ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Need Help Figuring Out Sliding. No Gloves

I have been wanting to learn how to do some basic slides for some time now. I don't want to buy or make gloves because that sounds complicated for not only making gloves, but using them as well. Back to the main topic, how do you do some simple slides, stops or just tricks, without having to touch down on the pavement or use slide gloves. Thank you!!!!
    *LBL Komodo*
    *Orangatang InHeats (83a)*
    *Randall 180s*

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need Help Figuring Out Sliding. No Gloves

Simple slides are glove slides and they sure as **** aren't complicated.

Look up instructional videos for standup slides if that's what you want to do. Most people start sliding by learning glove slides.
    I ride my own

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get slide gloves. Put hands down and turn hard.
    Push Don't Pollute
    GoGreenLongboarding
    Team Lean: All the girls know where the real G's at.

Landyachtz Evo|Randal DH's|MoneyHax|
    Sector 9 Mo'Sake|Gullwing Chargers|Nine Balls|
    Carbon Belly Racer|Caliber 50's|Otang Stims|

OFWGKTA
    MID WE$T

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're going to want gloves if you're going to be learning standup slides.

I don't really feel comfortable doing any sort of sliding if I am not wearing my helmet, gloves, and knee pads.

They're really easy to make and they will save you a lot of skin, and along with a helmet, they boost your confidence way up when going for anything.

I got some all leather gloves at Home Depot for $9.99, industrial strength velcro for $3.99, and Ojoom pucks for $15.00. I just stapled the fuzzy part of the velcro onto the glove, and I put the hard side on the pucks and really that's all there is to it.

You're Home depot, lowe's, or whatever might even have free corian samples at the counter top section if you don't want to buy real pucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learn speed checks. The first slide I learned before I got gloves, I prefer stand up slides anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe in safety first. I'm still trying to get my slides down, but i always wear my safety equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that sounds soo sketch if you go down a hill and try to pop a standy and get bucked off you cant touch the ground and soon as you put your hands out to stop you they scrape and bruise and roll up under you cause you cant hold them out then you flip around for abit till you finally slide out on a part of your body...point and case get the ******* gloves
    I live on top of your Grandma's Modest Rump :)

Quote Originally Posted by blueapollo View Post
    are you riding that down this hill? nah im just taking it out for a walk bitch what the **** do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverYachtz View Post
    I don't always ride W Concave, but when I do, I prefer the Landyachtz 925.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lingai View Post
    that sounds soo sketch if you go down a hill and try to pop a standy and get bucked off you cant touch the ground and soon as you put your hands out to stop you they scrape and bruise and roll up under you cause you cant hold them out then you flip around for abit till you finally slide out on a part of your body...point and case get the ******* gloves
    Well yes But I never mentioned anything about bombing 90 degree hills and sliding stand-up. Just for some steep-ISH hills. Besides, this is the tricks and tips
    Forum, not downhill forum anyways.
    Last edited by Paradise Inc; 06-16-2011 at 02:09 PM.
    *LBL Komodo*
    *Randall 180s*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradise Inc View Post
    Well yes Bhutan I never mentioned anything about bombing 90 degree hills and sliding stand-up. Just for some steep-ISH hills. Besides, this is the tricks and tips
    thats true but you can still get hurt pretty bad going 10mph and putting your hands on the ground is a big deal when youre aimlessing flung off a board thats all im saying
    I live on top of your Grandma's Modest Rump :)

Quote Originally Posted by blueapollo View Post
    are you riding that down this hill? nah im just taking it out for a walk bitch what the **** do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverYachtz View Post
    I don't always ride W Concave, but when I do, I prefer the Landyachtz 925.

Addicted Cruiser ElevatedAgenda's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would consider slide gloves to be more important for safety than a helmet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obtain a helmet before anything. If you decide to get into sliding, make yourself some gloves. You can make them with a cutting board and some gardening gloves for about 15$. They will save you a lot of pain, and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradise Inc View Post
    Well yes But I never mentioned anything about bombing 90 degree hills and sliding stand-up. Just for some steep-ISH hills. Besides, this is the tricks and tips
    Do you wear a helmet? I am guessing not. If I am right, please feel free to continue your sliding adventures without gloves. Please post pictures of your palms frequently. If you do indeed wear a helmet, then you are aware of the advantages of safety gear... buy or make a pair of slide gloves. They are lovely. They boos confidence. They save flesh and protect the user from unnecesa4ry pain and scars.

If you are stupid enough to not want gloves, yeah!!! Just post some pictures when your fingers heal enough to take them. Either way, your hands will indeed touch pavement at some time in the learning process. Me personally, I want to see some gruesome mother trucking hamburger looking photos of what used to be your fingers... just to influence the somewhat intelligent folks on this forum to BUY OR MAKE SOME G-DAMMED SLIDE GLOVES.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatedAgenda View Post
    I would consider slide gloves to be more important for safety than a helmet.
    yeah... I'd rather smack my hand on the ground and get some road rash and maybe even a sprained palm then take one to the head and end up in the hospital with lifelong head damage. My dad is deaf in his left ear because of a longboarding crash without a helmet, and trust me, i think he would have taken a sprained wrist or scraped palm then a disability that he has had to deal with his entire life..

and about the question, get/make some gloves and BUY A HELMET. You'll thank yourself one day. The thing with gloves is that they boost your confidence, even if you arent using them in the specific slide you are performing.
    "Gravity is a harsh mistress"

BlissLongboards.com
    Wear a helmet please!

Addicted Cruiser ElevatedAgenda's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kicktail88 View Post
    yeah... I'd rather smack my hand on the ground and get some road rash and maybe even a sprained palm then take one to the head and end up in the hospital with lifelong head damage. My dad is deaf in his left ear because of a longboarding crash without a helmet, and trust me, i think he would have taken a sprained wrist or scraped palm then a disability that he has had to deal with his entire life..

and about the question, get/make some gloves and BUY A HELMET. You'll thank yourself one day. The thing with gloves is that they boost your confidence, even if you arent using them in the specific slide you are performing.

You're going 25mph and an unavoidable car pulls out in front of you: you don't know how to slide, you're screwed. I'd rather not hit the car in the first place. Smacking the car, jumping someone's sidewalk into their mailbox, etc. all still suck with a helmet on.

I never instructed him not to wear a helmet, I just attempted to instill the idea that slide gloves (and knowing how to use them) is at least as important. You can get down some roads without a helmet (DISCLAIMER: not saying you should), but not without gloves. Gloves also deflect the friction generated by impacting the surface far better than fleshy hands. This allows you to land on your hands and slide, holding your head away from the pavement. Without gloves, your hands are pulled under by the fast-moving asphalt, and your head, hips, or shoulders are slamming down next.

With an adept driver, a Z06 is a safer vehicle than a Suburban. It stops way faster, and can easily avoid accidents which would surely imperil the SUV. Riding within your limits is more important than any piece of safety gear. Not wearing a helmet is a bad decision, but so is jumping down people's throats on the internet.

I'll excuse your anecdotal sarcastic lecture, as I'm sure you misunderstood what I had implied. I'm sorry for your father's loss, but I'm thankful that he was able to escape without more serious injury. I'm sure the experience had a profound effect on your family.
    Last edited by ElevatedAgenda; 06-18-2011 at 10:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

make gloves man. i made mine from free corian and 3 dollar work gloves at lows. if ur gonna do anykind of slide u will need gloves sooner or later. gloves are a big part of safety cuz u almost always end up falling ur hands out when u fall. it only takes like 10 min to make
    JATI - RONIN

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I think I'm getting gloves now. It's tricky business and I'm just getting them for safety anyways.
    *LBL Komodo*
    *Randall 180s*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats a good man lol i recomend pads to cuz yesterday i was kinda learning to slide and got few scrapes
    JATI - RONIN

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried learning standups first, for exactly that reason... Eventually gave up, bought some slide gloves, and now I'm back to doing standup slides. I still wear gloves all the time though; too many bad experiences losing the skin on my palms.
    www.surf-rodz.com
    TBΣ - ΓK - βψ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatedAgenda View Post
    You're going 25mph and an unavoidable car pulls out in front of you: you don't know how to slide, you're screwed. I'd rather not hit the car in the first place. Smacking the car, jumping someone's sidewalk into their mailbox, etc. all still suck with a helmet on.

I never instructed him not to wear a helmet, I just attempted to instill the idea that slide gloves (and knowing how to use them) is at least as important. You can get down some roads without a helmet (DISCLAIMER: not saying you should), but not without gloves. Gloves also deflect the friction generated by impacting the surface far better than fleshy hands. This allows you to land on your hands and slide, holding your head away from the pavement. Without gloves, your hands are pulled under by the fast-moving asphalt, and your head, hips, or shoulders are slamming down next.

With an adept driver, a Z06 is a safer vehicle than a Suburban. It stops way faster, and can easily avoid accidents which would surely imperil the SUV. Riding within your limits is more important than any piece of safety gear. Not wearing a helmet is a bad decision, but so is jumping down people's throats on the internet.

I'll excuse your anecdotal sarcastic lecture, as I'm sure you misunderstood what I had implied. I'm sorry for your father's loss, but I'm thankful that he was able to escape without more serious injury. I'm sure the experience had a profound effect on your family.
    Alrite my bad, I just misunderstood what you were saying but I see your point now. When I first read it it just seemed like you were dismissing the importance of a helmet but now I get what you were trying to say. Hope no bad feelings now?
    "Gravity is a harsh mistress"

BlissLongboards.com
    Wear a helmet please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And they all lived happilly ever after
    Wal Marts skateboards and longboards arent that bad - said no one ever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast