ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help on new freeride board.

Hey there, I know I know, you're probably going to tell me to use the search function, but I'd really like some help on a new board set-up. I've been toying with the idea of a 9two5/Switchblade for a while, and firstly I can't decide between those two. However, I've seen online that Original have released a Freeride board, and was wondering if that is any better than the previous boards. For a cheaper price though, Lush have the new Symbian, which seems nice too, and has rocker like the 9two5 and Original Freeride, so that would save some money. Money isn't really a problem, but I dont really want to buy a complete, as my Cult Classics and Paris 180's seem fine, but I've heard that these can cause problems on the 9two5 with wheelbite. I know this is a lot to ask (and read for that matter), but which of these boards would you suggest for freeride and sliding, and if the 9two5 is the best option, would the 180's work with the classics? Thank you
    The Quiver
    Lush Samba - Sabre 195mm, Cult Gamma Ray, Bones Reds, Sabre Bushings
    Loaded Dervish - Paris 180mm, Cult Classics, Bones Super Reds, Venom Double Barrel Bushings

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help on new freeride board.

The 9two5 is the superior board to the switchblade and originals freeride. It has concave the makes people go nuts over.
    The symbian is also a great board, never personally ridden it but i have heard a few good things.

Your trucks and wheels are perfect, dont worry about wheel bite. You can always top mount it.
    Of your choices, the 9two5 is superior.

My 2cents would be get the supermodel, or a nemesis. Because theyre some of the funnest boards ive ridden.
    Quote Originally Posted by whozarmy View Post
    Start jerking with your other hand. It's like hooking up with a clumsy stranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSayvaho View Post
    if you can DH on a Ripstik, you can DH on Original trucks.
    Rayne Nemesis, Prandals 180 42*, 90a Venoms, 88a Fat Ants, 78a Raceforms.
    I Love Ellie Goulding and Led Zeppelin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZepForever View Post
    The 9two5 is the superior board to the switchblade and originals freeride. It has concave the makes people go nuts over.
    The symbian is also a great board, never personally ridden it but i have heard a few good things.

Your trucks and wheels are perfect, dont worry about wheel bite. You can always top mount it.
    Of your choices, the 9two5 is superior.

My 2cents would be get the supermodel, or a nemesis. Because theyre some of the funnest boards ive ridden.
    Yeah, I've heard that some people have problems with the Original and that they can be quite pricey for what they they are (ala Apex 37 to name the least). I haven't seen and heard all that much about the Symbian myself actually, although living in the UK, it's point of origin. For the past week I've been contemplating these boards, the switchblade seems nice, but doesn't look all that versatile, such as for carving/cruising. Looks like its between the 9two5 and Symbian then. Any more help from others would be greatly appreciated. If worst comes to worst however, I guess I could topmount (as suggested) or buy bears when I get more money. Thank you Zep, I'll look forward to hearing more, and perhaps from others
    The Quiver
    Loaded Dervish - Paris 180mm, Cult Classics, Bones Super Reds, Venom Double Barrel Bushings

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id also look into the DK penguin by longboard larry. Great, versatile board. Out of the three would definatly be the 9two5. Grease Shark and nemesis are also honerable mentions.
    I love bears. The manliest, beastliest, awesomest creature ever, AND DONT YOU TRY AND DENY IT

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOpposum View Post
    Thank God! DJFREAKZ is Morgan Freeman not TylerHill.

Quote Originally Posted by mJoeC View Post
    Would that include each of my daily dikpics to teamsnapchat that I send every morning?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, ive never liked bears. They have restrictive bushing seats (which may not matter to you at this point) and they feel generally unresponsive TO ME.

Originals freeride has flimsy construction, it was a good idea with poor execution. Many people have reported the tail/nose snapping from shuv its alone.

Go to a local shop, if you can of course and try out as many boards as you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by whozarmy View Post
    Start jerking with your other hand. It's like hooking up with a clumsy stranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSayvaho View Post
    if you can DH on a Ripstik, you can DH on Original trucks.
    Rayne Nemesis, Prandals 180 42*, 90a Venoms, 88a Fat Ants, 78a Raceforms.
    I Love Ellie Goulding and Led Zeppelin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJFREAKZ View Post
    Id also look into the DK penguin by longboard larry. Great, versatile board. Out of the three would definatly be the 9two5. Grease Shark and nemesis are also honerable mentions.
    Bit difficult for me, being in the UK and all that. I checked shipping and it's quite expensive, and plus the import tax on that makes it over my price range, so it's a no go on the Grease Shark or DK Penguin. I did look at the nemesis, but I've heard of Rayne's de-lamination problems, and it's quite expensive here in England. The other boards do look nice though I have to admit, damn you lucky Americans!
    The Quiver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you checked Daddies, Muir, Motion, and Stoked?
    I love bears. The manliest, beastliest, awesomest creature ever, AND DONT YOU TRY AND DENY IT

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOpposum View Post
    Thank God! DJFREAKZ is Morgan Freeman not TylerHill.

Quote Originally Posted by mJoeC View Post
    Would that include each of my daily dikpics to teamsnapchat that I send every morning?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run a 9two5 on bear 852's and 70mm wheels. With a loose setup I get pretty close to wheel bite. Paris slightly shorten your wheel base so I think there will be risk of bite, although I have not tried it with Paris trucks myself.

Moderator Shinobo Sukebo BigTreeFallHard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're living in the UK....get the symbian. The rocker+concave is very comfortable, and the kicks enable you to have some freestyle fun if you want.
    Amazing board from an awesome company. Can't go wrong.
    My Fleet:Loaded:Dervish,Dancer,Fattail,Bhangra,Chubby Unicorn/Roggs Dancer/LBL:Komodo&OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis&Demonseed/EW Thruster/Soda B2H 1 and 2 & Crank/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AMwood 1/2 dance

Quote Originally Posted by Brute379 View Post
    The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion119net View Post
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of using Paris 180's on the 9two5, I like my bushings about 87a/85a, which seem like a nice duro for me. I tested them on the Dervish (hate that board with a passion) and the truck was turned about 3/4 which in terms of the 9two5, this seems that I would not get wheel bite with the Cult Classics too. The only thing that is putting me off the Symbian is that Lush are not really well heard of (I know, I shouldn't stereotype) and the fact that it does not have W concave, or gas pedals for that matter. It is also slightly longer, 41.5 I believe compared to 40.5 (I think those are correct) which may be too long for my height of 5"8.
    The Quiver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There really is an appeal of the 9two5 to me, but if the Paris' don't fit, that's about £200, as landyachtz parts in the UK are quite expensive, about £100 more than the Symbian. I'm not sure however if the Symbian build quality is as good, and it doesn't even have sharp rails, which in my (limited) understanding is that these are worse than sharp rails, although they could be between sharp rails and gas pedals. I know, I'm waffling on wayyy too much haha
    The Quiver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is a bit hard to compare wheelbite on a 9two5 with a Dervish. Also, the Symbian is longer due to its kicktails, I think the actual foot platform wouldn't be much different.

Oh and also you could always add gas pedals/W 'cave yourself

Edit: gas pedals are really different to sharp rails, keep that in mind

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure however if the Symbian build quality is as good, and it doesn't even have sharp rails, which in my (limited) understanding is that these are worse than sharp rails,
    Yes, you are putting WAY too much thought into this.
    The board isn't gonna make you a better/worse rider. If you read the quote from Brute in my sig, a deck will be able to inspire confidence and comfort to enable you to push yourself further. All of the decks you chose are more than adequate for the riding you plan on doing.
    Overall, don't worry too much and don't overthink.

The symbian has a killer rocker +concave combo that is superb for freeriding.
    However, not everyone likes rocker and concave like that. Some people prefer a drop platform with pockets or a board with W concave.
    YOU have to decide for YOURSELF which board features fit YOUR needs best.
    My Fleet:Loaded:Dervish,Dancer,Fattail,Bhangra,Chubby Unicorn/Roggs Dancer/LBL:Komodo&OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis&Demonseed/EW Thruster/Soda B2H 1 and 2 & Crank/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AMwood 1/2 dance

The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I think of it this way, they both have rocker, but the Symbian's is greater, locking you in more. That's about it, and I've heard that it's not so good for high speed freeride, such as involving some downhill, due to it not having W concave or gas pedals. Also, the Symbian is longer, making it harder to control at speed. However, the 9two5 is £50 more for the deck alone, and this may also mean having to spend another £50 to get Bear 852 trucks, double the price of the Symbian, which I could use my Paris trucks on. Do you reckon the 9two5 is worth the extra £50 (or £100 if bear's are required) then?
    The Quiver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to know where you are getting this information from....

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardWright View Post
    If I think of it this way, they both have rocker, but the Symbian's is greater, locking you in more.
    Rocker doesn't lock you in per se.
    It is merely another deck feature that can provide added comfort. Read brute's quote in my signature....a deck should be comfortable and inspire confidence.
    Rocker will not make you a better or worse rider, but if you like the feel of rocker then it will make you more comfortable on your deck and thus make the board a better extension of your body when skating.

That's about it, and I've heard that it's not so good for high speed freeride, such as involving some downhill, due to it not having W concave or gas pedals.
    Just because you "hear" something does NOT make it true.
    Most comments on this website are conjecture, biased, and opinions....bear that in mind that everything you read is based upon our personal experiences.
    W concave or gas pedals do NOT make a board better for downhill. Just like rocker, they are deck features that can be comfortable to some riders (while others dislike them)
    As I stated, when a deck is comfortable for a rider it then inspires them to push their own envelope further.

Also, the Symbian is longer, making it harder to control at speed.
    False.
    Different strokes for different folks. Some like shorter wheelbases, some like them a bit longer.
    A longer wheel base is more inherently stable at speed. Yes, it may drift a bit more through corners, but it's not that long of a deck.
    It will handle speed fine. The rider's tuck, trucks, and bushings play a huge part in dh ability.

With that said, get the symbian and support a local brand.
    You'll be able to do the exact same things as on the 9two5

Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^what he says.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bit difficult for me, being in the UK and all that. I checked shipping and it's quite expensive, and plus the import tax on that makes it over my price range, so it's a no go on the Grease Shark or DK Penguin. I did look at the nemesis, but I've heard of Rayne's de-lamination problems, and it's quite expensive here in England. The other boards do look nice though I have to admit, damn you lucky Americans!
    Grease shark decks are cheaper than 9two5 decks in Britain but i would go for a lush board. SUPPORT BRITISH BUSINESSES.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stoofpipe View Post
    Grease shark decks are cheaper than 9two5 decks in Britain but i would go for a lush board. SUPPORT BRITISH BUSINESSES.
    Have you tried the symbian then?
    Also, do you reckon that topmounting/drilling new holes on the 9two5 would help solve the wheelbite problem, as I don't really have money for bear trucks?
    The Quiver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried the symbian then?
    Also, do you reckon that topmounting/drilling new holes on the 9two5 would help solve the wheelbite problem, as I don't really have money for bear trucks?
    By the sound of it, your mind is already made up about the 9two5.
    You've pretty much shrugged off anything we've said about lush and kind of talked down the symbian in your own head.

Just get the 9two5 then dude if it'll make you happy. Not trying to bash you, but it's pretty evident you've made up your mind.
    Topmounting ANY board will decrease the chance of wheelbite because you are increasing the distance between the wheels and deck.
    Last edited by BigTreeFallHard; 02-07-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor BigTreeFallHard. He made so many logical, smart and helpful points to the OP, and OP pretty much just skipped it all because of what "he has heard".

OP: BigTreeFallHard definitely knows his stuff. He is probably one of the most knowledgeable guys on Silverfish. You definitely should trust him more than rumors you've heard from "somewhere".
    Switch your indy kingpin for a longer one to fit all bushings. Change your stock bushings. You don't need precision trucks. There is no best wheel for sliding. You need to go faster. Don't buy Gullwing Sidewinders. Don't ever pay more than $10 for bearings. Practice more. Support local builders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS