not sure how well that will work on Bamboo.
    Fourty-six mph with no PPE
    NO MORE
    WHEELABRATOR!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cchamlin View Post
    I love it!

as for hemp, isn't normal twine made with hemp? that stuff is really cheap, but would destroy your fingers if you spent 15 hours tying knots with it. scraaatchy...
    that's the problem. my fingers got very calloused after a while, and i didn't notice the soreness as much. i would spend like an hour-hour and a half a night watching tv and tying knots, and it would take 1 night basically to tie a row across.

Quote Originally Posted by LandLockedboardingGS
    I have some bamboo, old but i might have to try a version....i have some hemp too....maybe something over the hemp to keep it protected...some wierd oganic resiny material.....i think you should make those boards for people...i bet they would be ridden....barefoot
    this would definitely be a great board for barefoot, a great cruiser. and the ridges in the baboo help your bare feet stay in place.

i'd love to make more, but as it is, it's quite time consuming and my hands don't like the abuse, heheh.

Quote Originally Posted by smallhillrider
    Ok no my backyard bamboo wouldn't work. It's about 3 meters tall but only 1 cm wide at the bottom.
    D'you think it would work?

Cheers.

Oh yeah wait got one idea. You could use thinner bamboo branches to fill up the inequalities on the deck.
    good idea!

your bamboo might work, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by samhell
    Very cool...
    That looks like what Gilligan would skate on..
    You need bamboo tiki torches hanging off the back for
    night time tiki rides..
    totally!
    i am gonna try some tread tex for grip, too.
    maybe i'll fill the hollow bamboo chambers w/ kerosene and light it and ride!
    ~funkpod

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slidewalk samuri View Post
    From my experience with wood glue-hemp, Vs. any other glue-nylon rope, is that Elmers woodglue on hemp is the strongest bond I've found. I couldn't tell you exact tinsel stength of any of it. The hemp bond broke my scale on its first run( close to the weight of an 80's compact car 1300-1800 lbs per square inch)
    When the glue dries it takes on the strength of oak. To end the knot take and peg in the end of the hemp. I use a toothpick drill a hole in wood apply glue peg hole. Not sure how well that will work on Bamboo.
    my main problem wasn't the bamboo slipping off of the rope, but the rope slipping in the knots, so that's what the glue's for. technically, the board didn't need any of the glue, cuz the knots are darn tight, but i felt a lot better putting glue on it.

as far as drilling into bamboo, i wanted to keep it to a minimal. bamboo splinters very easily.

i'll try that elmer's woodglue and hemp, though! did you put hemp onto a wooden post, or something?
    ~funkpod

Addicted Cruiser Fishtale Boards's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Im definitely going to make one of these this summer but with mine I think I am going to make yours essentially then add smaller ones to fill in the gaps and probably use hemp, and I think what would be cool would to put epoxy over all of it to fill it in and make it flat then add a silicon grip. But I dont know about the epoxy thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS