ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Inverted trucks with mountainboard wheels?

For a while, I've been trying to figure out how to fit a set of mountainboard wheels onto a conventional longboard without ending up with a board that's hopelessly high off the ground. Basically, all I'm really after is a board for around town that can roll over anything with ease. Right now I have a sector 9 pintail with randall RIIs and 85mm kryptos. Even without any risers, 85mm is at the limit for what is comfortable to ride as far as deck height is concerned.

However, I was thinking, how would the function of trucks be affected if they were mounted upside down? I was planning on using a set of the 15.5" trucks that MBS uses on that hybrid cruiser they make, drop through mounting them, but actually having the hanger on the top side of the board. This would put the axle slightly above the top of the deck.

Then, once a set of 8" mountainboard wheels are installed, since the trucks are so wide, they would actually clear the board and reach down below the bottom of the deck, giving me mountainboard sized wheels while still keeping the deck at a reasonable height. Is this at all feasible? Is this crazy? Would a truck even function upside down? (Playing around with my current board seems to suggest they would.) Obviously I'd need a pretty long board to do this so I'd have plenty of room to still ride without the trucks themselves getting in the way.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Inverted trucks with mountainboard wheels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try turnng the trucks backwards if they're upside down because they'll turn the opposite way you're leaning if you simply flip a board over!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My gut says that it would still work. Whether or not it does, I would love to see pictures of it set up. That would look unbelievably awesome

+1 thinking outside the box
    Yup...I gots me some longboards.
    Rayne
    Soda Factory
    Cult
    MHS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the late 90's they was a mountainboard called "J-Board". Myself and a friend copied the basic design using a longboard deck (aprox. 48") and Indy 215's mounted on the top of the deck. We had to use axel extenders, and then 12" Skyway bike wheels. With footstraps mounted to the deck, it was low, fast and fun! I think a company called Mountain Skate came out with a similar one, but theirs really sucked. I like your idea of the drop-thru mount and 8" tires. Let us know how it works, and try to post pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, using those massively wide conventional style trucks from MBS, I don't think I would need to drop through mount them. I was kind of eyeing things up based on my RIIs, but randalls seem like they're very tall trucks. My only concern is getting the axle too high above the deck, so the deck actually sets too low, hence the need to drop through mount (to actually RAISE the deck) but I don't think it would be an issue with more conventional trucks that aren't so tall. I will put something on the bottom of the board however much like those tarantula trucks to keep the hardware from pulling through.

I'd like to do this on something massive like a fat daddy or a sector 9 luke, but unfortunately I think those boards may be too wide and cause wheel clearance issues (even with the wide trucks, we are dealing with 8" wheels here). I'm probably limited to a pintail style of board. I just hope a 47" or so board is long enough to still have room to ride between those massive wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunno where all these spammers came from lately, but its a nice reminder about this thread at least. So...any news on this? I'm curious to know how it turned out/if it worked at all
    Yup...I gots me some longboards.
    Rayne
    Soda Factory
    Cult
    MHS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just revisiting this thread since I'm still thinking about doing this. But, it's too cold to ride anything right now. My biggest fear is that I'll buy everything, mount it all together, but end up having wheel bite (from the massive wheels hitting the side of the deck). I should be able to calculate it out though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, looks like MBS drills their trucks exclusively with a 2.5" spacing. I just measured my current Sector 9 pintail, and it's 2.25". Is it acceptable to drill another set of holes in a deck for old school bolt spacing, or would they be too close to the other holes? Soul Ryde makes a really nice looking pintail that's about the same length, and looks to have 2.5" spacing, but really I don't think I'd like to have a $125 deck that looks that nice. I'd feel too bad about nicking it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    Well, looks like MBS drills their trucks exclusively with a 2.5" spacing. I just measured my current Sector 9 pintail, and it's 2.25". Is it acceptable to drill another set of holes in a deck for old school bolt spacing, or would they be too close to the other holes? Soul Ryde makes a really nice looking pintail that's about the same length, and looks to have 2.5" spacing, but really I don't think I'd like to have a $125 deck that looks that nice. I'd feel too bad about nicking it up.
    In all honestly, you could ride a board with only two bits of hardware going through it (not that I'd recommend it), and as long as you have the other two bolts tight on the board it doesn't matter how snug they fit in the hole. So go for it.

You joined in 2005 but only made this post a few months ago? I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by animal chin View Post
    Hell, you could be aggressive pogo-sticking down handrails, or rollerblading, and I will still chill with you. As long as you do it like you mean it, even if you suck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me neither, haha. I remember I got my first (and only) longboard back in 2005. I probably just registered to be able to search or look at attachments in the beginning or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me neither, haha. I remember I got my first (and only) longboard back in 2005. I probably just registered to be able to search or look at attachments in the beginning or something.
    That's what I did initially. then I made friends on here and it went from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by animal chin View Post
    Hell, you could be aggressive pogo-sticking down handrails, or rollerblading, and I will still chill with you. As long as you do it like you mean it, even if you suck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, all of the hardware is on order. I think I'm going to size everything up on my current board before I buy a deck to put it on. I'm really worried about wheel bite with those giant tires. I'm hoping that the wide 15.5" trucks avoid it, but if they don't I'm kind of screwed. I think I can get away with it by using a nice narrow pintail.

Anyway, I'm going with all MBS parts aside from the deck... ATS Pro titanium trucks, trispoke nylon hubs, 8" roadie tires, and stainless 9.5mmx28mm bearings. Not only should this thing be able to roll over anything, but with each hub weighing just over 8oz, it should also roll forever. Can't wait, still just worried about wheel bite.
    Last edited by Sad, little man; 01-26-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those tarantula trucks look really lame, and they're 125 dollars.... someone is smoking crack.
    I have a bunch of skateboards

Isn't this what you're supposed to put in a signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the parts are here, and... I'm really not sure if it's going to work the way I want. Luckily, wheel bite is not really going to be an issue. Those trucks are plenty wide enough for the wheels to clear a relatively narrow deck. The problem is, the deck is low. I mean like... Take the lowest downhill board and drop it some more. I just test fit everything and rolled the board around a little. Currently, it's barely ridable. The edges of the deck scrape in almost any turn.

Obviously the answer is to go with a drop through mount to actually raise the deck up some. I might even have to put some risers between the deck and the trucks after I drop the trucks through to raise it even more. Only bad part is that the overall ground clearance will never get any higher than the baseplate of the truck when it's flipped over. Even so, that height is still just a little higher than the ground clearance my Randals have with 85mm wheels, so overall it's not that bad. It's not going to be an off-road king, but it should handle going off the pavement into grassy areas with no problem. Anyway, you wanted pictures... Keep in mind I'm nowhere near calling it done. The deck is nowhere near high enough to ride at this point. I'll probably buy a new, similar deck as well to mount all of this on to keep this one for my Randals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That rules!.. Reminds me of my first board..

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...periments.html
    http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...me-despot.html

It was based on a very similar initial desire.. for the 'road bike' of skateboards..

I would consider messing around with some similar metal plates (with significant drops in them) with the trucks upright, to get the deck at a better height, with good ground clearance.

Having the long wheelbase make for easier pushing too.. no clipping the wheel with your foot.

EDIT:
    ..or leave the trucks upside down and put lappers (plastic wedges) in front of the baseplates to ramp up over any obstructions..

..also, I think the mountainboard trucks might need to be wedged in order to turn well? since they're usually mounted on the angled up ends of a mountain board..
    Last edited by kraffft; 02-02-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a drop through to raise it a bit?!

@krafft: (I think) Skate style ATB trucks are usually paired with a 15* deck as they do turn a bit (they're just an extended indy-style truck) whereas channel trucks go with 35* as they are 0* to start with (might not be exact on that)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, those trucks have a similar kingpin angle to standard skate trucks. They turn fine with no wedging. I dropped the first truck through the deck this evening. I think once both trucks are dropped through, and maybe after another 1/8" riser on top of that, it should be high enough off the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the parts are here, and... I'm really not sure if it's going to work the way I want. Luckily, wheel bite is not really going to be an issue. Those trucks are plenty wide enough for the wheels to clear a relatively narrow deck. The problem is, the deck is low. I mean like... Take the lowest downhill board and drop it some more. I just test fit everything and rolled the board around a little. Currently, it's barely ridable. The edges of the deck scrape in almost any turn.

Obviously the answer is to go with a drop through mount to actually raise the deck up some. I might even have to put some risers between the deck and the trucks after I drop the trucks through to raise it even more. Only bad part is that the overall ground clearance will never get any higher than the baseplate of the truck when it's flipped over. Even so, that height is still just a little higher than the ground clearance my Randals have with 85mm wheels, so overall it's not that bad. It's not going to be an off-road king, but it should handle going off the pavement into grassy areas with no problem. Anyway, you wanted pictures... Keep in mind I'm nowhere near calling it done. The deck is nowhere near high enough to ride at this point. I'll probably buy a new, similar deck as well to mount all of this on to keep this one for my Randals.

I think this has crossed the mind of many, but it may be overkill. Just think about the problem you are tring to solve, and ask if it will actually make it better....but hell, if it's fun, go for it - at least try it!! But first you have to turn the trucks around. If you flip them upside down, then you also have to flip them so the pivots face each other opposite of what you normally do or you will turn left when you are right, and turn right when you are wrong - you get the idea. It's like a bizzarro skateboard.
    www.earthwingskateboards.com

CREATOR OF GIANTS
    don't listen to them, those guys are nuts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are flipped around in those pictures. You've been looking at Randal trucks for too long.

If it works, it works. If it doesn't, I can always just buy an MBS deck to mount them on. I have a feeling it's going to work, but maybe not have the offroad capability I'd really like because of the ground clearance. Should be really smooth on pavement though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS