ADVERTISEMENT

Thread: DH Fishtail?

Post Thanks / Like

Default DH Fishtail?

Okay, so I've been longboarding for a few months now & bombing hills on a greg noll 46" pintail but I'm over it because it's just too big and awkward so I just bought an S9 fiji 38" bamboo fishtail deck yesterday. I consider myself a noob at this and before y'all get at me and bite my head off I'm interested in turning this deck into a downhill deck. I'm looking at Caliber 50 degree trucks for it and I want to know if I should get 9" trucks to match the deck width or 10" to have stability? I don't know if there will be wheelbite or kickbite...

Tell me if you think this is a big no no or no biggie. I really like these pintail boards so I'm trying to experiment.
    I do also ride a Landyachtz switch 40" 2013 so I'm familiar with actual DH boards.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DH Fishtail?

Why not just keep the switch as your primary downhill board and keep the other one as a cruiser/commuter. GENERALLY, not all the time (for example rayne) , but generally bamboo does not make a good downhill deck because of the flexiness. The switch though is a pretty good downhill/freeride board. That's just my opinion though. If you really wanted to improve the feel of it though i would maybe put some Paris 180 trucks on there. I would not expect to any major downhill but it will still be more stable and carve nicely with the right bushing set up.
    Last edited by LYconnor; 06-23-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well see, the Landy isn't mine, it's my best friends and he lets me ride it whenever. But the S9 board itself is very stiff actually and doesn't flex at all which is why I bought it. But I figured with that taken into consideration I could possibly turn it into a cruiser/dh hybrid. I mean I'm not going flying down nob hill in san fransisco or anything with the thing. Just some decent sized inclines. I mean, I do it with my current pintail no problem with little to no wobble and I don't panic when it does wobble I usually just keep goin so I don't fall but now I'm just rambling.

So you think I could pull this project off? If not, I mean I got another pretty cruiser out of it lol

Post Thanks / Like

Well in that case ya a truck upgrade could make it handle some stuff. Maybe upgrade to the gullwing charger IIs. You won't be hittin maryhill or anything but you could handle some moderate stuff and then it will still be a comfortable commuter. You also may want to upgrade to some more suitable bushings to your weight, although i hear the stock ones are actually pretty decent. But i don't know your weight.

Concrete Kahuna koalasarepandas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Charger II's are, in my opinion, the best cast truck out there, but then again, I haven't tried them all. Throw them on that deck with some 72mm 78a Cannibals or Rads and go faaast.

You might want to get some grippy grip, too. I think that board has .25" of concave. DH is doable on that concave, but you may want the extra grip from some griptape such as Silvagrip (will last a loooong time) vicious, Jessup super coarse, Edgar downhill formula, Gator grip, or Mob coarse grit.
    Last edited by koalasarepandas; 06-23-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you bro I'll deff look into it. and yeah I'm 5'10 at 160lbs.
    I had my eyes on Cloud Ride Ozone 70mm wheels but only because I want something slidey maybe. But I've never owned squared offset wheels so perhaps it could be a new fun experience.
    The Landy has zombie hawgs with bear grizzly 852's

Post Thanks / Like

Ehh i would stick with the chargers and maybe some abec11 flashbacks or zigzags.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright I gotchu thanks for the help! Can't wait

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS