ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question TLS Basic or Kracked Skulls M1?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to build a board for a friend of mine. She doesn't have a longboard of her own but loves riding them so I'm putting one together for her for a secret surprise gift...

Anyway, I've bought trucks (randal 180s [new design]) and wheels (70mm Earthwing superballs) and I'm now looking at decks. I think I have it down to either the TLS Basic or the Kracked Skulls M1... so, who here has ridden either (better yet, both) of these decks and can give some input? The intended recipient commented that she liked the flex on my board (reasonably flexy generic pintail) and if I had to guess I would say she weighs about 120.

Does anyone know if the TLS has any kind of camber, concave, or anything?

thanks

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TLS Basic or Kracked Skulls M1?

according to the longboard store its a flat board, so I'm guessing no concave or camber, but if its for a girl who weighs 120 lbs, I'm guessing that a 46" kracked skull would be too big. I would recommend the TLS board, but I've never ridden either, just my two cents based on the descriptions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hanshun View Post
    but if its for a girl who weighs 120 lbs, I'm guessing that a 46" kracked skull would be too big.
    my pintail is 41" so the kracked skulls isn't all that much larger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest emailing Will at KS (owner/builder) and talking to him. There is a good possibliitly he could build a smaller M1, or if not, more likely a smaller Scimitar (similar to the M1 but with bigger wheel wells and a little more regidity).

mabey a 42-44 inch?

the boards do have some camber, and concave, which is generally preffered for general riding

shoot him an email, its on his website

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I suggest emailing Will at KS (owner/builder) and talking to him. There is a good possibliitly he could build a smaller M1, or if not, more likely a smaller Scimitar (similar to the M1 but with bigger wheel wells and a little more regidity).

mabey a 42-44 inch?

the boards do have some camber, and concave, which is generally preffered for general riding

shoot him an email, its on his website
    he does make a different version of the board posted on his site. its pretty much in any size from 38-46" with bigger wheel wells but it costs 30$ more than his original available on the site. i have his original and i love it! i would definitely recommend it over the TLS board cuz its very great for carving with r2 180s and is also stable cuz of drop thru. she would love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I previously owned a 42" Scimitar. Fun board and great starter. However, keep in mind that they took a little price hike as of '08. Also, it won't be very flexy under 120 lbs. Flex was pretty mild even at my 200 lbs. I would ask Mark at Mile High Skates about this deck (might require some riser): Mile High Skates

He'll be honest in his advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 06metzp View Post
    my pintail is 41" so the kracked skulls isn't all that much larger
    yea, but what is the wheelbase of your pintail, I'm guessing it has an extra 4 inches of useless board as a pintail. The kracked skulls have a huge wheel base and I just feel like it would be too big to manuever for someone of her size. Not saying its not a nice board for the price but for 30$ I'd go with The longboard store, you really don't need concave for general riding and it does say that it has some flex to it, one thing I've heard the kracked skull does not have much of. But again, I haven't ridden either, just my opinions from what I've heard and seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hanshun View Post
    yea, but what is the wheelbase of your pintail, I'm guessing it has an extra 4 inches of useless board as a pintail. The kracked skulls have a huge wheel base and I just feel like it would be too big to manuever for someone of her size. Not saying its not a nice board for the price but for 30$ I'd go with The longboard store, you really don't need concave for general riding and it does say that it has some flex to it, one thing I've heard the kracked skull does not have much of. But again, I haven't ridden either, just my opinions from what I've heard and seen.
    i weigh 130 and it was plenty flexy for me. and its very manueverable. my sister that is like 5"1' at 85lbs had no problem using it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jordanj2133 View Post
    I previously owned a 42" Scimitar. Fun board and great starter. However, keep in mind that they took a little price hike as of '08. Also, it won't be very flexy under 120 lbs. Flex was pretty mild even at my 200 lbs. I would ask Mark at Mile High Skates about this deck (might require some riser): Mile High Skates

He'll be honest in his advice.
    Thanks, I sent him a PM about that deck. I have to run to class now (unfortunately not roll it snowed about 6" last night and still coming down) but after that I'll send an email off to Will at KS to see if he can help me out at all. Thanks for the helpful info guys, keep it coming!

::edit::

I got a response back from Mark about the deck - he says it's a bit on the stiff side, so I think I'll pass. I just got off the phone with William from Kracked Skulls (very helpful by the way) and he'll be sending me some info about his Scimitar board. I'm worried it'll cost more than I want to spend though, considering I'm running a bit low on cash at the moment and would like somehow to manage to add a dancer and Mosquito to my quiver before I head off to Hawaii for 10 weeks starting in May.
    Last edited by 06metzp; 02-26-2008 at 12:55 PM.

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS