ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Addicted Cruiser xvd Longboards's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How To: Make a Fullsize PDF Template

I’ve had several people express some interest in how to make a Fullsize Multipage PDF template of a board shape that you can print out and tape together to trace a board shape.
    First, you will have to download some software, or if you have something compatible that will do.
    You’ll need Adobe Illustrator. You can get a free thirty day trial.
    Adobe Illustrator CS4 Trial From CNET.com

After you have Illustrator Installed, you are ready to begin.

Step1: Start up Illustrator and you’ll be at the welcome screen:

Step2: Lets Create a New Print Document:

Step3: This will bring up the following screen. Lets create a about a 36in board. Set our square workspace as 36in wide and 10in tall. You may need to select inches in the drag down box. Click OK to create it.

Step4: We see our workspace in front of us.

Step5: Click the Line Segment Tool, Hotkey (\)

Step6: With the Line Segment Tool selected click on the workspace and it will bring up the exact input box. You can also drag and drop the line like in Powerpoint but we want to be exact. Make it 36in long and have an angle of 0°. This will be the centerline. Click OK to create it

Step7: With our line now on the screen we need to center it up. In the top bar is the exact x (horizontal) and y (vertical) coordinates of the line. We want it centered both x and y so set x = 36÷2=18in and y= 10÷2=5in.

Step8: Now we have our centerline in place; time to start on the board outline. The mouse wheel shift the screen up and down, The CTRL key with the mouse wheel shifts the screen left and right, the ALT key with the mouse wheel zooms in out. Lets look at the left side of the workspace. Select the Pen Tool (P).

Step9: Click on the left tip of your line with pen tool. (You’re cursor will show a / (slash) next to the pen tip. This indicates you are going to continue to add to the line segment you previously created. This anchors you first point. Now click on a spot that would be further along the board shape and HOLD and drag outwards. This will create handles of a curve which allows you to fine tune the curvature.

Step 10: Work your way down the board and finish the outline by clicking on the tail end of the centerline line.

Step11: In the top right corner is the basic colors selector. One chooses the Fill; one chooses the Outline. Select the Half outline and set the fill to gray.

Step12: Right click on the half outline and select Transform->Reflect.

Step12a: Choose horizontal reflection; preview it to make sure it’s correct, then click COPY. This is the other half of the outline.

Step13: Line it up on the other half of the center line. Use the exact dimensioning boxes, again. Select the top edge as the edge to measure from.

Step14: Merge the Two halves together. Select the Pathfinder Tool from the Window menu.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How To: Make a Fullsize PDF Template

Step14a: Select the top and bottom portions and click the merge button on Pathfinder Toolbar.

Step14b: Make the Outline black and fill white.

Create a rectangle. Click the Rectangle Tool (M) and click on the screen to input the exact dimensions. Width= 2.125, Height = 1.65625 The corners of the rectangles with be where your four bolt holes should be drilled.

Step15a: Select the rectangle you just created and copy (CTRL+C) and paste it (CTRL+V).

Step 16: Align up the two rectangles to the centerline. Click the button align to Artboard and then line it up to the horizontal centerline. Then drag them to the relative positions you want the bolt holes. Realign it to the centerline.

Step17: Your Outline is finished, but we’ll have to break it into sheets so we can print it out on a normal printer and tape it together. First save your work as a PDF.

Step18: Draw some vertical lines 7.5 inches apart, you are going to use these to line up the printed versions. I hope by now you can figure out how to place them on our own. Save it again.

Step19: Create a New Print Document, portrait.

Step 20: Click file and go to “Place” and place the other board.pdf in the workspace. It will be bigger than the artboard.

Step20a:Align the first rectangle to your sheet of paper.

Step 20b: Save it as “1st Piece” or something like that so you can tell them apart.

Step 21: Saved as a PDF, it looks like this:

Step21a: Move the placed board pdf to the next rectangle. Save as “2nd part” Make Sure you don’t overwrite that first one.

Post Thanks / Like

Step 22: Repeat until you do all the panels.

Step 23: Print out on Cardstock, cut out, tape together and you have a fullsize outline. Happy Building.

Here is the PDF Created.
    PDF Tutorial.pdf

Hope that helps everyone. Feel free to ask me any questions or comments

Post Thanks / Like

this is aweosme! great tutorial!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFiend View Post
    we gonna hug it out bitch

Post Thanks / Like

Thats not the easiest way to go about it.. but yea.. I design all my boards in Illustrator and plot them out to cut my parts
    Common Sense is soluble in Testosterone ..and THC, GHB and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

[SIGPIC]http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic19789_2.gif[/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

This is amazingly helpful. +1
    Last edited by AnjewDang; 03-08-2009 at 08:23 PM.
    Loaded Dervish Black Randals/Old Charger Bushings/Lime BigZigs
    Landyachtz Mummy Sidewinders/GoS

Post Thanks / Like

sick. Will save a LOT of time for me.
    Pulse Longboards

Post Thanks / Like

is there a way to impose a drilling or dropthrough template onto the board template and still have everything print to the right scale?

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go. Just open the PDF in Illustrator and copy and paste the drop though and place on your template.

Fullsize drop through template for everything pretty much. Use a 1 1/4" and 1 1/'8" Spade Bit for the smaller holes and a 2 1/4" Hole saw for the big one.

Drop Through Template.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend you print out your designs on card stock. Much easier to trace, doesn't deform under the pressure of your pencil.

Post Thanks / Like

Great tutorial!
    Ho a’e ka ‘ike he’e nalu i ka honua o ka ‘ale
    Show your knowledge of surfing on the back of a wave.
    -Hawaiian Surfing Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

how would you do this without illustrator on a mac? are there any similar programs?

Post Thanks / Like

There's an easier way to do this; if your project is larger than a 8.5x11 page, Illustrator can actually tile the image across multiple sheets of paper.

After creating your shape in Illustrator to scale, go to File>Print.

Looking at the screenshots I've attached, go to Setup in the left dialog box (where it says General, Setup, Marks and Bleed, etc.)

In the Tiling pull down menu, select Tile Full Pages. The thumbnail shown in the Print dialog box now switches to showing my shape tiled across 8 pages. Since I reeeeeally don't want to cut and tape all those pages out, I'm going to be smart about this.

Go back to the General tab. Change the orientation of the pages from portrait to landscape (circled in red). Notice that now that the thumbnail of my shape has shifted to tiling across 4 pages instead of 8....so much easier. Now I'll print this out, tape the pages together, and cut the whole thing out.

I usually throw the shape down on a hard surface and stand on it, so I can see how it would look standing on the deck. This has seriously helped me avoid fatal mistakes in making my first couple of blanks, no joke.

If this is giving you trouble, do what i do: when creating new projects for longboard shapes, make the height whatever you want, and the width 10.75 inches (273mm). That should tile pretty nicely.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    You know you're from Texas when you think Dr. Pepper is the best damn coke in the world.

"If I have seen a little farther, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~Issac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelshield09 View Post
    There's an easier way to do this; if your project is larger than a 8.5x11 page, Illustrator can actually tile the image across multiple sheets of paper.

After creating your shape in Illustrator to scale, go to File>Print.

Looking at the screenshots I've attached, go to Setup in the left dialog box (where it says General, Setup, Marks and Bleed, etc.)

In the Tiling pull down menu, select Tile Full Pages. The thumbnail shown in the Print dialog box now switches to showing my shape tiled across 8 pages. Since I reeeeeally don't want to cut and tape all those pages out, I'm going to be smart about this.

Go back to the General tab. Change the orientation of the pages from portrait to landscape (circled in red). Notice that now that the thumbnail of my shape has shifted to tiling across 4 pages instead of 8....so much easier. Now I'll print this out, tape the pages together, and cut the whole thing out.

I usually throw the shape down on a hard surface and stand on it, so I can see how it would look standing on the deck. This has seriously helped me avoid fatal mistakes in making my first couple of blanks, no joke.

If this is giving you trouble, do what i do: when creating new projects for longboard shapes, make the height whatever you want, and the width 10.75 inches (273mm). That should tile pretty nicely.

Hope this helps.

You have Adobe Illustrator but you still use MSPaint?

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I used GIMP. Like Photoshop, but free. Quick n' easy, man. But I can appreciate the irony here...lol.

Props to xvd for getting this up here, too. This is a great way for people (like me) who haven't built many boards to avoid some costly mistakes...
    You know you're from Texas when you think Dr. Pepper is the best damn coke in the world.

"If I have seen a little farther, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~Issac Newton

Editor at Skate[Slate] I Support The Fish
    Addicted Cruiser
    Post Thanks / Like

great tutorial

subscribe for future reference.

Post Thanks / Like

this thread is beastly and endlessly helpful. thank you, XVD

Concrete Kahuna southshorelocal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed
    Rayne-Kebbek-Landyatchz-Earthwing-Comet-Arcane-Venom-Abec 11-Randal-VXB-MHS-Backwoods-Caliber

Post Thanks / Like

god i love this thread. makes working with customers on what shape they want a breeze.

Post Thanks / Like

can i get some help with that dropthrough template? when i open it in illustrator, how do i get just the template? will i have to trace it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS