ADVERTISEMENT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Strange Question... How to make my board slower?

The best way to make your board slower is to apply the brakes, either by footbraking or with a slide.

These are some of the most important skills to learn.

Footbraking is easiest it just takes practice.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok guys, i have been riding alot and i even put older bearings in to help slow me down. sadly they keep crapping out so i think ill just put some nicer new ones in.

another question though. The retro bigzig limes i got seem pretty dang fast. i have some older sector 9 slalom wheels that feel alot slower but the lip on them wouldn't allow for sliding easily. would switching to something like the retro flashbacks feel somewhat slower?
    the reason i ask is because i hear the bigzigs have the fancy reflex formula so would running less expensive wheels (not as fancy urethane) help by being a little slower?

im sure selling the bigzigs wouldn't be an issue so im open for all suggestions.
    Rayne hustler, black randal 180's, 78a grippins, venom super carves
    LY drop carve, Black paris 180's, S9 RF 70mm, venom bushings

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel you on this one. I too wanted the same thing. But, with time comes confidence and control. Things will seem slower to you the more you skate. The hill i started on and would #### my pants while "bombing" is now so much fun and seems slow to me. I thought about everything from dragging a 10 pound bag of sand behind my board to putting some type of goo in my bearings.

Definitely pad up all the way helmet, gloves, elbow, knee, and hip for the first couple weeks. Do not skimp on gear get good stuff. (If the #### hits the fan and you are going way to fast at least your gear can handle it.)

Get sticky wheels (Lime BigZigs are good) and carve hard to control your speed, stay low. When I started I practiced diving on the pavement because it was what I feared most. Taught myself to run it out, aim for grass and roll if you leave your feet.

LONGBOARDING IS NOT JUST ABOUT SPEED! It's about what you make of it. Dancing in tennis courts is fun. So is bombing at 30+mph.

Don't let anyone tell you how to define anything you do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flacke View Post
    I feel you on this one. I too wanted the same thing. But, with time comes confidence and control. Things will seem slower to you the more you skate. The hill i started on and would #### my pants while "bombing" is now so much fun and seems slow to me. I thought about everything from dragging a 10 pound bag of sand behind my board to putting some type of goo in my bearings.

Definitely pad up all the way helmet, gloves, elbow, knee, and hip for the first couple weeks. Do not skimp on gear get good stuff. (If the #### hits the fan and you are going way to fast at least your gear can handle it.)

Get sticky wheels (Lime BigZigs are good) and carve hard to control your speed, stay low. When I started I practiced diving on the pavement because it was what I feared most. Taught myself to run it out, aim for grass and roll if you leave your feet.

LONGBOARDING IS NOT JUST ABOUT SPEED! It's about what you make of it. Dancing in tennis courts is fun. So is bombing at 30+mph.

Nicely put & sig'd

Really, the more you do the easier it gets. I just started again last year, after 25+/-yrs, it took my old beat up knees some time to get the idea but just keep going! Just got footbreaking down and working on slides, I figure there is no time limit and falling practice is easy.
    Helmets because most of us can't afford to lose any more up there...

Quote Originally Posted by flacke View Post
    Gravity Hypercarve, Landyachtz Evo, Bustin Strike, FlexDex C29, Landyachtz Chinook, Dreggs Maggie, Landyachtz Urban Assault, Subsonic Swift, Rayne Demonseed, MHS/Clutch Blackbird, Night Dropthrough Carver

Moderator I Support The Fish
    Order of the 'Fish
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using grease in your bearings will slow things down.
    Flashbacks won't feel much slower than your current wheels, the main thing I would suggest is skate less steep hills and work up to the hills you are having trouble with,, control will come with your practice
    [FL_RIDER_93] 8:29 pm:edit: { removed due to [FL_RIDER_93] homophobia )
    #[green] 1:38 am: its not like this is my first time with him
    [Arcadium] 4:34 pm: i really dont care about the extra half inch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys,
    yeah the old bearing idea was not good. every day i go out a new one seizes up on me so im going to get some cheap no brand like the daddies ones or something.

maybe its technique but when i carve really hard with the lime bigzigs they seem to break out a little. not a problem on the heelside but it scares the crap out of me on the toe side.

i have found more mellow runs lately and have had alot of fun on them. the classic though her in utah is a run through campus. getting it mostly down but there its mostly sidewalk so lots of cracks you skip over. luckily lots of grass to bail on though. im finding it hard carving hard enough to keep my speed down and im carving pretty hard which brings me the question below.

ok another question...

could someone please suggest for me some bushings to put in. i believe i have the red (90a) venom bushings in my paris trucks. it feels pretty carvy but even with them all the way loose they feel a little tight. i weigh 175ish and have a flex 1 dervish

i was thinking getting the venom standard style in 85a. or maybe even the super carve in 85a or 90a.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get slide gloves and embrace the slide!
    It is the better way to scrub speed.

It is hard to beat Bones Reds for bearings.

Order of the 'Fish
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly.. sidewalks are no where near wide enough to scrub speed by carving.. At your weight you oughta be okay on theose bushings, but going to the Yellows may help a bit.. But again, carving will not slow you unless you are cutting across the fall line. and sidewalks don't allow for that. Get on a nice wide street and try to actually carve against the fall line from the very top, as to control speed before you get too much to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    Firstly.. sidewalks are no where near wide enough to scrub speed by carving.. At your weight you oughta be okay on theose bushings, but going to the Yellows may help a bit.. But again, carving will not slow you unless you are cutting across the fall line. and sidewalks don't allow for that. Get on a nice wide street and try to actually carve against the fall line from the very top, as to control speed before you get too much to begin with.

ok, thanks. i should say that the sidewalks are atleast 10-15 feet across. about one lane in length. probably not enough still. yeah i think mainly i need to just get more time on my board. the combo of not riding for a few years mixed with having to use another stance on my board because its a twin tip with drop thru (my old stance had my front foot over the truck). im sure ill get the hand of everything.

so would staying with 90a bushings but switching to the super carve work good or maybe get the 85a's and just switch the cones out? or switch all of them to 85's?

so confused

Order of the 'Fish
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go with the barrel bottom, cone top in the same duro.. or the Elims in a softer duro.. Stability at speed is increased with the broader profile of the Elims

Addicted Cruiser Dervish Nightrider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed that my Sector 9 RF 74mm 77a are slower than my Pink Big Zigs so I change set ups for the terrain I'm skating for the day. If I am going to skate the waterfront in Portland then I'll put on my faster Big Zigs. If I am going to skate some hills I'll put on my Sector 9 RF.

I ride a Dervish. I may be pushing my dervish beyond it's intended function with speeds around 25, this is not a speed board. So my next step is to get a drop board like a Rayne Nemesis or Kebbek. But this opens up a new can of worms with the notion that I might need a full face helmet with this upgrade ???

Instead of slowing your board down. Create a feeling of being more stable when riding. Either through practice or more stable set up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typical longboards are too fast for steep hills if you're trying to keep your speed under control. Get turny trucks like originals or fastracks with blue bushings and a shorter wheelbase board like a slalom, original custom 35 or timeline, and wheels that drift predictably (kryptos, powerballs). Otherwise you're fighting pretty hard something that wants to cruise and probably can't handle a straight shot either. Long wheelbase becomes very frustrating if that's what you're fighting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS