ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why am I slower than my friends?

We ride the same hills, I have a great setup, and people tell me I have a mean tuck... but yet a few of my friends get more speed than me. Is it because I'm so light? I weigh 125, the guys I'm talking about are about 170-225.

They were running 70mm wheels and I had 75mm, new bearings, and I was wearing clothes that are decently tight and don't drag too much - no different from what they were wearing. Even our follow driver said I have a good tuck, so then why do they get so much faster? There is about a steady 5mph difference...unless I get in their draft. But I can't win in the back, and always being last is getting boring

Just for clarification here is my setup:
    Bs agent orange
    44 cals
    Abec Big Zigs

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Why am I slower than my friends?

Weight makes a big difference. Also, try keeping very still in your tuck. Don't even twitch, don't blink, don't look back, don't look to the side, don't adjust your knee,
    Just don't f*cking move, and get that tuck sucked in tight. And you'll find yourself gaining on them. Being smaller and skinnier means you can get more aero than they can, use it to your advantage.

Edit: bearings generally don't affect how fast you are unless your comparing some jank old rusted ones to brand new ceramics, and even then it barely matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict View Post
    Weight makes a big difference. Also, try keeping very still in your tuck. Don't even twitch, don't blink, don't look back, don't look to the side, don't adjust your knee,
    Just don't f*cking move, and get that tuck sucked in tight. And you'll find yourself gaining on them. Being smaller and skinnier means you can get more aero than they can, use it to your advantage.
    That might be my problem, I do tend to move around especially before a turn, and I look back sometimes. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried staying more still in my tuck today and it definitely made a noticeable difference

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good, now just make small adjustments on your tuck, like trying to get your arms in tighter or your back just a little bit lower and you'll be cooking soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's because you don't listen to enough drum n bass.

Is Best Username I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el gigantor View Post
    It's because you don't listen to enough drum n bass.
    DnB sure makes me go faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dieselboy + Photek + Skateboards = 100mph

It's mathematics.

Moderator Shinobo Sukebo BigTreeFallHard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 50lbs can make all the difference in the world.
    Although you may have a smaller frontal profile in a tuck if you're a physically smaller rider, it means you're still easier to slow down via wind resistance since there's less total momentum in the total system of you + your board. If you're running a dh course where not a lot of sliding is used, you basically give your heavier friends the opportunity to gain more speed if it's nothing but straightaways and sweepers, whereas a lighter rider can potentially be more maneuverable and quicker to accelerate if there are numerous drifts and turns where your heavier friends will take slightly longer to get up to speed.
    My Fleet:Loaded:Dervish,Dancer,Fattail,Bhangra,Chubby Unicorn/Roggs Dancer/LBL:Komodo&OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis&Demonseed/EW Thruster/Soda B2H 1 and 2 & Crank/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AMwood 1/2 dance

Quote Originally Posted by Brute379 View Post
    The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion119net View Post
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh damn is THAT why all the dudes in the videos go faster? Why didn't I try that sooner?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigTreeFallHard View Post
    The 50lbs can make all the difference in the world.
    Although you may have a smaller frontal profile in a tuck if you're a physically smaller rider, it means you're still easier to slow down via wind resistance since there's less total momentum in the total system of you + your board. If you're running a dh course where not a lot of sliding is used, you basically give your heavier friends the opportunity to gain more speed if it's nothing but straightaways and sweepers, whereas a lighter rider can potentially be more maneuverable and quicker to accelerate if there are numerous drifts and turns where your heavier friends will take slightly longer to get up to speed.
    So what you're saying is I need to get fatter and/or wear a weight vest while I skate

Moderator Shinobo Sukebo BigTreeFallHard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie2344 View Post
    So what you're saying is I need to get fatter and/or wear a weight vest while I skate
    Or you can just zip tie a weight plate to your deck

In all seriousness, the weight may not be the only issue, but it certainly is a big component if you're only bombing straight hills.
    My Fleet:Loaded:Dervish,Dancer,Fattail,Bhangra,Chubby Unicorn/Roggs Dancer/LBL:Komodo&OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis&Demonseed/EW Thruster/Soda B2H 1 and 2 & Crank/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AMwood 1/2 dance

Quote Originally Posted by Brute379 View Post
    The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion119net View Post
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or...
    Just live with them being faster than you.
    "I told everyone I was travelling to X____X for a race. The truth is that the race was only an excuse to justify the trip. I went up there to skate, and to skate new terrain in the hope of progressing. Some people might call it training, but skateboarding has never been about winning." - Louis Pilloni.

Rayne Avenger/Calibers 44º/Cannibals - LY Switchblade '13/Paris 180/Mini Zombies - LY Ripple Ridge '13/Polar Bears/Venom Thugs

Addicted Cruiser metaldestroyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or staple a plate to your weight face.

I'm very tired
    Bombsquad/Landyachtz/Venom/Ronin/Metro

Black Velvet Slide Pucks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
    or...
    UNACCEPTABLE.
    Never settle for being slower.
    That's how you get faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
    or...
    Uhhhh. No...??? I want to advance and win races in the future... are you telling me I'm supposed to just accept losing to anyone that's heavier than me? Which is 85% of guys out there.... not happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict View Post
    UNACCEPTABLE.
    Never settle for being slower.
    That's how you get faster.
    Exactly! Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telling people you have a mean tuck and having someone who is driving a car (who probably isn't a skater) tell you it's tight might not be the same as actually having a mean tuck. Wheels matter a lot. Even though your wheels are bigger, they might deform more due to the duro and cause a slight amount of extra friction. I know guys that are wicked fast and they select their wheels based on the asphalt and course. Smaller wheels are gonna be faster on course with more turns because they accelerate out of the turn faster.

If your friends are behind you, they can draft you and make a pass. If you have gaps in your tuck, which is pretty common for the American tuck, you'll develop unwanted drag. Moving in your tuck will also slow you down. Weight is an issue, but a wicked starting push and tighter tucks will get people faster than weight. If you are having issues drafting your friends, you probably don't have a clean tuck and can't maintain speed properly.

Winning isn't everything. I skate for fun, not to win against my friends. I don't even compete when I show up to events.

I second that Bearings don't matter.

One last thing, make sure your hip isn't sticking out to one side. My tuck has that a lot, but I prefer freeriding over bombing so I don't really care how fast I am. Everyone is different. I suggest practicing your tuck. If you could post video, that'd help us help you.
    Cann0n
    _________
    the duval crew
    the ian tilmann foundation | northeast florida skateboarding alliance
    ground force olympians | phantom garage assassins | keystone heights danger riders
    duval wheels | roggs | bombsquad
    riptide bushings | caliber trucks | rey trucks
    sporting-sail | light-riser | south butt slide pucks
    pistol pete productions | lyfe headwear | g7

silverfish wiki

Quote Originally Posted by skatethesprings View Post
    helmets are great, but they don't "save your life"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cann0n View Post
    Telling people you have a mean tuck and having someone who is driving a car (who probably isn't a skater) tell you it's tight might not be the same as actually having a mean tuck. Wheels matter a lot. Even though your wheels are bigger, they might deform more due to the duro and cause a slight amount of extra friction. I know guys that are wicked fast and they select their wheels based on the asphalt and course. Smaller wheels are gonna be faster on course with more turns because they accelerate out of the turn faster.

If your friends are behind you, they can draft you and make a pass. If you have gaps in your tuck, which is pretty common for the American tuck, you'll develop unwanted drag. Moving in your tuck will also slow you down. Weight is an issue, but a wicked starting push and tighter tucks will get people faster than weight. If you are having issues drafting your friends, you probably don't have a clean tuck and can't maintain speed properly.

Winning isn't everything. I skate for fun, not to win against my friends. I don't even compete when I show up to events.

I second that Bearings don't matter.

One last thing, make sure your hip isn't sticking out to one side. My tuck has that a lot, but I prefer freeriding over bombing so I don't really care how fast I am. Everyone is different. I suggest practicing your tuck. If you could post video, that'd help us help you.
    LOL I said people tell ME I have a mean tuck... and the dude driving is only one of the best skaters I know... and everything else you just said has already been said and acknowledged. Oh and since when does having tighter trucks add speed? The fastest guys I know ride super loose trucks.

Concrete Kahuna TestMonkeyUnlimited's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to say it's not gravity-physics, as heavier sh*t doesn't fall faster. More like an-object-in-motion-tends-to-stay-in-motion stuff; Big guys retain momentum longer. Large wheels are a benefit, and yeah duro is an issue. Try some Seismic Speed Vents! The bigger core can help with much of that. Lastly, new bearings have to break in a little bit. Zealous aren't fast out of the box, but get noticeably faster after about a week. If that advice don't work, yeah, more drum & bass.

wub wub wub wub

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS