ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default how to get hit by a car

Ive been in a few accidents myself and after one tonight i figured hey, i might be able to write something about this! so here is my little write up. You can suggest, say im wrong, or what ever you want. Just thought it would be cool to try and help someone out. I give you the thing i have worked on for the past hour or so:

How to get hit by a car.

No matter how many pads you wear or how many precautions you take, you can still have an accident. This is a guide on how to deal these situations.

Step 1: Safety
    They always say safety first so why not here! Although I am no expert at getting hit by cars, I have been hit a few times. Nothing huge or going very quickly, but enough to write a little something up. My experiences have been dealing with city traffic and getting hit there in semi low speed collisions. First thing first is to try and protect yourself. People always say, as long as my board is okay every thing is good, well its hard to ride your board when you don’t have legs or control from the neck down. If you have to jump off the board and let it go under the car. You can always buy a new deck/trucks/wheels, its hard to buy back legs. Best case scenario is that your board goes under the car and it doesn’t have any damage, worst case is, you can WALK to your local shop or computer and buy or order a new setup. If you’re going at cruising speeds, nothing too fast, maybe a stroll to class, work, liquor store, or what have you, the thing that has saved me is always trying to go up rather than down. Going down could lead to all sorts of bad things, being dragged by the vehicle, going underneath it, or worse. Plus it’s hard to ignore someone when they are on the hood of your car. With that going, you should remember to try to protect the most important things, your head/neck. Do not lunge at the windshield; nobody likes broken glass in his or her eyes. Once the driver has seen you they should stop driving, if they have not they probably hit you on purpose and you have bigger problems. If you go a little distance on the car’s hood then it stops, you are not really going to stop with it. If you don’t have a helmet on watch your head and once again try and protect the important parts.

Step2: The Driver
    Whatever you do, do NOT freak out with the driver. Yes it is a little shocking getting hit especially if you are hurt, but yelling and screaming is not going to get anyone anywhere. If the driver drives off, get the license number, maybe type it in your phone if you have a bad memory, or see if anyone around you can get it down. If the driver stays, then it makes a bad situations a little better. When you go to the driver’s window, try to be calm and not confrontational. Yes they did just hit you with their car, but once again yelling and screaming doesn’t get anyone anywhere. Talk with driver, make sure that you are okay while talking with them, check under some clothes make sure you don’t have any big cuts, scrapes, or broken anything. Even if you don’t feel sore, GET DOWN THEIR INFORMATION! Even if you don’t feel it then, you might feel it later. You will feel full of adrenalin so you might not notice then. Get a name, a number, a license plate, or anything that could give you information. If the driver does not want to co-operate, then you might want to get some police intervention. Even though you might be at fault, its better to have things on record than to be left with nothing. Just remember to stay calm, and all should go well.

Step 3: Going to a doctor
    If you are hurt after any accident where it could be more than just a cut or scrape go see a doctor. This should go even if there is no car involved, taken from experience I had a broken finger for 3 months that I thought was just sprained really badly. If you have insurance there is no excuse for you not to go see a medical professional. When you get to the doctor, tell them exactly what happened, or to the best of your memory. They don’t care whose fault it was, how hot the driver was, or any unnecessary details. When there is down time when they are doing things and they are still in the room, you can small talk about those things, but it really doesn’t matter. When you get orders from your doctor, FOLLOW THEM. It sucks that you can’t skate for a week or a month, but at least after that you will be able to and leave behind all the troubles you have had. Dealing with injuries is a part of almost any sport, it may suck and you may lose some of your skill, at least you can go back, get your skill up, and build up confidence again.

Step 4: Legal Issues
    This is one place where I have not had any experience, though I will take a stab at it. When you get into the initial accident don’t talk about suing someone right there, even if they are at fault try not to be a jerk about it. Call a lawyer if you have to go to court for something like damage to their car or something like that, do not try and fight the case yourself by saying, pedestrians have the right of way or they should have seen me. Although as much as you want it to not be your fault, it is most defiantly going to be your problem, and if you are taking adult risks, you need to have adult responsibility.

This has been my little guide to being hit by a car, sparked by my recent accident. Although the optimal situation is to not get hit by a car, its could always happen. Try to be aware of your surroundings and do not take unnecessary risks. Hopefully this will help someone out and if anyone wants to add something, or say that I’m wrong about something go for it. I just have some down time and would like to help someone out.

Skate safe!

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Chin, the Man from Loaded Addicted Cruiser kjc6's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: how to get hit by a car

Good advice! Hope I don't have to use it anytime soon. The worst I've experienced is a near-bump / flailing slide puck slapping their hood on accident...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on friday a car tried to hit me.............I freaked out

Btw nice informative writeup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NiN0B View Post
    on friday a car tried to hit me.............I freaked out

Btw nice informative writeup!
    Thanks! Thats crazy about the car trying to hit you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the informative post, I'm sure it will help someone. A car swerved over a lane into oncoming traffic one day and tried to hit. I had to jump in a ditch and they just barely missed me as they drove by screaming obscene things at me in front of her two kids in the back seat. There are some crazy people out there and we all have to be on our guard about our surroundings for sure.

Moderator I Support The Fish
    Order of the 'Fish
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laws vary from locale to locale.. It depends on several circumstances as well..The saying "pedestrians have the right of way" Is mostly bunk, unless you are at a crosswalk. It is usually your responsibility not to dart in front of, run stop signs/lights, and obey all the rules of the road. Minimizing damage should be the crux of this topic.
    [FL_RIDER_93] 8:29 pm:edit: { removed due to [FL_RIDER_93] homophobia )
    #[green] 1:38 am: its not like this is my first time with him
    [Arcadium] 4:34 pm: i really dont care about the extra half inch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    Laws vary from locale to locale.. It depends on several circumstances as well..The saying "pedestrians have the right of way" Is mostly bunk, unless you are at a crosswalk. It is usually your responsibility not to dart in front of, run stop signs/lights, and obey all the rules of the road. Minimizing damage should be the crux of this topic.
    I think the thing that most people would expect is for the driver to go to extremes from all the stories that I have read. Another stereotype that people should try and leave behind. Not everyone that hits you is going to be super pissed, or even angry at all. As for the law, absolutely right. Dont expect to have too much sympathy for running a stop sign or light. Also it is good to brush up on local laws before you take the risks you are planing on taking.

True that minimizing damage is the best, im just saying that in case you cant avoid a car, or that you dont have anywhere safer to jump out of the way, this might help you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great information should help some people out.

Order of the 'Fish Crappysurfer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

" I'm not lucky, I just put myself in lucky situations..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crappysurfer View Post
    " I'm not lucky, I just put myself in lucky situations..."
    well said!

Addicted Cruiser Super Duper Dude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some good ways of getting hit are:
    pissing people off
    not paying attention (texting, yelling to the kid behind you, paying too much attention to your feet or that cool car that just drove by.... )
    not following basic traffic rules (i tend to follow a mix of pedestrian and bike laws....usually)

Quote Originally Posted by dozerdoggie View Post
    Purple is the fastest color

Gold Is Good

Voodoo Doll | Indy215s | Candies
    Old Hellcat | Crails | | 4pres

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

=] this is cool lol
    Quote Originally Posted by PAY IT FORWARD! click that little box > View Post
    Don from Loaded here.
    Have no fear, all of our boards are made by malnourished, 7-12 year olds inside a coal mine in Madagascar.
    quiver:
    EW MM ~ 42*/35* randals ~ 80a zigzags
    flexdex fat daddy ~ seismic front generic back ~ 70mm flashbacks
    home made fish deck ~ revenges ~ dbs danos wheels
    home made mini ~ 3" gfh ~ retro 70 zigzags
    some random popsicle dont remember anything on it
    custom painted deck from rodgon. (never mounted)

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS