ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Subluxated my fibular head

... I was drifting a toeside corner and I subluxated (Incomplete or partial dislocation of a bone in a joint) my fibular head (outer bone that connects with knee). I ride normal, so it was my right knee (back leg) that it happened to.

Anyone know how this could have happened? Similar experiences?

Nothing better then having to pop your bone back into the joint while speeding down a hill at 30mph facing a straight away and a dead end... man that coleman was painful
    Powered by BOARDSPORTS, Eugene, OR
    www.myboardsports.com

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Subluxated my fibular head

dude....hardcore.

heal up soon mate.
    Wanna know the real story?
    Everyone will screw you until you don't have anything else to give.
    Then they'll take that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

major BAMF points.
    thats like, Rambo or Terminator stuff right there.

since you popped it back in, are you ok now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey i learned about sublaxation in one of my medical classes the other day. good thing the fibula is a non weight bearing bone. Hope you get better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So let me get this straight. 30 mph downhill, you dislocated a leg bone, then, instead of falling off the board, you pop it back in and bust out a coleman? Or did it pop back in WHILE you were doing the coleman? Props, brah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've subluxated my knee cap about 4 times, but i guess patellar subluxation is a little different than fibular subluxation. still, i'd imagine the treatment to be similar, and all my doctor said to do was pretty much strengthen my thigh, especially my quad because those large muscles up there are what support your knee. i feel ya though, it sucks popping that thing back in, but i can only imagine how much more it would suck while going 30mph but seriously, just strengthen up your thighs and you'll be fine. actually, for me, a lot of what got my thighs stronger was skating three hours everyday, so just keep doin what you're doin and maybe start adding some wall sits or squats at night or something. vert skating especially did a tremendous amount for my leg strenght btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this happened to me 2 years ago playing football. (only happened twice, including this time. Both times i wasnt' hit or anything. Just happened randomly (from what i know)) so i was kinda familiar with what i had to do to pop it back in. What happens when it pops out, is it feels like you can't straighten out your knee (so you have to keep it bent 90 degrees at least). So after leaving the drift (it popped out towards the end), i was kind of in a crouch, so i realized i had to stand up really quick and pop it back in, because i had a corner coming up in like 50-60 yards.

So i popped it back in like within 10 seconds of it popping out. Took a couple deep breaths and stoop up as quickly as possible. Wasn't too painful to pop it back in, kind of just scary as #### knowing that i had to or i was gonna get real messed up haha. So i gripped the corner the best i could and pulled a shitty coleman right after the turn. I was able to walk a little after it happened, but when i tried to bend it past 30-40 degrees, it would feel like it was gonna pop out again. It was like that for the next day or so.

Went home and iced and didn't do much (saturday night). Ive been trying to stay off it (besides walking to classes and stuff) and icing a lot. Gonna see how it feels in a week and if it still hurts, i'll go to the doctor. Last time this happened though they put me in a boot for 3 weeks So that's kinda why i'm hesitant to go (also, i think surgery is the other option, and i don't want knee surgery at 18).

I hope it gets better soon because i've been getting really into DH lately, and it will be constant rain in like a week or 2 for 6-8 months. Nothing wrong with rain riding, i just prefer dry ground.

I've got a brace i'll try and wear the next time i go out.

EDIT: I just read an article on google about how a fibular subluxations. it said the occur during "violent twisting of the flexed knee". I'm thinking that maybe i had my knee still behind my front knee(like while in a stand up tuck) and then the force pushing outward caused it to pop out? Like you're standing in a tuck, and someone punches you from the outside on your back knee, resulting in your knee going inward. Maybe i need to drift with my knee more on the inside, instead of under my body? What do you guys think?
    Last edited by gregoryniss; 11-18-2008 at 05:11 PM.