ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Addicted Cruiser matt123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    When I brush it on I get these little runs, I was just wondering what I can do to avoid these. I always do end to end brush strokes to finish off, and I tried heating the clear up a bit to make it more runny (this seems like it may have actually made it worse).
    Attached Images Attached Images  


  2. ADVERTISEMENT


  3. #2
    walking on 4 wheels I Support The Fish
    Capo di Tutti Posto
    Xgecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    41.396226,-71.837462
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,754
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    6461

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    this is gonna sound mean but buy a better brush...when I was in College I had job as a house painter, I bought 3 very expensive china bristle brushes. I still have those brushes 20 years later they leave a smooth even coat even now

  4. #3
    Longskateaholic EnemaAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    21
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    I got a new mini spray gun for christmas lol, so ima shoot some poly through that and see how it turns out. I start my new board tommorow, so ill tell you how it turns out in a couple days.

  5. #4
    Concrete Kahuna samhell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ◄◄◄ �.Ď. ►►►
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    52

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    Use the cheap foam brushes.. I promise,
    your results will be 100 times better...
    Sanding and buffing out with a green scotch brite pad
    between coats will get you a smooth, beautiful finish.
    It's a ton of effort, but well worth it...
    And letting it fully cure, not just dry will make a
    huge difference..
    And don't heat it up, not recommended....
    Here is what 30 coats sanded and buffed lead to...
    Adam Coltons Balboa...
    popular â‰* good
    galaclandsurfingdotcom
    gtcpldpdotcom

  6. #5
    Addicted Cruiser matt123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    Do you wash and reuse the foam brushes a couple of times? Also you don't let it fully cure between each coat right?

    P.S. beautiful board
    Last edited by matt123; 12-28-2008 at 05:32 PM.

  7. #6
    Concrete Kahuna samhell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ◄◄◄ �.Ď. ►►►
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    52

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    I reuse the foam brushes, they last quite awhile.
    I just rinse them in hot water and squeeze them water out and let em dry.
    I let each coat cure about 6 hours before sanding and putting the next coat on.
    But every few coats, I let it sit for a day or so.
    I spend over 3 weeks applying all the coats..
    Polycrylic dries in about 2 hours,
    Cures after 12-18 hours.
    But, for it to truly, fully cure and harden,
    it takes 2-3 weeks depending on temp and humidity.
    After about 3 months it turns to a hard plastic surface.
    Some of the boards I built years ago have polycrylic surfaces
    that hard as hell, almost totally scratch resistant.
    Once I have all my coats built up and smooth,
    I let the board hang for a good week or more before
    doing the final sanding/buffing.
    The longer you let it sit and harden, the better
    it will turn out.
    popular â‰* good
    galaclandsurfingdotcom
    gtcpldpdotcom

  8. #7
    Addicted Cruiser .secrets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    the fargo flats.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    Polycrilic makes for a great finish. I may try samhell's route but what I normally do is this:

    http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...hed-board.html

    by loki. great tutorial
    Live to skate and skate to stay alive.

    TEAM ANTI-TACTIS

  9. #8
    Concrete Kahuna mbease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ill IL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,849
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    709

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    Quote Originally Posted by samhell View Post
    I reuse the foam brushes, they last quite awhile.
    I just rinse them in hot water and squeeze them water out and let em dry.
    I let each coat cure about 6 hours before sanding and putting the next coat on.
    But every few coats, I let it sit for a day or so.
    I spend over 3 weeks applying all the coats..
    Polycrylic dries in about 2 hours,
    Cures after 12-18 hours.
    But, for it to truly, fully cure and harden,
    it takes 2-3 weeks depending on temp and humidity.
    After about 3 months it turns to a hard plastic surface.
    Some of the boards I built years ago have polycrylic surfaces
    that hard as hell, almost totally scratch resistant.
    Once I have all my coats built up and smooth,
    I let the board hang for a good week or more before
    doing the final sanding/buffing.
    The longer you let it sit and harden, the better
    it will turn out.
    how is polyurethane different than polycrylic then, and would you suggest using polycrylic over polyurethane?

  10. #9
    Longskateaholic shortyman801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    hell, itself
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    Foam brushes work really well for anything that you don't want brushstrokes on. I would buy a 10 pack and not reuse them... but if you do want to reuse them, wash them out with water really well.

  11. #10
    Concrete Kahuna samhell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ◄◄◄ �.Ď. ►►►
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    52

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    onedorsfirew wrote: how is polyurethane different than polycrylic then, and would you suggest using polycrylic over polyurethane?
    I wouldn't use polycrylic over polyurethane.
    Polycrylic is water based poyurethane with an acrylic compound
    in it. Poyurethane is pretty much an oild based product.
    Polycrylic dries fast and hardens nicely.
    Polyurethane takes longer to cure, but it does achieve a tough finish.
    I prefer working with polycrylic for various reasons.
    Plus, polycrylic is water clear, i don;t like yellowing or amber in
    my clear coats.
    popular â‰* good
    galaclandsurfingdotcom
    gtcpldpdotcom

  12. #11
    Addicted Cruiser hoch92000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,303
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    62

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    Quote Originally Posted by samhell View Post
    I wouldn't use polycrylic over polyurethane.
    Polycrylic is water based poyurethane with an acrylic compound
    in it. Poyurethane is pretty much an oild based product.
    Polycrylic dries fast and hardens nicely.
    Polyurethane takes longer to cure, but it does achieve a tough finish.
    I prefer working with polycrylic for various reasons.
    Plus, polycrylic is water clear, i don;t like yellowing or amber in
    my clear coats.
    Looks like Miles is back, eh?
    Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors. You must try them all before finding the one you like the best.

  13. #12
    Concrete Kahuna samhell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ◄◄◄ �.Ď. ►►►
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    52

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    hoch92000 wrote: Looks like Miles is back, eh?
    Yeah, I had to do it... The kitty was great... But Miles is "the" man!
    popular â‰* good
    galaclandsurfingdotcom
    gtcpldpdotcom

  14. #13
    Addicted Cruiser hoch92000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,303
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    62

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    Quote Originally Posted by samhell View Post
    Yeah, I had to do it... The kitty was great... But Miles is "the" man!
    Yes, and his blinking red eyes are bada$$
    Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors. You must try them all before finding the one you like the best.

  15. #14
    Addicted Cruiser ielongboardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    i gotta try some of that stuffas a finish cause as it is whenever i put on thick coats of polyurethane over spray painted surfaces it always turns it yellowish

  16. #15
    Addicted Cruiser hoch92000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,303
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    62

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    Works real well. I've used it on wood, as grip subtrate, over epoxy, and over paint/stain. Good for all the above. Not quite as brilliant as polyurethane, but pretty good. Getting your boards to look like Samhell's is going to take some serious skill though. Don't expect a few coats to look like the Galac decks.
    Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors. You must try them all before finding the one you like the best.

  17. #16
    Concrete Kahuna JBH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    STL, MO
    Posts
    1,598
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    4852

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    Quote Originally Posted by samhell View Post
    Use the cheap foam brushes.. I promise,
    your results will be 100 times better...
    Sanding and buffing out with a green scotch brite pad
    between coats will get you a smooth, beautiful finish.
    It's a ton of effort, but well worth it...
    And letting it fully cure, not just dry will make a
    huge difference..
    I tried doing multiple coats of Polycrilic with a foam brush on a recent board. Only the very first coat seemed to look smooth, without brush strokes. Every subsequent coat had brush marks, regardless of whether I laid it on thin, thick or somewhere in between--and even when I sanded it perfectly smooth after several coats. Also, I found I had very little time to work it before it started to "set up". Any advice or suggestions?
    I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer. - Douglas Adams

  18. #17
    Concrete Kahuna samhell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ◄◄◄ �.Ď. ►►►
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    52

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    JBH wrote: I tried doing multiple coats of Polycrilic with a foam brush on a recent board. Only the very first coat seemed to look smooth, without brush strokes. Every subsequent coat had brush marks, regardless of whether I laid it on thin, thick or somewhere in between--and even when I sanded it perfectly smooth after several coats. Also, I found I had very little time to work it before it started to "set up". Any advice or suggestions?
    One thing to remeber is not to overbrush it, and only apply it on direction.
    I lay it on pretty thick and brush it on smoothly and slowly, then continue
    being careful not to go back over what I've already brushed.
    Working tempurature affects how fast it starts to set up, if it's too warm
    it won't smooth out nicely. Also having some humidity helps it stay wet longer.
    Another thing you can do it thin it out with a little filtered water, like 1 part water
    to 20 parts poly, make sure the water isn't warm. Mix it well.. When I'm
    doing the final few coats, I thin it out quite a bit, it makes it stay wet about
    twice as long, and it smooths it self out.
    Between coats, it's all about the sanding and buffing with scotch brite pads.
    I use 180 foam sanding blocks and I use the red (coarse) scotch brite pads
    you can get at ACE... Once I've gotten it smooth and all my layers on,
    once cured I sand with 220,320, 400 sanding blocks, then buff it with
    the no scratch scotch brite pads, then a towel, then a terry cloth rag,
    It usually takes at least 25 coats to get it perfect...
    Last edited by samhell; 01-04-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    popular â‰* good
    galaclandsurfingdotcom
    gtcpldpdotcom

  19. #18
    Addicted Cruiser matt123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    I switched to foam brushes and my results are much better, this is as much as I could get done on the board before leaving back for school, its got about 10 or 12 coats on the top and bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  20. #19
    Concrete Kahuna JBH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    STL, MO
    Posts
    1,598
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    4852

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    Quote Originally Posted by samhell View Post
    One thing to remeber is not to overbrush it, and only apply it on direction.
    I lay it on pretty thick and brush it on smoothly and slowly, then continue
    being careful not to go back over what I've already brushed.
    Worth a try. And I guess that you just try to keep overlaps to a minimum? (i.e. the board is wider than your brush, so you need a few "stripes" to cover the whole thing--but you just keep the overlap as small as possible?)

    Working tempurature affects how fast it starts to set up, if it's too warm
    it won't smooth out nicely. Also having some humidity helps it stay wet longer.
    Very helpful. It was pretty dry when I did mine.

    Another thing you can do it thin it out with a little filtered water, like 1 part water
    to 20 parts poly, make sure the water isn't warm. Mix it well.. When I'm
    doing the final few coats, I thin it out quite a bit, it makes it stay wet about
    twice as long, and it smooths it self out.
    Also very helpful.

    Between coats, it's all about the sanding and buffing with scotch brite pads.
    I use 180 foam sanding blocks and I use the red (coarse) scotch brite pads
    you can get at ACE... Once I've gotten it smooth and all my layers on,
    once cured I sand with 220,320, 400 sanding blocks, then buff it with
    the no scratch scotch brite pads, then a towel, then a terry cloth rag,
    It usually takes at least 25 coats to get it perfect...
    Zowie! That's a lot of work. And I thought I was particular. Your finishes are amazing, though, so your approach obviously works.

    So I guess it's kind of a "two steps forward, one step back" type of thing--lay down some finish, take some off (by sanding/buffing); lay down some more, take some off...and so on.

    Thanks for the info. I may just have to give it another shot.
    I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer. - Douglas Adams

  21. #20
    Addicted Cruiser matt123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Finishing with Minwax Polycrylic

    I thought 'd just add this here, the board is the same shape as the stained one above, made for my sister. The artwork is done by Mark Carroll, I unfortunately lack the talent to do something of that caliber.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT



OUR SPONSORS


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •