Modblood I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up EW SUPERGLIDER thorough review

Hello I've decided to write a straight up review on the superglider cause it's quite a popular board and a lot of people want info on it. I took a 10-15 mile ride today through Concord, CA and did parking garage runs so here are my impressions.

Let's start with the bushings. The day I got it, I instantly took it out for a ride around my neighborhood with everything stock from MHM. The stock indy bushings that they give you felt kinda "mushy" and "dead" so I switched out the bottom bushings in the back and front for Khiro barrels(Blue and orange for my 125lbs). Of course, bushings are all preference, but I find that khiro barrels are perfect for that rebound and liveliness that I was looking for.

Now about the trucks. MHM got the idea from Wells to use indy 149 instead of 169s if youre using wide offset wheels such as zigs or superballs. I fully 100% back up this idea. I cannot imagine how wide it would be with wider trucks. It seems like it would be annoying and it'll get in the way of you pushing. INDYS ARE AWESOME FOR CARVING. Perfectly responsive for city riding and deep turning, more than I can ask for.

For the deck itself, it's perfect(well not 100% but I'll get to that). The slight flex is perfect for a comfortable , smooth, ride without making the board sketchy. The size is perfect. Not too long and not too short. People complain that its too narrow but I don't have any problem with my size 10-10.5 feet. With the concave and the width of the board, you have amazing control over the board, which is a necessity for city riding. The upturned nose is a good addition to give you more response. The tail can be useful but I didn't have any curbs to go off of so I can't really say anything about it. Its good for picking up your board though.

NOW THE REASON IT ISNT 100% perfect: No nose. Less than vanguard. I have to have atleast half my foot over the front to attempt a nose manual. I got kinda used to it so its all good, but if youre wanting this board for dancing, maybe look for something with more nose. That, or you can drill holes to move the front trucks back for more nose(I might do that in the future).

The wheels. Lime 66mm zigzags. If youve ever ridden zigzags, you dont need to read this. Smooth and grippy. I used to have lime 70mm and the difference is barely noticable(70mm are smoother for obvious reasons). Over bumpy roads, you can feel vibrations, but not enough to throw you off or even slow you down. I'm really glad with my wheel choice. When in doubt, go with the famous green wheels.

Overall, it seriously is the ultimate commuting board. Even with its 1/4 inch risers, it sits really damn comfortably low. Perfect amount of flex and the wheelbase with indys are good for making those sharp turns throughout the city.

I don't have any new pictures, but I have pics of it brand new. I'll get more recent ones up later.

Any questions, don't hesitate.

Edit: lol I just reread it and I used the word "perfect" in almost all the sections. I assure you it's my honest review =]

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: EW SUPERGLIDER thorough review

Haha, I was in concord today... Big city, I guess it's not surprising I didn't see you. Wish I had though since I really want to see a superglider in the flesh .

Great review by the way, pretty much solidified my decision to get one for commuting purposes. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So for what purpose is it made for..? Is it mainly a commuter or is it a well-rounded board?

Great review
    Last edited by Eminentus; 09-24-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great review! do you think this would be a good choice for someone that likes to carve up hills and throw in some slides/speedchecks?

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a commuter and a well rounded board. I could bomb the parking garage with stability but its really up to the rider. I havent tried sliding it yet cause I havent broken in the zigs and im afraid I would be bucked of if I tried to slide brand new zigs. Those things are grippy.

If youre looking to do some speedchecks, I would suggest you get different wheels. The rest of the board is fine though. Zigs have a square lip so its MUCH harder to break loose.

I think it was actually designed to commute through New York. Doesnt mean it cant be an awesome all-arounder though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i totally agree with Shimotakimas, the superglider, although designed to be a commuter board is highly capable of doing other disciplines. This board definitely has a number of strengths and as such is a very healthy addition to the quiver. The length of the deck is perfect, not too long or short, yet it still handles like a much smaller deck, highly manueverable. On hills, this thing is an insane carver, the flex is just about right to snap in and out of carves, this deck will make you appreciate carving even more IMO.

When i just wanna go out of the house and skate to wherever this is definitely the board i bring, not only because it can handle most of the terrain in my immediate area but because it is low to the ground. I am not kidding when i say this deck is low to the ground, i think this deck is just as dropped as other dropped decks. Pushing on this deck is WAY too easy. No wonder it has won the broadway bomb twice. With a lower platform, footbreaking is easy too.

I currently have mine with the MHM hybrid trucks and powerballs, i thought i would need risers but so far no wheelbite, I AM LOVING IT!

If you want more drift in a wheel, then powerballs are a safe choice, predictable drift and they hold speed in hills, just know the limits of what they can roll over and what they cannot

PICS:

Chut and Chaput
    Lezdodis all day erryday!
    Philippine Strong!

comet voodoo xl - 42* - S9 RF
    widerglider - MHS hybrid trucks - powerballs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have the same setup except with black paris 150's. I love that board. its the perfect lengh and with also it rides like a much smaller board but still feels like a 38" board under your feet. ( IMHO )

Embrace Danger. Shinobo Sukebo Mile_High_Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You failed to mention my immaculate grip job.

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mile_High_Mark View Post
    You failed to mention my immaculate grip job.
    There's a small bubble near the tail

but other than that, Mr.Mark Chandler's gripjob was perfect. Buy from him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have mine set up with Paris 150s. So far I LOVE the board. I have mine set up with double barrels as well (blue bottom/orange top). Although, I was thinking about changing my trucks to some Indy 149s. Right now I'm low on cash; I'm a college student. But I was wondering if making the switch to Indys would be significantly better? I use it around campus so i would appreciate easier pushing/footbreaking due to lower ride height as I'm only 5'4". I was also wondering if my double barrels would work in the Indys.

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They wont work unless you get a longer kingpin. You wont be able to get the kingpin nut on if you use double barrels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SaveGas View Post
    I also have mine set up with Paris 150s. So far I LOVE the board. I have mine set up with double barrels as well (blue bottom/orange top). Although, I was thinking about changing my trucks to some Indy 149s. Right now I'm low on cash; I'm a college student. But I was wondering if making the switch to Indys would be significantly better? I use it around campus so i would appreciate easier pushing/footbreaking due to lower ride height as I'm only 5'4". I was also wondering if my double barrels would work in the Indys.

I was going to post a post () exactly like this one. lol I am also 5,4.

Embrace Danger. Shinobo Sukebo Mile_High_Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shimotakimas View Post
    There's a small bubble near the tail

but other than that, Mr.Mark Chandler's gripjob was perfect. Buy from him.
    That's not a bubble, that's a booger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've got a 'glider, and must say that this review does an excellent job of hitting the high points. really a great all-round board. seems to be the choice for a lot of shorter riders--i'm 5'5" as well. the board is really something else...in my experience it rides differently all the time. if i bomb, it rides bigger; if i'm carving up a hill it's super nimble; if i'm skirting around pedestrians, it feels very small underfoot. it's a transformer!

on the issue of regular-style or reverse kp trucks, i can't imagine putting some reverse kp's on mine. i feel like it would just cut down the essence of the board's feel so much as to make it almost unenjoyable. if you're worried about the "looseness" of indy's, don't fret too much--you'll get used to it real quick. and for the lightweight class, a combo of khiro barrels in the range of white-orange-blue-red (might have those out of hardness order) seems to work really well for me

that blue on the bottom of the new deck is wicked btw. i want. boring old cream-on-black doesn't cut it for me anymore...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been really interested in getting one as a fun/all around/commuter board, and have even put up a WTB add in the buy/sell section, but haven't had any responses.

Anyways, I'm 6' tall, and I was wondering if you would think its too small for me. I have a pretty wide stance too, but I ride a 30" Santa Cruz pool board sometimes as a commuter.

Also, I saw that MHS is using indy 149's instead of 169's, and since Mark tends to know whats up more than all the other sellers, I was wondering about this. I was planning on using a center set wheel like no skools or 70mm s9 race formulas, and I was wondering if 149's or 169's would be best for that set up.

Last, I was wondering about the concave. I prefer a lot of concave, and am thinking about replacing my dervish as an all around board with this partly because of the dervish's lack of concave.(I also want something a little shorter and with a kicktail). I ride a demonseed a lot, and consider that concave to be about what I like, and was wondering how the superglider compares to the dervish and Dseed's concave. I'm sure better griptape (than the dervish's) will help with this too, but I like that feeling of concave.

Anyways, to all of you who have a superglider out there, any answers/opinions would be awesome. Also, if you have a used one for sale (deck only or the setup listed above), feel free to check out my add/PM me with an offer. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you guys think about using wedged risers on a Superglider? I'm running Indy 169's and 70 mm Superballs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the reason the deck shape is not perfect is because its not wide enough for me (i'd prefer at least 3/4inch more, especially in the front) but other than that I love it.
    -Matthew Kaminski

Earthwing Skateboards
    Mudslide Slide Pucks

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I'll try to answer all the questions. I dont think any wedge risers are necessary at all if youre using indys. Theyre very well responsive enough and the board has a builtin wedge.

About the part with centerset wheels, I would use indy 169's. You would be fine with 149s as well so if youre planning to swtch to offset at anytime you should get 149s.

The concavity of the board is comfortable. Not as much as a speedboard but definately more than Loaded boards.

Oh I'm 6 feet too. 125 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shimotakimas View Post
    Ok I'll try to answer all the questions. I dont think any wedge risers are necessary at all if youre using indys. Theyre very well responsive enough and the board has a builtin wedge.
    All right, thanks...I think I really just need to loosen my trucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Briefly, the difference between Indys and Randals is that Indys dive into turns more quickly and Randals lean farther into turns. You can twitch your ankles and turn a board with Indys. You have to really lean on Randals to make them turn (side note: this is what makes Randals grippier and more stable than Indys for downhill).

On truck choice, consider the measurements: the Superglider is 8.5" wide. Independent 169s are 9" and 149s are 8.5". Offset wheels add a bit of track width.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soflafreerider View Post
    skate more, suck less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodys Halfpipe View Post
    all it takes is speed and balls. go fast and get low, the rest will take care of itself.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS