Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Longboarding in Florida

Looking to spend up to $200
    Cruising is mostly the type of riding I want to do.
    I weigh about 200lbs.
    I'm 6' 1" tall.

I live in central Florida and there are a serious lack of hills... or any kind of incline for that matter. I'm looking to buy a longboard and want to know what would be best for my needs. I really just want to cruise around, maybe some light tricks: manuals, noseriding, etc., etc.. I read the guide here and I think I have a basic idea, but would like some more input. thoughts?
    Last edited by Lughaidh; 05-29-2008 at 01:01 PM.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Longboarding in Florida

Welcome to silverfish bro. It's nice seeing another member from the central florida area, and yes, nothing but flat boring, also busy roads here. The S9 maccas deck with randals and gumballs I think has thus far suited me very well and im also 200lbs. I would probably go for another brand on the deck, but randals make a pretty good truck for carving, cruising, pumping, and other disciplines as well. And you'd probably want some big and soft wheels, about 70-76mm, 78-82a duro. I have an extra bomb factory pintail deck I'd sell to you for real cheap. If you live in the orlando area, you can try out my board and ill even slap on my randals w/gumballs on my pintail to see if you like it. You can also check out kracked skulls or Arcane, a member that custom builds very fairly priced decks on here, you should check him out. I've also read good things about loaded, gravity, bustin, GFH, ect... don't really have experiences with any mind you, except for a 24" GFH mini and the pintail and 2 S9s I own.
    Last edited by PRDM; 05-29-2008 at 10:31 PM.

DROP D I Support The Fish
    Addicted Cruiser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find some parking garages

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lughaidh View Post
    I weigh about 200lbs.
    I'm 6' 1" tall.

I live in central Florida and there are a serious lack of hills... or any kind of incline for that matter. I'm looking to buy a longboard and want to know what would be best for my needs. I really just want to cruise around, maybe some light tricks: manuals, noseriding, etc., etc.. I read the guide here and I think I have a basic idea, but would like some more input. thoughts?

hey I live in o-town floridaaa, I'm gonna say a loaded, vanguard allll the way, I freestyle a ton with these lack of hills, trust me it's great, just check out my videos below n you'll seee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I weigh about 200lbs.
    I'm 6' 1" tall.

NW central Fl is where the hills are.
    They might not be real mountains, with the possible exception of Sugarloaf, but...............

You would need leathers, slide gloves, a full face, and a serious board for that one.

Lots of stores selling entry level cruising longboards in Orlando.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah I live in Sebring, about an hour... hour and a half from Orlando. No parking garages here. I'm actually going up there today, what's a good shop? I'll probably be heading to Ron Jon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ron Jon only has sector 9's. Buy online if you want a decent board.

I live in Orlando and it is mostly flat. Garages are the way to go unless you know where the few good hills are. (There is a really nice one for Florida on Apopka-Vineland towards the north end where it goes under the toll road.

And go with a loaded vanguard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by longboard ys View Post
    hey I live in o-town floridaaa, I'm gonna say a loaded, vanguard allll the way, I freestyle a ton with these lack of hills, trust me it's great, just check out my videos below n you'll seee
    Yeah, actually caught some of your vids searching for longboarding on youtubes. I had looked at the Vanguard, but the nose seemed a little narrow to me for manuals and stuff. You don't seem to have any issues. That LBL Dancer looks like lots of fun though. Think it be too much for a beginner?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The vanguard can be manualed pretty easily; it just takes some time to learn the proper technique with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, actually caught some of your vids searching for longboarding on youtubes. I had looked at the Vanguard, but the nose seemed a little narrow to me for manuals and stuff. You don't seem to have any issues. That LBL Dancer looks like lots of fun though. Think it be too much for a beginner?
    Dancer for a beginner, nooo wayy, It's a tiiight board for anybody, n actually after I said you should get the vanguard I thought about it n was like hmm maybe the dancer would of beena better choice, btu still you can manual easily on the vanguard n if you think you cant thennn hmmm just see adam S. do it n he's taller than you, oh n peterglenn shop sell loadeds, but its more of a snowboard/winter stuff shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gravity minicarve or hypercarve for cheap, but good boards. they have a nose and tail, and can be used for almost anything. Get the tracker dart 149's, because they will be lower to the ground than randals, plus they boards were made for trackers. You can order either of these setups on gravity's website for about $140. If you want to make any upgrades in the near future, I would suggest a higher quality wheel. Any abec11 wheel is good and the lipped earthwings are also good.

I would advise against a vanguard, especially for riding in florida. They are pretty high off the ground, and you will be pushing a lot, so this matters. Also, I think it is pretty hard to manual a vanguard, but I don't own one, so I don't have as mych practice(3 of my friends own them though). The loaded Dervish is pretty much better in every way for you, because it is lower to the ground and has more useable nose/tails. I have one and love it. but if you don't want to spend $250 on a setup, then go with the gravity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check out the buy and sell classifieds here on the 'fish. i believe i saw a dervish up for sale not too long ago, or at least a thread about someone wanting to sell theirs...that'd be a good way to go if you really really want a loaded but don't like the high price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah I live in Sebring, about an hour... hour and a half from Orlando. No parking garages here. I'm actually going up there today, what's a good shop? I'll probably be heading to Ron Jon.
    You live in Sebring? You have some decent hills closer to you than you think. I live on the south side of Polk county, and there are some spots to be found nearby. We're doing a little bit of a local session tomorrow, and we're right in your neck of the woods. Hit me with a PM if you want to come ride with us. If you didn't pick up a board today, we'll have one for you to ride tomorrow.
    "You could call me a gentleman’s gentleman but you’d be wrong on both counts."
    -Chuck Palahniuk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check out a fibreflex or a loaded.
    MotionBoardshop
    Predrifting is for kids that think footbraking is for bigzigz
    Freeriding is coming down to who can do the most twirlies, i do not do twirlies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sebring.......AND.......Beverly Hills/Clermont.8)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your on the east coast anywhere - dont forget the cocoa beach surf co. They sell Rayne, Loaded, 3dm, abec 11, bennet...almost every top name you can think of.
    Hey..Flo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I weigh about 200lbs.
    I'm 6' 1" tall.

you probably want to get a sector9 as they make some good boards that are godd for just cruisin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my first board was a vanguard and I wasn't disappointed at all. definitely a good choice. as for hills cady way trail has a bridge that crosses over i think 436 (but dont quote me on that) and its good for slides and such.
    < Signature Pending >

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sleutho View Post
    gravity minicarve or hypercarve for cheap, but good boards. they have a nose and tail, and can be used for almost anything. Get the tracker dart 149's, because they will be lower to the ground than randals, plus they boards were made for trackers. You can order either of these setups on gravity's website for about $140. If you want to make any upgrades in the near future, I would suggest a higher quality wheel. Any abec11 wheel is good and the lipped earthwings are also good.

I would advise against a vanguard, especially for riding in florida. They are pretty high off the ground, and you will be pushing a lot, so this matters. Also, I think it is pretty hard to manual a vanguard, but I don't own one, so I don't have as mych practice(3 of my friends own them though). The loaded Dervish is pretty much better in every way for you, because it is lower to the ground and has more useable nose/tails. I have one and love it. but if you don't want to spend $250 on a setup, then go with the gravity.
    mmm disagreee, I live in florida n push doesnt matter haha, Its not like its crazy high up its hard to reach the floor ha, the flexy feeling would do one good, I got two vanguards and there emazing, ones oak the other bamboo, I like the oak better, holds up nicer, nose manually is easy on it, learned it on that board so it not difficult at all, I like it more then the big noses. I'm not disagreeing on the dervish its a great board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by longboard ys View Post
    mmm disagreee, I live in florida n push doesnt matter haha, Its not like its crazy high up its hard to reach the floor ha, the flexy feeling would do one good, I got two vanguards and there emazing, ones oak the other bamboo, I like the oak better, holds up nicer, nose manually is easy on it, learned it on that board so it not difficult at all, I like it more then the big noses. I'm not disagreeing on the dervish its a great board.
    I used to ride a hugely tall board (exkate trucks) and was used to the height. I never thought it was that much worse than lower boards. Now that both my boards are low to the ground, I have realized that I can push harder and longer without getting as tired. I think its one of those things that you don't realize until you have made the switch. And the flex of loadeds actually takes away from the energy you put into each push. This is only made up by the fact that they are lighter than most stiff decks, and the difference isn't that great.

It mostly has to do with personal preferance though. I would recomend to try out different types of board before you buy. But from my preferances, I would get a gravity hypercarve with wedged trackers and 81a grippins or flashbacks as my first board. That board can do pretty much everything at least decently, although some people must have concave (I generally like it too, but I just like the way hypercarves feel).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS