Correspondent I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking WeFunk Big Bone

so Wefunk had a party a while back...all the boards were there....as parties normally go a few people had a few too many drinks or other wise and a few things happened that maybe wouldn't have normally. You see TopBone and Speedbone got drunk and created....BIGBONE.

more soon......
    Last edited by mark grimace; 11-25-2006 at 08:08 AM.
    "You don't stop playing when you get old.....you get old when you stop playing"

-Bernard Shaw-

"I spent all my money on booze broads and boards...the rest I just wasted"

-Mark Grimace-

Quote Originally Posted by Crappysurfer2
    why would you name someone after a speedboard?

2. ADVERTISEMENT

DROP D I Support The Fish
    Addicted Cruiser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WeFunk Big Bone

what are the measurements on that beast??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And more important. Since this is the undrilled one. Will you go and create the ultimate setup and slap on some maguns?
    Quote Originally Posted by a_d_smooth View Post
    "This thread sucks!!!!" -a_d_smooth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a cool deck...
    We all here are hungry for more details about that beauty!!!
    PROUD WEFUNK AND PAVEL RIDER

It's what we all REALLY come to races for... Talking about it afterwards!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lucky you! I just got a Big Bone as well.

peace,
    sam
    "Certainly, this is not a sport for the sane, but a sport for the young and the reckless."

Team Silverfish Order of the 'Fish EBasil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simply Oooooooosome!
    Relax, Don't Worry, Ride Your Longboard.

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The board is drilled now. You'll never catch me on a set of Maguns btw. The board is basically a top mount SpeedBone with Birch instead of Ash. Its 42" long and wieghts a hair under 4 pounds. Its heavier than the SpeedBone and TopBones as Alex used more resin and more Carbon to tune it to my size.

Alex brought up that Its reminisant of the old Turner SpeedNeedle but with a much wider back end and I agree.

Set up plans are either Bear Smokeys or Radikal Talons and Lemon/Lime GumBigZigBalls

The worst part is that it is a Christmas gift from my family and they are insisting I cant ride it until then.

Now it gets shipped and I cross my fingers it makes it here for Christmas.

-Bernard Shaw-

-Mark Grimace-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like a topbone to me, explain... B:

Edit: Slightly less confused now.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris420
    WE ARE THE ONLY COMPANY OUT THERE THAT CAN SELL A BOARD THAT SKATES THE SAME AS A NON LIGHTED BOARD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to be cuirios. Why no maguns? Esp since the deck was undrilled as it was.

And I know about the x-mass family gifts. I for one have some zigs staring at me from behind some wrapping paper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa, that is one badass mofo... Alex is a true master, and that is incredible work. And I couldn't agree more with your set-up choices -- Tallons or Smokey Bears would be just perfect. Very nice, bro. Now you just have to bribe Santa to let you "test" it early
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Basch
    Just to be cuirios. Why no maguns? Esp since the deck was undrilled as it was.
    A. If I'm spending that kind of money I would want 10mm axles. They feel far more solid under my wieght.

B. For some reason I find the fact that you have to redrill the board annoying. Why not just have the same hole pattern as the rest of the planet?

but this thread is about the BIGBONE. I asked ALEX to come on and give us a breakdown of the construction.

-Bernard Shaw-

-Mark Grimace-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's about the board. But I was just curious.

Anny chance of the board becoming a 6 wheeler in the future? Would be awsome

Order of the 'Fish Crappysurfer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can someone explain teh trosion boxz to me?
    seriously though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seriously though
    Basically, I think there are three individual cores that are then all vacuumed together, which makes it very stiff torsionally and very responsive. Search for the first thread where Alex introduced the Speedbone, I think he typed an explination. Or search for a video he posted in this forum, he talked about what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll let alex describe it better, but this is the basic idea of the triple torsion box, as I see it.

A torsion box is a hollow structure that is intended to resist torsion, or twisting forces. They are stiff, light, and resist twisting.

In the Wefunk triple torsion box decks, there are three torsion boxes, acting together. The center wood stringer, wrapped in UD carbon fiber, and the two sides of the foam core, which is capped in triaxial S-glass. Since there are three torsion boxes, each with slightly different properties due to their shape, cap material and core material, their properties 'blend'.

A flat piece of a single material has a simple relationship between force and deflection. You push harder, you get more deflection, proportional to the level of force. However, a torsion box, and particularly THREE boxes, each with different properties, gives a non-linear force/deflection rate. It might deflect easily at first, and then all of a sudden, stop responding to force. Thats the 'programmed flex' that he talks about. Early deflection from the triaxial foam cores (which are thicker, and 'engage' sooner), and then the flex slows down as the thinner (so it engages later) carbon wrapped stringer comes into play.

But while doing this, it has almost no torsional flex, because the three boxes side by side do a great job of resisting that sort of force.

Its a clever design. Making something as stiff as possible isn't that hard. But making it stiff torsionally, while still allowing a bit of flex along the long axis requires a clever design. Its stiff where it needs to be stiff, and flexes when it needs to flex.

Alex, feel free to correct me as necessary.

peace,
    sam
    "Certainly, this is not a sport for the sane, but a sport for the young and the reckless."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seriously though
    mmm ... i thought i tried to explain this a quazillion times.

the bottom part of the core basically consists of three elements (foam/wood/foam) with alternating 45° sides.
    each of this parts has it´s own glass encasement (and the wood the UD carbon) and those parts are together in the final outside cap.

it´s like this: /___\\__//___\
    three trapezoids glued together in one large one -- not so easy to twist.

this is combined with the sandwiched top resulting in the unique "bonecore".

but this is not just about torsional stiffness but also about flex and lightweight.
    there are lighter decks around but that was not the main goal in the design.

for further understanding of the bonecore concept this recent PM conversation might come handy:

Originally Posted by skatardude10
    Seems to me like, the stiffer the board, the more response / predictability / grip you get from your wheels and trucks. It also seems like a tad bit of flex helps the grip... UNTILL your wheels break way. You said your board flexxes just a tad bit, then goes stiff. Let me take a guess...

When you say 'Programmed flex'... (just taking a stab at what you programmed it for) do you mean that you made it so it flexxes just enough to the point where the wheels break traction and at that point the board gets stiff so that you get the predictability / response aspect?

With programmed flex I mean that it really flexes but just for a few cm ... maybe 1 1/2" -- then the flex stops and the deck becomes harder ... it doesn´t bend or twist when hitting sharp cornes like thinner flexing decks do.
    The UD carbon inforced stringer is recessed a few mm in the decks´ surface so under load first the glassfibres with the weaker tensile strength are used giving the deck the flex -- then the carbon kicks in gradually stopping the flex.

I think keeping/braking traction for drifts is mainly influenced by your choise of wheels.
    BUT: The bonecore construction with it´s "programmed" flex absorbs some of the little shocks and vibration caused by road roughness and little bumps (like repaired pavement) making it more predictable and comfortable than a stonehard and thick wooddeck. With less vibration it´s easier to keep traction. It´s lower mass giving less outside momentum in corners also helps.
    Of course it´s not magic and not a hoverboard. (but close )

In case you might worry it flexes/bends/twists when cornering ... here are some shots that show the difference:
    The first three pics is wefunk teamrider Boris Schinke the third an unknown rider with an unknown flexing composite deck:

same corner shot from the inside (guy with brown shirt in the 2nd pic ^^) used for the ad in Naphte:

^^ That torsional twisting won´t happen in the Speedbone making it more predictable in corners.
    If you hang in the impulse really gets to your trucks and isn´t lost in a twisting deck.

Hope that helped answering your question.

cheers
    alex

(ps: May I post that (your Q, my A) on the speedboarding forum? Maybe it clears things up for others as well.)
    wefunk® - spacetime bending machines
    composite design and lobotomy services
    www.facebook.com/wefunkSkateboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW ... I was a little bit too fast with my answer and didn´t see that you already answered it better than I could with my limited english skills.

So if now anybody asks I simply link them to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by phidauex
    I'll let alex describe it better, but this is the basic idea of the triple torsion box, as I see it.

A torsion box is a hollow structure that is intended to resist torsion, or twisting forces. They are stiff, light, and resist twisting.

In the Wefunk triple torsion box decks, there are three torsion boxes, acting together. The center wood stringer, wrapped in UD carbon fiber, and the two sides of the foam core, which is capped in triaxial S-glass. Since there are three torsion boxes, each with slightly different properties due to their shape, cap material and core material, their properties 'blend'.

A flat piece of a single material has a simple relationship between force and deflection. You push harder, you get more deflection, proportional to the level of force. However, a torsion box, and particularly THREE boxes, each with different properties, gives a non-linear force/deflection rate. It might deflect easily at first, and then all of a sudden, stop responding to force. Thats the 'programmed flex' that he talks about. Early deflection from the triaxial foam cores (which are thicker, and 'engage' sooner), and then the flex slows down as the thinner (so it engages later) carbon wrapped stringer comes into play.

But while doing this, it has almost no torsional flex, because the three boxes side by side do a great job of resisting that sort of force.

Its a clever design. Making something as stiff as possible isn't that hard. But making it stiff torsionally, while still allowing a bit of flex along the long axis requires a clever design. Its stiff where it needs to be stiff, and flexes when it needs to flex.

Alex, feel free to correct me as necessary.

peace,
    sam
    wefunk® - spacetime bending machines
    composite design and lobotomy services
    www.facebook.com/wefunkSkateboards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alex, thanks for your description, I guess I wasn't that far off!

mmm ... i thought i tried to explain this a quazillion times.
    Thats the problem with being an innovator! You have to describe your product constantly. If you are tired of describing how it works, you could always go back to 9 ply maple and polyurethane, that way it would work just like every other skateboard ever made, and you wouldn't have to describe a thing.

peace,
    sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maguns have a larger baseplate in order to make dropthrough mounting more strong. With randals and other trucks there isn't enough wood and the bolt holes can break. With maguns there is much more wood around the bolt holes. I don't see what the big deal is. People have multiple truck mounting holes so why not just have magun and regular truck mounting holes?
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\TNTRide.com\\\\\\\\\\\\\Triple8.co m|||||||||||||||Caliber Truck Co.//////////////PhatDeanz.com////////////////

[Wells] 7:01 pm: fifi's like the worst possible representative of the east coast
    [Wells] 7:01 pm: i'd rather have derv than that kid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wefunk
    WOW ... I was a little bit too fast with my answer and didn´t see that you already answered it better than I could with my limited english skills.

So if now anybody asks I simply link them to this thread.
    Glad the description worked for you! I've got to put all my science educator experience to work somehow. Let me know if you want me to write anything up for you or your website, I'd be happy to 'translate' German Engineer to English Human.

peace,
    sam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS