ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Team Silverfish Order of the 'Fish EBasil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Broken Head, Broken Heart

The San Diego Reader is carrying Dorian Hargrove's story about his simple skate down the block that turned into a life-changing event. He is the survivor of a major brain injury, and his story is called,

That's a link to his story, which I'm not pasting in here because it's freshly published and fair is fair: The Reader owns the copyright. Read it and think about how Dorian didn't want to go to the hospital, that he knew he was okay and how wrong he was.

Think about how he stacked just rolling down the sidewalk and took an unlucky hit.

Think about if he was you, or your brother, or your kid.

Yeah, that's maudlin enough for now.

[Edit: Dorian has a blog about his life after TBI: Life in the Slow Lane ]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Relax, Don't Worry, Ride Your Longboard.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Broken Head, Broken Heart

Man, that's a strong story!

I do wear helmets, but wish more kids did as well.
    Sadly, many just don't get it. Hope they do before something bad happens...

Post Thanks / Like

That was a really rough read. I feel so bad for both of them.

Everyday I take a break at around 2pm and go out and skate. I live right between two middle schools and there is usually a deluge of kids and cars in the street. Half of the kids are on skateboards and not wearing a lid. Sometimes I even see their helmet attached to their bag, like they wear it while people are watching and then immediately take it off. I was young once so I guess I understand why they do it but damn I wish they would change their minds and keep their helmets on. These kids are so full of life and they are always playing around and having fun. They have no idea that in a second all that could be gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that really brings it home doesnt it? I always wear a helmet skating but i think i might start wearing one surfing shallow reefs aswell after reading that.

Post Thanks / Like

I will never not wear a helmet again. That was a touching story. Spread the word, wear your lid!
    Live fast...die faster

Post Thanks / Like

That is some story.

Wow.
    Lay Z-Boys #006

Quote Originally Posted by Mile_High_Mark View Post
    Ninja please.
    Listen to Blix.

Team Silverfish - NBS Order of the 'Fish MalakaiKingston's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil View Post
    The San Diego Reader is carrying Dorian Hargrove's story about his simple skate down the block that turned into a life-changing event. He is the survivor of a major brain injury, and his story is called,
    I need to wear my helmet everytime I skate, not just when I think I need it.

Every time.
    The sage, Longboard Buddha once said, "A tree spends 100% of its lifetime in a static environment and only after its reincarnation as a deck is it allowed to move at fast speeds...
    when allowed, the wood will give thankless service if
    allowed to flow."

-Ride-Respect-Honor-
    Ninja Bomb Squad

Capo di Tutti Posto stringtheory's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^ I was thinking the same thing.

I wear my helmet every time I go to "skate". But not on mail box or convenience store runs. I gotta start wearing my lid on those too.
    eastcoastcoreskates.com
    Questions? Contact Us
    Follow us on Twitter! ECC Twitter Follow us on Facebook! ECC Facebook

Human Popsicle I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like

agreed, and everyone should read this

The only competition in life is yourself, but be warned it loves to throw challenges in your face, just to make it a fun experience..

Post Thanks / Like

just replaced my pro tec and bought a snell approved full face after reading this. powerful. i'm telling everybody in my crew to read this.

i never skated with out a lid. this only helps to keep it on my head.

i wish him the best
    55DSL
    -ROBR-

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon this should be stickied in this forum so more people see it!

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought a mouth guard too.
    Cann0n
    _________
    the duval crew
    the ian tilmann foundation | northeast florida skateboarding alliance
    ground force olympians | phantom garage assassins | keystone heights danger riders
    duval wheels | roggs | bombsquad
    riptide bushings | caliber trucks | rey trucks
    sporting-sail | light-riser | south butt slide pucks
    pistol pete productions | lyfe headwear | sugru

I learned to fall before I learned to get back up

silverfish wiki

Post Thanks / Like

This article should be fish 101 required reading. It took me about 6 years back skating before I started wearing a helmet, now I keep one in the car with my boards. I used to still occasionly skate without one for quick casual runs. No more.

The weird thing is I played Ice hockey for 20+ years and never stepped on the ice without a helmet and mouth guard (nice call cannon).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy23 View Post
    This article should be fish 101 required reading. It took me about 6 years back skating before I started wearing a helmet, now I keep one in the car with my boards. I used to still occasionly skate without one for quick casual runs. No more.

The weird thing is I played Ice hockey for 20+ years and never stepped on the ice without a helmet and mouth guard (nice call cannon).
    Yeah, I've been ignoring the knee pads, but last sunday, I was cut off from the inside during a garage race and hit a parked car... knees got that nasty garage burn from the smooth concrete. Yum.

I encourage my crew members to all wear helmets. A few want mouth guards too.
    Cann0n
    _________
    the duval crew
    the ian tilmann foundation | northeast florida skateboarding alliance
    ground force olympians | phantom garage assassins | keystone heights danger riders
    duval wheels | roggs | bombsquad
    riptide bushings | caliber trucks | rey trucks
    sporting-sail | light-riser | south butt slide pucks
    pistol pete productions | lyfe headwear | sugru

I learned to fall before I learned to get back up

silverfish wiki

Post Thanks / Like

Helmets, wear em

Made By Satan Stickerz PM ME

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy23 View Post
    Seriously, the number of times my hockey helmet saved me from horrible injuries, I got a concussion WITH one on, and a really good one at that. Thanks for the comparison you're really dealing with the same level of risk here, and that had never occurred to me.

Up until today I wore a helmet whenever I went "skating," but after reading this article that baby is coming to class with me, to the corner store, to my neighbors, everywhere. The article really hit home that it's not just me getting a concussion because I'm an idiot, but not putting on that helmet can seriously affect everyone important in my life.
    "I think that if I can persuade one kid to put on a helmet before skating then something good will have come from my misfortune." I second getting this stickied or something so he can save some more people.

Post Thanks / Like

Design ideas:

-Helmet designed to look like it's just been in a horrible crash, but still all safety approved.. Just to make people think, damn good thing they were wearing a helmet.

-Stickers for helmets that say things like.. "Respect the dead", "Respect the dead and brain damaged", or "Dorian Hargrove". Could be in really tiny writing even.. just a reminder for the rider..
    Or just writing the reasons you wear pads on them.

-A little ring or similar somewhere on your board that's easy to clip your helmet to, so they're always together. Similarly velcroing slide gloves to the bottom of your board can be nice.

My favorite part of the article was really the reminder to appreciate what you have. It's so easy to get sidetracked by focusing on your problems, instead of making the most of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Hargrove
    The next day at rehab, a young man in his late 20s sat next to me in a wheelchair. His eyes wandered around in his eye sockets. A puffy red scar ran from his left earlobe to his left nostril. His dad flashed brightly colored objects in front of his face. Occasionally, he’d guess the right color. When he did, everyone around him cheered. He introduced himself to me later that day. His name was Chris. He asked me what had happened to me. I told him my story. He went into his. He was asleep one night when someone he didn’t know broke into his apartment and butchered him and his girlfriend with a hatchet. His girlfriend survived. He died twice that night, but each time doctors resuscitated him.

“I’m so sorry to hear that happened to you,” I said.

“It’s okay. You have to try and stay positive, and each day you see some progress. It just takes time,” he said. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I was upset that I couldn’t do long division, and this man, whose injuries seemed so much worse than mine, was telling me to stay positive. I began to think how fortunate I was to be able to walk, talk, swallow, and see.

Later that day, at a trauma checkup at Scripps, a nurse recognized me from my time in the intensive care unit. She was shocked at my present condition. She said that she and the other nurses didn’t think I would survive, let alone come out in the state I was in. That, and the conversation with Chris in rehab, made me realize how close I had come to dying. It gave me a perspective and insight that I had lacked since waking from the coma. I began to appreciate my second chance and vowed to focus on the positive and not get hung up on the negative.

Post Thanks / Like

wow, normally i dont wear a helmet unless im bombing hills or sliding... i know ill be wearing one more often now.
    When oil becomes scarce and hits $300 a barrel, we'll live in a golden age of empty roads, and free and safe longboarding and cycling

IM FIRIN MY LAZER
    O o
    /¯/____________________________________
    | --------________--------------_____---------------_____
    | - BLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    | --------¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯--------------¯¯¯¯¯---------------¯¯¯¯¯
    \_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯? ?¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Post Thanks / Like

i usually dont wear a helmet unless im gonna be bombing a hill, but after reading that, im definitely putting on a helmet anytime and every time i step on my board

That Skateboarder Guy I Support The Fish
    Addicted Cruiser
    Post Thanks / Like

I just reposted this to the UVA Longboarding site. I also reposted the Ian Tillman foundation link. I actually offered to pay for all the guys' 7$ shipping charge if they promise to wear helmets. I tried to limit it to the 2009-2010 school year, but I dunno... The main thing is that it sort of freaks me out to see these guys bomb the local hill with no pads and no helmet. One of the guys got clocked at 30mph on that hill.
    Maybe we can do a fundraiser or something to get more folks helmets and boards... Meh... whatever.
    Yup, it's been confirmed that at the company I work for, I'm officially known as "That Skateboarder Guy". I think I need a shirt or skateboard with the "That 70's Show" logo replaced by "That Skateboarder Guy".
    Want list: Better question: What DON'T I want?!?!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS