ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default What causes speed wobbles?

may i know what causes speed wobbles? is i the deck or the truck or the rider?
    Why can't we all just get alongboard!

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What causes speed wobbles?

I'm gonna give ya a wiki (because it's 6am and I haven't slept).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_wobble
    Have you accepted Cheezus into your mouth???
    Omen Carbon Matrix, Surf-Rodz 176+10mm 45*, S9 CS Round-Lip RaceForm 73mm/80a
    Landyachtz 9two5, Surf-Rodz 176+20mm 50*, S9 CS Round-Lip RaceForm 76mm/80a
    Rayne Nemesis, Paris 180mm, Earthwing Floaters 70mm/81a
    Landyachtz DH Race, Seismic 180mm, Abec11 Flywheels 97mm/75a

+1 Sweet patella-tendon graft holding my right knee together again!

Post Thanks / Like

It's

And

to control them.
    Airotica Lambchop - EW Crewzer - Candy Spanks Super Chili Can
    with a bit of
    Paris - Caliber - Indy - Bennett - Tracker - Metro - EW - O'tang - Venom - RipTide - Reflex - Riot
    from
    Soda Factory
    - Longboardskater - Muir - Sk8Kings
    Wearing some Triple 8, 187, Bell, and ASL

Post Thanks / Like

http://issuu.com/markintosh/docs/cw_bg2011_web_1

Latest CW Buyers Guide has a great article about it.
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but leaves will make it fun!!"

Subsonic Pulse Prototype-Don't Trip Poppys-75mm Avilas 75a/75mm Black Ops 77a or Lemon/Lime Big Zigs

Post Thanks / Like

do larger wheels cause speed wobbles? i rarely get them on my switch, i have gon 35 with out wobbles on 70mm wheels. then i got 81mm race forms and i get them at about 25mph...

Post Thanks / Like

No... larger wheels will not give you wobbles. Large wheels accelerate slower but will have a higher top speed, so in theory you could get wobbles because they are faster. But it is just your technique not the wheels.
    34" Chopped Annika-----Landy Ripple Ridge
    47* rakeless Buzzed V2's-----Indy 169's
    Pink 7'0s-----78a os Raceforms

Moderator Capo di Tutti Posto BigTreeFallHard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madopun View Post
    do larger wheels cause speed wobbles? i rarely get them on my switch, i have gon 35 with out wobbles on 70mm wheels. then i got 81mm race forms and i get them at about 25mph...
    Was nothing else changed on the setup?
    Bushings, washers, truck tightnes, etc.

Keep in mind that there's a ton of variability caused by the human body. You merely could've had less weight on your front foot that caused the wobbs to come easier.
    My Fleet: Loaded: Dervish, Dancer, Fattail, Bhangra/Roggs Dancer/LBL: Komodo & OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis/Earthwing Thruster/Soda Factory Born to Hula/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AM wood 1/2 dance

Quote Originally Posted by Brute379 View Post
    The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion119net View Post
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember to never fight the wobbles. If you fight them and try to control them they end up throwing you around. I close my eyes and pretend I'm in a different place/go relatively limp.

I never lose battles against wobbles.
    Setup:
    Loaded Tan Tien
    Paris Trucks
    Abec 11 Flashbacks 70mm 81a
    Mile High Skates/Bones Super Reds bearings

Post Thanks / Like

well i always change from my 85a venom bushing for down hill to my normal bear bushings for freeride, i was using them when i got the wobbles, but i have gone 35 on the bear bushing before and i was fine, its probably just in my head,

Post Thanks / Like

There are a ton of variables involved, so it is really difficult to determine exactly what is influencing what. ANY change in setup, including different size wheels can have an effect. You can, and do, have an effect too.

But don't let anyone on here tell you "it's all in you, you have weak ankles, etc." they have good intentions which is to say that the final factor is the rider. But in between you and the road is a mechanical system (read the concrete wave article posted above) with a natural oscillation frequency. On some setups you can feel the wobbles coming or never come at all. On others they come on strong and fast and can really throw you in the space of two wobbs. some major equipment factors:

wheelbase
    board-to-truck width ratio
    truck angles or wedging
    bushing hardness & truck tightness
    *any* truck slop can make things a lot worse
    even rougher pavement can more readily throw your trucks into oscillation.

split-angle trucks help because the two trucks each have a different natural oscillation frequency and they can't gang up on you, plus it is a "trailing " system (see the CW article)

Going to a larger wheel changed the amount of gyroscopic force at each corner, it will have an effect. But if I had to guess I would think it would have made things better and not worse. What I do on each of my setups is try to find the speed where the board is feeling twitchy and I deliberately do a few quick "ankle carves" just to get a feel for what the board wants to do at speed, and what the wobble would feel like if it happened. Then I can better anticipate them and you also get a quick idea of what a rock or something else that might throw a quick carve at you would feel like.

There is seemingly contradicting advice on here when people either talk about ankle strength vs. relaxing when wobbles occur. You don't want to go totally limp but stiffening up or trying to correct for the wobbles can feed them and get worse.

It's all about energy, your trucks need to have some dampening but you are the biggest damper (think shock absorber). You want to disperse that energy or move it by trying to soak it up or by moving your position on the board. Your front truck is more stable but even leaning back has helped me in some situations, or putting my weight over my front foot but simultaneously moving my back foot closer to the rear truck. If you are standing in the middle of the board you will have less control over your trucks no matter what.

So, relax, be ready to carve it out, but watch your foot placement (weight the front truck but moving your back foot can help too).

Or just buy some Ronins 40/30. jk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Varion View Post
    Just remember to never fight the wobbles. If you fight them and try to control them they end up throwing you around. I close my eyes and pretend I'm in a different place/go relatively limp.
    9/10 doctors do not recommend closing your eyes while longboarding, esp. during speed wobbles

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks for the advice

Moderator Capo di Tutti Posto BigTreeFallHard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by InnADrift View Post

There is seemingly contradicting advice on here when people either talk about ankle strength vs. relaxing when wobbles occur. You don't want to go totally limp but stiffening up or trying to correct for the wobbles can feed them and get worse.

It's all about energy, your trucks need to have some dampening but you are the biggest damper (think shock absorber). You want to disperse that energy or move it by trying to soak it up or by moving your position on the board. Your front truck is more stable but even leaning back has helped me in some situations, or putting my weight over my front foot but simultaneously moving my back foot closer to the rear truck. If you are standing in the middle of the board you will have less control over your trucks no matter what.
    You know, for all the rigamaroll and pseudo-rant you gave in your other 'toppy' thread, I gotta say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the eloquence in your words.

Similar to when people get in car accidents...you're much more likely to get injured when you tense your muscles up in comparison to say, a drunk driver or person asleep at the wheel, their bodies remain limp and absorb the blows of impact much better. Similarly, when a rider experiences wobbles and they tense up, their bodies can worsen the oscillations of the trucks and exascerbate the wobbles.
    By remaining loose, your body indeed acts as a huge shock absorber to offset the wobbles and reduce/dampen their effect so that you can retain control over the board.

When I speak of ankle strength in relation to speed wobbles, I don't mean that you should make your ankles stiff. But having a strong "core" in your ankles will help you to maintain a good tuck and stable legs.
    Keeping your joints fluid and dynamic help to keep balance, but newbies who haven't developed good ankle and leg strength to be able to hold a tuck can be as noodle-like as they want...wobbles are still gonna wreak havoc.
    My Fleet: Loaded: Dervish, Dancer, Fattail, Bhangra/Roggs Dancer/LBL: Komodo & OSD/Comet FSM/LY: Switch & Wedgeflex/Rayne Nemesis/Earthwing Thruster/Soda Factory Born to Hula/Drang Dancer/Subsonic Killroy/AM wood 1/2 dance

Quote Originally Posted by Brute379 View Post
    The deck is merely the interface that connects you to the trucks/wheels/road. It should be comfortable. It should inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by orion119net View Post
    got to dance with my buddy who's visiting from home......that sounded straighter in my head
    Do you Dancer Slalom?

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS