ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default carbon fiber foam-core help

have a few questions about making a drop-through foam-core.

1.how many layers of carbon fiber would i need to make the board completely stiff for someone whos 200lbs?

2.how thick should the foam be?
    WHAT THE F##K IS THIS GUY DOING?

please tell me

it keeps me up at night

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: carbon fiber foam-core help

Experiment
    Make some samples
    Whether I'm cruising the hood looking for the ladies or flying down my favorite hill at 40, I ride PARIS TRUCKS!!!

2/25/10: Today I tried to slide around a corner. I almost succeeded, but I forgot I was in my mom's minivan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etofun View Post
    have a few questions about making a drop-through foam-core.

1.how many layers of carbon fiber would i need to make the board completely stiff for someone whos 200lbs?

2.how thick should the foam be?
    We need more details to help you build your board.

Firstly you could use one layer or 100 layers of fabric and get the same results BUT we need to know what weight and weave of fabric you have available to give you a better suggestion.

Stiffness is more of a function of core thickness than skin but can be affected what core you choose. I would also suggest you think about how your rails are going to be protected as a foam core wrapped in carbon will fail the moment you crack the rail ( early foam evo were like this due to a very short rail lap). I would also suggest thinking how to stop the skin shearing away from the core too as most foams have very low shear strength in a flexing beam (even if a board only flexed 1mm it still FLEXING and pulling at the face of the foam... just like bending the ring pull on a can back and forth over and over the foam slowly "lets go" so while the board is still fully functional it loses that new foamie smell... i mean solidness) There are ways to help reduce this but for now just start simple.
    Thanks for reading yet an other rant by Jestah the Uglie Carnie
    www.ugliecarnie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jestah View Post
    We need more details to help you build your board.

Firstly you could use one layer or 100 layers of fabric and get the same results BUT we need to know what weight and weave of fabric you have available to give you a better suggestion.

Stiffness is more of a function of core thickness than skin but can be affected what core you choose. I would also suggest you think about how your rails are going to be protected as a foam core wrapped in carbon will fail the moment you crack the rail ( early foam evo were like this due to a very short rail lap). I would also suggest thinking how to stop the skin shearing away from the core too as most foams have very low shear strength in a flexing beam (even if a board only flexed 1mm it still FLEXING and pulling at the face of the foam... just like bending the ring pull on a can back and forth over and over the foam slowly "lets go" so while the board is still fully functional it loses that new foamie smell... i mean solidness) There are ways to help reduce this but for now just start simple.
    QFT
    QFT QFT QFT QFT
    CHIxILL BOARDS

LEGENDARY LONGBOARDS

CHICAGO LONGBOARD SOCIETY

Quote Originally Posted by KJ FiveTwo View Post
    Pyro technics at a jonas bros concert? Wont that scare all the middle aged women there with their 7 year old daughters and homosexual sons?
    NEW LONGBOARD LARRY OSD FOR SALE COMPELTE

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS