ADVERTISEMENT

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fairfield County, CT Longboarders

Quote Originally Posted by ctspirit View Post
    Weve got a pretty legit crew in Newtown
    whoah, what? I live in newtown. pm me bro. i need to hear about other kids that ride around me. thats sick!

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

theres a good about of kids that skate around ferral/glenwood in weston

Post Thanks / Like

anybody wanna ride next weekend? anywhere near newtown/danbury/bethel/use your imagination ....i really want to skate with a good group again. im willing to travel like 15 mins to skate. (thats all i can) so pm me if you want to ride in the general danbury area next weekend. not necessarily danbury, but around it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Greenwich = Awesome Hills

Quote Originally Posted by Severian_Sidewalk_Surfer View Post
    I'm from Greenwich, and I can tell you that that town's got insane hills all over, and lots of bombable back roads. Pretty much every road in town is smooth and wide. You could bomb the Post Road from the top of Greenwich Ave all the way down to Port Chester (bonus: beer distributor at bottom of hill).

Glenville (west edge of town) has got a few sick hills, check out the side roads that come in from Rye Brook. Or Byram Shore Road...so bombable, and there's a beach partway down.

Beware "duckhead" Greenwich cops asking if "you boys aren't from around here, are you?" Dress like a preppie jock and they'll leave you alone Old Greenwich (around Binney Park, down Sound Beach Ave to Tod's Point, or "Greenwich Point" as they're calling it now) is a lot more down-to-earth, good delis and pizza, people will actually talk to you.

Downtown Greenwich pretty much sucks, since the 90's (I'm from there and I can't stand it anymore...I live in New Mexico, which is Longboard Heaven).

But bombing Greenwich Ave. would be insane...if you can cross Railroad Ave safely, you'll be able to ride it out, all the way to the pier by Indian Harbor. I saw a shortboarder bomb Greenwich Ave., once; he flew past the park going, like, 35 mph, ollied onto the circular plaza in front of the Post Office, shot 'round it to shed speed, ollied a stone bench, then flew out between two parked cars onto the Ave. again. A complete madman.

He was the only guy I'd ever seen bomb the Ave., but you could totally pull it off on a longboard. Especially if you're good at sliding and managing your speed. Railroad Ave.'s got a monster hill down to the bottom of Greenwich Ave., too. Be advised that there's a cop shop half-a-block from Havemeyer Park (midway down the Ave.).

Dingletown Road is a nice bomb (and Stanwich Road's a nice cruise). Or instead of cruising south on Stanwich, you can cross it, and take Cat Rock Rd. to Old Camp Ln. to the infamous Cognewaugh Road. Cognewaugh ("Cog-knee-wog", if you ask directions) is fun but terrifying (seriously fast and curvy as hell, giant oaks growing into the edge of the road). It's probably the scariest, curviest, fastest hill you'll ever skate. From the bottom of Cognewaugh, you can take Valley Road south toward the Sound, and there's a huge pond to swim in on the left-hand side.

North Street between North Maple Ave. and Parsonage Road; there's a monster hill there (bring slide gloves, you'll need them). A double hill, really, crazy steep and fast. After Parsonage it's just flattish, all the way north to Banksville. It's worth exploring the backcountry, though.

You could have a lot of fun shredding Greenwich, especially given that (last time I went back in the summer) it seems no one hangs out in public, anymore...there's very little traffic, late at night. All the kids who should be out skating and drinking and chasing girls are staying home studying for the LSAT, I guess. No one even goes to the beach to party anymore. Weird.

I never thought I'd miss the 80's, but they were way more fun than what's going on now! The whole country turned into a goody-two-shoes, politically-correct busybody yuppie hell run by self-appointed Thought Policemen, during the 90's. No fun at all.

You guys get to be the ones who make it a cool place to live again. Skate hard! Tear it up! Wear a fine helmet! Rock on, sidewalk surfers!
    I know this was 9 months ago, but I live in Greenwich too. Old Greenwich, specifically. It is by far the chillest part of Greenwich, and I can just hop on my board and cruise into town whenever I'm hungry. Only downside is that it's flat as hell, and its at least a 20 minute cruise to any decent hills.

As for Greenwich Ave, I've heard some stories. Some of my friends claim to have bombed it, and it does seem doable. A local kid even tried to organize a group bomb a few months ago, but the thing fell apart at the last minute. Hopefully I'll give it a shot this summer with a few buddies. If the Railroad Ave light stays green, it will be perfect. If it's red and there's traffic, it's gonna take one hell of a shutdown slide. Should be fun.

Backcountry greenwich does have a few good hills, but it seems that all the great ones are busy with cars. Cognewaugh would be death, that road's barely wide enough for one car, and just one big series of blind turns.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by misleading View Post
    theres a good about of kids that skate around ******/******** in weston
    Fixed. Are you from weston?
    Clutch Skateboards

Sodatwo@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

i just got my first longboard, i skate but never really tried longboarding.

bombed one hill and was instantly hooked.

anyone around the norwalk-stamford area? need some advice on some decent hills. was thinking about checking out greenwich soon.

Addicted Cruiser Severian_Sidewalk_Surfer's Avatar
    Albuquerque, New Mexico... the City at the End of the World.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Greenwich = Awesome Hills

Quote Originally Posted by AAHF View Post
    As for Greenwich Ave, I've heard some stories. Some of my friends claim to have bombed it, and it does seem doable. A local kid even tried to organize a group bomb a few months ago, but the thing fell apart at the last minute. Hopefully I'll give it a shot this summer with a few buddies. If the Railroad Ave light stays green, it will be perfect. If it's red and there's traffic, it's gonna take one hell of a shutdown slide. Should be fun.

Backcountry greenwich does have a few good hills, but it seems that all the great ones are busy with cars. Cognewaugh would be death, that road's barely wide enough for one car, and just one big series of blind turns.
    Dude, back in high school we saw this one guy bomb Greenwich Ave. on a shortboard; we were in Havemeyer Park, smoking out, and here comes this crazy man (an ex-junkie, born-again Christian who lived at the YMCA, total Moonie but boy, could he skate!). He's flying down the Ave, hooks right, ollies the curbstone in front of the Post Office, ollies a bench, drift-carves a 25 MPH semicircle barely missing the pillars, shoots back off the sidewalk between two parked cars and disappears down a side street.

You're right, though, Cognewaugh Road would be terrifying. We used to go 40 MPH down it, laying on the roof of a friend's car with the windows open, clutching the edges of the roof on our bellies. (As you may have guessed, most of my old friends from high school are dead. Drunken coke-fueled car wrecks going 70 MPH on Round Hill Road, and such.)

But back in the 80's, Greenwich wasn't quite such a tomb, you could still get away with a lot of stuff. Beat cops would see us smoking joints and look the other way, there were huge parties at the pier next to the Yacht Club every weekend, the cops weren't Martha Stewart Nazis yet. You'd see everybody partying like crazy down at the Glenville beach, every weekend. You didn't have to be stockbroker scum to get a date. There was still a middle class, too (though I can remember being stopped by the police for jogging after sunset, a few times). You could rent a nice little bachelor apartment for $450/month, in 1988...same place would go for $1,400/month or more, now. Sad to see that's all gone now. DaVinci's Pizza was the only familiar shopfront, last time I was there.

Never thought I'd look back on the Reagan Years as a free-and-easy era, compared to the goody-goody paranoid police state we've got now.

PUNK'S NOT DEAD. SKATE HARD.

P.S.~ Best Greenwich Ave Prank Ever: My friend Eric rolled half-a-dozen bowling balls down Greenwich Avenue one moonlit summer night, then ran like hell.

Last edited by Severian_Sidewalk_Surfer; 04-07-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bichinbrasilian View Post
    i just got my first longboard, i skate but never really tried longboarding.

bombed one hill and was instantly hooked.

anyone around the norwalk-stamford area? need some advice on some decent hills. was thinking about checking out greenwich soon.
    How fast do you want to go? I live in Stamford and work in Norwalk, so I know some good spots in both towns, but I'm more of a carver/cruiser and prefer long mellow runs to steep hills. So if you're looking to go 30 or more, you probably won't be interested in the spots I hit.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah man, nice and mellow sounds right up my alley right now.

actually u've probably seen me at scalzi.

let me know. be great to meet some longboarders out there

Post Thanks / Like

I spent a lot of time at Scalzi last summer, but mostly early in the morning on weekdays. I haven’t been back since the end of summer, when I got into longboarding.

My favorite run in Stamford is straight down Strawberry Hill. From the corner of Strawberry Hill and Upland (Belltown neighborhood), it’s about 1.2 miles straight down to the Chase bank at the end of Prospect Street. The grade averages about 3.5% (varying from 0.0% in some stretches up to 7% in others), but you can make it the whole 1.2 miles without taking your feet off the board. It’s plenty wide – 3 lanes most of the way, but 4 lanes in the steepest part. Pavement is decent the whole way. At the end of the run, it’s great if you have a ride back to the top, but if not, you’re right downtown, so it’s usually pretty easy to catch a cab back to the top. That will run you about $8 or so, but I’ve had luck making a deal with the cabbie to take me 4 times for $20 or whatnot. Otherwise, it’s a 30 minute walk back to the top (I live near the top, so getting back up there is always an issue for me).

The negative is that, as you may know, Strawberry Hill is a very busy street, and therefore I only take this run very late at night (after midnight – 1:00 a.m.) on weekdays or very early in the morning (before 7 a.m. on weekends). I was thinking about making the run tonight, but it looks like it’s going to be pretty cold.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds sweet. If you go tonight I might be down, cold isn't really a factor for me LOL. How do the cops feel about u bombing the hill? Also I haven't realy figured out sliding yet. How important is it on that hill?

Anyway let me know what's up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bichinbrasilian View Post
    That sounds sweet. If you go tonight I might be down, cold isn't really a factor for me LOL. How do the cops feel about u bombing the hill? Also I haven't realy figured out sliding yet. How important is it on that hill?

Anyway let me know what's up
    Cool, I'll try to make it tonight, but it probably won't be until 12:30 or 1. I'll post here or pm you before I head over.

No need to know how to slide (I don't), but you'll want to be able to footbrake if you have to (because of cars, mostly). Cops have never been an issue for me (it's totally legal).

I gotta run, but if I can, I'll pm you my cel number.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a great night for it last night. Temperature just above 40, clear dry sky, full moon. A few too many cars out (more that I would have expected for a Wednesday -- might be spring break or something), but otherwise it was just about as perfect a night as you're going to get. Sorry we missed each other. I took one run and headed home, but hopefully you got a run of your own in.

Post Thanks / Like

Woooooohoooooo

Last night was awesome, me and some friends hit up strawberry hill in stamford for a few runs until the (incredibly friendly) police, kindly asked us to leave and come back another night.

someone apparently called in a compliant or somthing, the cops were like " we are cool with you guys skating here at night but do us a favor and cut it early today"

so anyway then we went to greenwich

2am greenwich ave..... AWESOME.

Anyone who wants to start doing some regular night runs around Fairfield county. let me know!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ATTN GREENWICH SKATERS

Quote Originally Posted by Severian_Sidewalk_Surfer View Post
    Dude, back in high school we saw this one guy bomb Greenwich Ave. on a shortboard; we were in Havemeyer Park, smoking out, and here comes this crazy man (an ex-junkie, born-again Christian who lived at the YMCA, total Moonie but boy, could he skate!). He's flying down the Ave, hooks right, ollies the curbstone in front of the Post Office, ollies a bench, drift-carves a 25 MPH semicircle barely missing the pillars, shoots back off the sidewalk between two parked cars and disappears down a side street.

You're right, though, Cognewaugh Road would be terrifying. We used to go 40 MPH down it, laying on the roof of a friend's car with the windows open, clutching the edges of the roof on our bellies. (As you may have guessed, most of my old friends from high school are dead. Drunken coke-fueled car wrecks going 70 MPH on Round Hill Road, and such.)

But back in the 80's, Greenwich wasn't quite such a tomb, you could still get away with a lot of stuff. Beat cops would see us smoking joints and look the other way, there were huge parties at the pier next to the Yacht Club every weekend, the cops weren't Martha Stewart Nazis yet. You'd see everybody partying like crazy down at the Glenville beach, every weekend. You didn't have to be stockbroker scum to get a date. There was still a middle class, too (though I can remember being stopped by the police for jogging after sunset, a few times). You could rent a nice little bachelor apartment for $450/month, in 1988...same place would go for $1,400/month or more, now. Sad to see that's all gone now. DaVinci's Pizza was the only familiar shopfront, last time I was there.

Never thought I'd look back on the Reagan Years as a free-and-easy era, compared to the goody-goody paranoid police state we've got now.

PUNK'S NOT DEAD. SKATE HARD.

P.S.~ Best Greenwich Ave Prank Ever: My friend Eric rolled half-a-dozen bowling balls down Greenwich Avenue one moonlit summer night, then ran like hell.

How are ya'll doing, just been reading this thread and decided I HAD to make an account to get in the conversation. Myself and a crew of about 3-5 others depending on the night have been tearing up a couple key routes in Greenwich, CT.

Greenwich ave after the bars get out is 100% doable, even the RR ave light is empty even if it is red and then you just turn right and you can hike up Arch street to kill speed/get back to the top. Only problem is the other night we had a run in with the lovely gents from GPD. they just told us to get lost.

Stanwich road from the blinking light at Dublin is ALLLLL downhill and smooth almost to Ranaldi's (just 1 quick uphill section). Once you hit Orchard speeds easily get into the high 20's or even 30's if your bombing.

PM/e-mail me if ANYONE is around who wants to skate, I'll be around all summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Stratford FTW.

I need people to skate with... almost nobody longboards around here.
    www.surf-rodz.com
    TBΣ - ΓK - βψ

Post Thanks / Like

this thread needs to come to life. il be home jund 7th, and im sure people wanna skate. lets do something.
    ╔═╗
    ║═╬╦╦═╦═╦═╦══╦═╦═╗
    ╠═║║║╬║╩╣╔╣║║║╬║║║
    ╚═╩═╣╔╩═╩╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

Earthwing

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be in Fairfield/weston the weekend of the 19th. So we have to get a big skate session going.
    Clutch Skateboards

Sodatwo@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Do you fairfield guys organize rides or just call each other up? I live in westport and trying to get out and about this summer, dont know anyone cause all my friends graduated college this year. I usually head down to manhattan and ride there. It would be sick to get hooked up with some riders PM me if your interested.
    Life's too short to dance with fat chicks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcrez View Post
    Do you fairfield guys organize rides or just call each other up? I live in westport and trying to get out and about this summer, dont know anyone cause all my friends graduated college this year. I usually head down to manhattan and ride there. It would be sick to get hooked up with some riders PM me if your interested.
    I live in Warren RI now but it was basically we all just got in my car and drove to some hills.
    Clutch Skateboards

Sodatwo@gmail.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS