ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question All Terrain Freeboard?

Didn't somebody post a picture/vid of an all terrain Freeboard variant here in the Hybrids forum a while back? Couldn't find it with the search feature.

If you know the link for it, please post it here.

Mahalo
    BgS
    The older I get, the better I was...
    Keeping the Stoke

http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/
    Formerly known as BluegrassSurfer

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: All Terrain Freeboard?

www.wackyboards.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk8norcal View Post
    I had a feeling it was you...

Mahalo nui loa!
    The older I get, the better I was...
    Keeping the Stoke

http://www.bgsurf.blogspot.com/
    Formerly known as BluegrassSurfer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been trying to find this guy and get a go on it! Problems I can see are he's using a Trampa deck which has no torsional flex whatsover (very important for freebording!) coupled with skyhooks means very little control.

I'd love to see snowboard bindings and a cheap ply deck on that thing. What's really cool is it looks like it could be retro-fitted to any old mountainboard of the MBS style!

I haven't seen anything other than his original posts in a few different forums stating it's a Uni project. The off-road freebord has become a bit of an insider joke in the freeborder community but this is the best idea yet. Doubt we'll ever see a production model, it's a niche of a niche of a niche!

Would be awesome on a golf course!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens with a Freebord on rough surfaces? Not so good I've heard.

I admire whoever it was that made this board for his abiltity to put a protoype together. However, I don't think he understood the Freebord enough to apply its design to off-road use.

The Freebord depends on the wheels on the pressure side of the board to side slip in the direction of travel when the caster wheels take over the majority of directional traction.

How is a rubber pnuematic tire going to side slip on an uneven surface? Maybe something like this may work if all the wheels were casters. This board would have to have the casters wheels set way high so that when it was turned to the fall line it could just barely touch the surface. Think about this board turned to the fall line and the pressure side tire catching a little clump if turf.

This design might work on dirt (or mud) if the axles were wider, the casters set higher and the tires were smaller, had no tread and could hold a high pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All good points, I don't think mountainboard tyres will have any trouble sliding though, stand up slides/drifts are basic stuff on a mountainboard.

I doubt we'll ever see a functional off road freebord, the downfall of regular freebords is you need quite specific terrain (steep and smooth). At first glimpse an off-road freebord would solve this but really only golf courses or well kept parks in the rain are usable so it kind of defeats the point!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that would be perfect for landkiting on the beach! wonder if I can retrofit it to my GI AK103??
    Being good at what you do is wonderful, an open mind is everything...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KiteBum View Post
    that would be perfect for landkiting on the beach! wonder if I can retrofit it to my GI AK103??
    Now you might have something there.

Sand would be a more consistant surface to slide. Although you would have to widden the casters so that they would have more surface area and not sink in. I could see the axle wheel tires being a really flat shape with no tread.

Although, with a kite, you have the ability to control how much weight is on your wheels with your arms lifting on the control bar - especialy if you are flying with a harness.

What would be the advantage of a Freebord type truck in kitebboarding?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would be the advantage of a Freebord type truck in kitebboarding?
    longer slides, and much much more forgiving of landings from jumps. Possibly more agile with out sacrificing stability at speed(don't know enough about freeboard truck to know that one.).

Although you would have to widden the casters so that they would have more surface area and not sink in
    maybe not, we only hit the beach at low tide, the sand is very well hard packed(bellow the high tide mark).
    Being good at what you do is wonderful, an open mind is everything...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KiteBum View Post
    longer slides, and much much more forgiving of landings from jumps. Possibly more agile with out sacrificing stability at speed(don't know enough about freeboard truck to know that one.).

maybe not, we only hit the beach at low tide, the sand is very well hard packed(bellow the high tide mark).
    I think you are right. I could see it being better landing jumps due its ability to grab traction in so many places. True about speed too. If you get up on the casters wheels in a straight line you are more stable the faster you go.

Low tide hard pack sand is the way to go.

Here's and idea for you. If you have an open line of beach with no jetties I wonder how a skim board with bindings would work being pulled by a traction kite?

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS