ADVERTISEMENT

Addicted Cruiser JaeKay L M N O P's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Foam-Core Board with fiberglass

Hey...I was thinking about a project for the summer to introduce myself not only to fiberglass, but to foam core. Basically, I'm interested in making a dropped board, much like the DH race. I want to make it relatively cheap, meaning no Carbon Fiber or super expensive composites. I was wondering if using foam core for a center, with many layers of fiberglass, on each side, would work. If so, approximately how many layers of glass? Also...Are there any cheaper composites I could use to stiffen the board? I'm avoiding wood on this one, so putting bends in the board is much easier.

Thanks.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

either way you go its gonna cost ya glass aint too cheap and your gonna need a lot, should be a tough build too but a fun project i say good luck!

Addicted Cruiser JaeKay L M N O P's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah.....I was just looking up prices and realized how much it's gonna cost me

I might have to rethink this.

But, reply anyway, cause there's a good chance I'll end up doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know you dont want to use wood but i dont think one or two plies would hurt and also bring the total cost down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skip the wood get some CF tape from "http://www.sollerpaddles.com/composites/carbon%20fiber%20uni-fabric.html" (when i was searching for my materials they had the best prices on CF bad part is they dont carry any glass.) Anyhow use a couple strips of CF tape on the bottom to stiffen it up, dont ask me how much as i have no idea.

My thought would be layup your glass and put your trucks on ride it, then put a strip of the cf tape on see how much it tightens it up, keep going till you get it where you want.

Soller has good prices on epoxy also. My Vac bag stuff I got from ACP Composites "http://www.acp-composites.com/" they have a nice selection of glass also.
    ~ Someone is Always listening ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that site for the vacuum bagging systems looks like it has decent prices for a setup, which one did you get, and any comments would be helpful

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didnt get a set up, I ordered a few yards of Nylon Bag, Breather, and preforated release ply as well as some sealant tape. Out on the web are places that tell you how to make your own vac pump from junk ie. a fridge freon compressor. I used a gast pump that my work has for sucking a Core drill to concrete.

If you really want the exact stuff i bought I can dig up my recipt, but if you dont NEED it i aint looking.
    ~ Someone is Always listening ~

Longskateaholic sidewalk_surfer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

composites arnt the best material for dh bombers. they are too responsive. an all wood maple deck is muck damper, and there are materials you can use to further enhance the dampening properties of a deck. vibrations cause wobbles, and wobbles = not fun. you want a deck that cancels these out, not increases them.
    Chris Trunek Designs

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS