ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Riding rough pavement?

Hello all! I am new to longboarding and have a few questions.

Title question is how well do longboards handle cruddy pavement.
    This can be things like bad sidewalks where one slab is 1" higher then the next, or decent sized rocks that you do not see until you hit.

To give a little background:
    I am snowboarder going through withdrawl. I have looked at T-Board, Freebord, and have tried Ripstick. The T&F seem great for snowboard likeness, but I want something that I can ride around the neighborhood. And the T/Freebord seem made for the hills.

Once I got a handle on the Ripstick, it did the job of getting a workout. Once you hit a decent crack though, the board stops and my body ejects. More of an adrenaline rush then I want.

Any suggestions and advice is appreciated, perhaps Longboarding is not the right fit for what I want.

Thanks!

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Riding rough pavement

The roads around here are pretty cruddy (chip coat). If you run big soft wheels 75mm+ you should be pretty comfortable on the rough pavement. IDK about 1in differences in sidewalk segments.
    Loaded Dervish/Tan Tien, Paris 180mm, Purp O-tangs, Reds

Moderator Shinobo Sukebo BigTreeFallHard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Riding rough pavement?

out of all those boards, a longboard is def the one you should look most into. as far as rough pavement, 75mm wheels will provide a comfier ride, or if u get some big abec11 flywheels if u dare and ur board can handle it to really tackle cracks and the like. as far as 1 inch differences between sidewalk segments, i'd think twice before riding into it. some speed will obviously help u ride over it smoother, but some of the times i've been most caught off guard on my board was headin up a sidewalk and get catapulted off the front of my board cuz there was a difference in slab height and my board simply stopped rolling forward. The streets will likely give u a better ride that the sidewalk, plus you'll have more freedom to move around.
    My Fleet:Loaded:Dervish,Dancer,Fattail,Bhangra,Chubby Unicorn/Roggs Dancer/LBL:Komodo&OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis&Demonseed/EW Thruster/Soda B2H 1 and 2 & Crank/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AMwood 1/2 dance

Quote Originally Posted by Brute379 View Post
    The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion119net View Post
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most longboard setups can take decent-sized cracks, bad road-seal, and fairly rough sidewalks in stride.

If you want a setup that makes the ride as smooth as possible look into large, soft wheels with a lot of urethane depth (76mm+ in size and with a duro rating of 75-80a), a deck with a nice dampening flex and some shock absorbers or soft risers to put in between the trucks and deck to mute road vibrations even more.

Word of warning though... At first you won't be too comfortable riding down roads with bad seal and rough sidewalks but I assure you that that feeling will go away the more you skate and get a feel for longboard behaviour. I could however be entirely wrong because I'm not too sure how much the fact that you snowboard will affect your skating learning curve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zigzags View Post
    Most longboard setups can take decent-sized cracks, bad road-seal, and fairly rough sidewalks in stride.

If you want a setup that makes the ride as smooth as possible look into large, soft wheels with a lot of urethane depth (76mm+ in size and with a duro rating of 75-80a), a deck with a nice dampening flex and some shock absorbers or soft risers to put in between the trucks and deck to mute road vibrations even more.

Word of warning though... At first you won't be too comfortable riding down roads with bad seal and rough sidewalks but I assure you that that feeling will go away the more you skate and get a feel for longboard behaviour. I could however be entirely wrong because I'm not too sure how much the fact that you snowboard will affect your skating learning curve.
    It helps I'd say. Snowboarder gone longboarder here. It's just about determination. Btw I'm thinking 3dm Avilas or 75a gumballs for a plush ride.
    [Loaded: Chubby Unicorn, Tesseract, Dervish Sama][LongboardLarry Komodo][Roggs: Jr Dancer, Wannabe][Rayne: Avenger, Rival, Isis]
    twitter.com/jorelle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the info!

Sounds like I may have to give up sidewalk riding idea for street instead.
    The way people drive here, I don't trust other cars when I am in a car!

Also forgot to mention that this gives me evidence for my wife.
    After the Ripstick purchase she is concerned that all this "stuff" is fine for a smooth area/skate park, but not any good for getting around real terrain.

As far as disciplines go, I assume Carving/Sliding is what I would want to graduate too someday, for a similar thrill to snowboarding?

Hamden, Connecticut - Santa Cruz for the Summer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigTreeFallHard View Post
    out of all those boards, a longboard is def the one you should look most into. as far as rough pavement, 75mm wheels will provide a comfier ride, or if u get some big abec11 flywheels if u dare and ur board can handle it to really tackle cracks and the like. as far as 1 inch differences between sidewalk segments, i'd think twice before riding into it. some speed will obviously help u ride over it smoother, but some of the times i've been most caught off guard on my board was headin up a sidewalk and get catapulted off the front of my board cuz there was a difference in slab height and my board simply stopped rolling forward. The streets will likely give u a better ride that the sidewalk, plus you'll have more freedom to move around.
    large avilas will do the job better
    the 75mm 73a ones will roll over most anything although theyd be slow... I'd go with 77a

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SOFT Nice and smooth, fastest out of all here Mile High Skates
    Mile High Skates I've noticed gumballs to be stopped easier by rocks but you get a very smooth ride.
    Also soft, smooth and grippy, faster than below3DM Avila 75mm 73a Translucent Red Skateboard Wheels - 2 Wheels
    Softest you can find. 3DM Avila 75mm 73a Translucent Red Skateboard Wheels - 2 Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyz View Post
    SOFT Nice and smooth, fastest out of all here Mile High Skates
    Mile High Skates I've noticed gumballs to be stopped easier by rocks but you get a very smooth ride.
    Also soft, smooth and grippy, faster than below3DM Avila 75mm 73a Translucent Red Skateboard Wheels - 2 Wheels
    Softest you can find. 3DM Avila 75mm 73a Translucent Red Skateboard Wheels - 2 Wheels

What makes you think the gumballs will get stopped more easily?

certainly more chunk resistant than anything reflex also which is crucial with rough/sketchy pavement.
    NOLA LONGBOARDS.COM <--- Returning shortly! NO, REALLY!!!!

nolalongboards.blogspot.com

live to skate, skate or die.[/SIZE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gumballs are ok for commuting, not soft enough really though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings fellow old person!

The simple answer to your question is, "Yes, buy a longboard."

The wheel issue is tricky, because whatever shape/duro/urethane formula/urethane thickness/etc you use, a lot will also depend on the flex/dampening of whatever board you find yourself in love with, the type of trucks and their tightness, the shape and hardness of the bushings you have in them, risers, etc.--in other words everything. I ride crap pavement exclusively, I don't use any wheels softer than 80a or bigger than 72mm, and my teeth don't chatter. 65mm 83a centerset wheels feel fine on soft-tuned trucks and a dampening deck. 66mm 83a slalom-style lipped wheels feel cushy. Think holistically.

But first: buy a board, get obsessed and join the zombie mob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrdan View Post
    Are you implying that I'm a dick?!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackantz 915 View Post
    and when did dude ever specifically refer to the male gender.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a snowboarder stuck in the sweltering South who only gets to ride once a year so I understand where you're coming from. Longboarding started as something to tide me over until the next trip out West but it has become it's own passion for me. There are lots of similarities and once you get a handle on the differences, I'm sure you'll be loving it just the same.

I don't have tons of experience with wheels so I'll differ that to more experienced riders. I can say that my Comet FSM with Randall 180mm trucks with 50 degree baseplates and 93a/90a barrel bushings feels very much like a snowboard in the way it carves and how the shape of the board locks your feet in. Everyone who has stepped on it comments how natural it feels to ride.

You might also want to look into buying a Never Summer. This is the co. that makes the snowboard I ride.I have ridden one of their longboards, Norad, and that's kind of where the itch started for me. They have a great dampening technology with their snowboards that I think has transferred over to their skateboards.

If your pavement is really bad you might want to consider something with a kicktail that you can use to lift the front wheels over cracks. There are some cracks that just can't be ridden straight over.

I hope this helps. Get on a board and ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a snowboarder I have to say that my landyachtz switch reminds me of being strapped into my libbtech skate banana (it's a snowboard) It's all to do with the huge stance (I'm a park rat)

both make me smile the same

notice the similarity lol
    Last edited by Bruce22; 07-02-2009 at 04:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you got a really bad sidewalk, maybe a kicktail should help you go over some stuff.

i have 70mm and 78a wheels, if a get some speed i can go over many cracks and stuff, without any hassle.
    but in a very crazy sidewalk (like the ones near my house) i don't even try. There are so many height differences, and so many cracks, that i would only try with a shlong or a 38' with a nice kicktail and 150mm trucks.

but most of sidewalks, even with some cracks, with a soft wheel you can do pretty fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kicktail is a great idea... and lots of flex

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Embrace Danger. Shinobo Sukebo Mile_High_Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decks I would recommend:

• Comet FSM
    • Landyachtz Switch or Drop Speed

Trucks:

• MHS Hybrid 215 (FSM)
    • Bear Grizzly (Landyachtz)

Wheels are the tricky part. If you want to steamroller over imperfections, you'll want something like a Gumball, BigZig, or the larger Sector 9 Race Formula wheels.

If, however, you'll be doing some sliding/drifting (which I think you will be, given your background), you should consider the Retro FreeRide, Orangatang Stimulus or Durian, or Gravity Drifter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again for the responses.

Mark at MHS is going to setup a Comet FSM to handle "roughage" for me.

I will post back later with real world experience.

Orchestrating the Magic Capo di Tutti Posto Bookworm's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno about the switch for bad pavement. he might get highsided on a good bump.
    MagicSkateCo.
    www.ShredMagic.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Down & Dirty View Post
    When I die, I want to be buried in this thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanted to give an update.
    I purchased a board from Mile High Skates.
    Comet FSM
    MHS Hybrid 215 (FSM), Sector 9 Race Formula wheels.

And have been quite happy with how it handles rough pavement.
    On the streets I have not hit anything that stopped the board, and some of the cracks/holes in the road have been rather large.

Only on bad sidewalks where the next slab is over 1" higher, do I have to stop the board and carry it over.

I have not ridden steep enough hills to get a 'snowboarding ride', though I can feel a bit of it once I get some speed.

I have also found it to be great cross-training exercise as all the pushing can really work the muscles. Though I hope that once I get the hang of things, I can push less and ride more.

Thanks again for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS