ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Churchill MFG Penny Killer Review

About me: I am 5'6, 135 pounds with size 10 feet. This little beauty was my first "longboard", and I know 23 inches isn't long but this was my first cruising oriented skateboard with soft wheels. I had ridden trick decks but this was my first venture into longboarding.

The churchill penny killer is 23 inches long by 6 inches wide and features a fair amount of concave and a good kicktail. It was $65 from churchillmfg.com when I purchased it and now you have the option to upgrade to a bamboo deck if it strikes your fancy. I will post pictures from the app after I finish this

My setup: Churchill Penny Killer deck, Silver polished GFH boards trucks with 1/4 inch risers, churchill red eye wheels (61mm 78a), bones reds bearings, and stock churchill hardware.

Deck: The deck is comprised of 6 plies of hard rock maple. It is relatively stiff but will flex a little depending on your weight. It comes gripped from churchill and the grip is fine and grippy for stock tape. My feet fit fine on this small deck and it really gives you the sense that you have total control over the board. I really enjoy the feel and shape of this deck and the quality is unmatched.

Trucks: The trucks that come with the complete from churchill are manufactured by GFH boards. They are 3 inches wide and of a TKP style. They are pretty tight when you first get them and a simple loosening of the nut on the kingpin can make them much more maneuverable. A bushing upgrade would make them feel very carvy. They are polished and very shiny. Not the best in the world, but they do what they're supposed to do very well.

Wheels: The wheels are churchill red eyes, measuring 61mm and 78a in durometer with a stone ground surface. They are center set and have a very grippy feel when carving. Overall, I totally love these wheels. They were born for this size deck and I've never had a single incident with wheel bite.

Bearings: When I recieved this board, it was equipped with churchill niners abec 9 USA made bearings. These are definitely legitimate bearings. If you are the kind of skater who destroys their bearings, these are for you. They're pretty fast, but I upgraded them to bones reds. I wanted more speed, but the niners are definitely more durable than my reds. If you don't care much about your bearings and just want them to roll and roll well for a long time, the churchill niners are the bearings for you.

Overall impressions: I really love this board. If you're looking for a small cruiser that you can fit in your backpack but don't want to give in to the generic fad that is the overpriced penny skateboard, this is definately the board for you. It's perfectly shaped and I would take it anywhere. Do if you're on the fence with what mini cruiser to get like I was a few months ago, don't be! Go on churchillmfg.com and order yourself a penny killer! I promise it will be the best mini cruiser you could buy especially being a complete setup for under $100. I recommend it to anyone that doesn't mind a small deck and loves the appeal of the classic banana board shape. Grab one and go shred!

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Churchill MFG Penny Killer Review

Here are some photos of my penny killer Name:  ImageUploadedBySilverfish Longboarding1365105757.070054.jpg
Views: 2322
Size:  20.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedBySilverfish Longboarding1365105789.150419.jpg
Views: 2057
Size:  22.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedBySilverfish Longboarding1365105846.036897.jpg
Views: 2114
Size:  25.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedBySilverfish Longboarding1365105891.549700.jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  25.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedBySilverfish Longboarding1365105929.999118.jpg
Views: 2067
Size:  28.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedBySilverfish Longboarding1365105971.781902.jpg
Views: 2129
Size:  28.9 KB

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS