ADVERTISEMENT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I need to learn how to slide.

I got my first longboard on the 2nd of this month, and Ive been practicing ever since. I have a problem though. I cant stop!

I tried foot braking, but I cant keep my balance when I take the other foot off and when I do get it off I dont have the right technique to stop.

So, that leaves me with 1 option. Learning to slide.

Glove assisted slides dont appeal to me much so I want to learn stand up slides. Will that be harder?

What should I practice today?

Thanks guys.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

TuTone Skateboards I Support The Fish
    Concrete Kahuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need to learn how to slide.

standers are much harder than handsdown slides. if you want to stop safely you need to learn how to footbreak before you do anything else. although it may not look steezy, it will help you get out of situations further down the line in your skating career. after you can footbreak, learn how to coleman slide which is a good way to stop yourself quickly.

all of this takes practice practice practice! don't give up and keep trying, you will need these skills in order to not hurt yourself further down the line.
    - Anton Milioti

www.tutoneskateboards.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I learned to pendy before footbreaking,wait....I still don't know how to footbrake .
    When I started longboarding I thought I will never learn how to footbrake until we were bombing a icy garage,at the top of it I did't knew how to do it,10 levels down I was footbraking with no problem.
    So yea learn to slide but still need to learn to footbrake.

The trick its to flex your knee instead of leaning to reach the floor, leaning make you lose your balance while flexing your front knee keeps your body centered and balanced(same to push hard,their improvement goes hand to hand).

1.-point your front foot frward and bend your knees shifting your weight to front.

2.-slide your back foot off your board and flex your front knee to reach the ground and apply gradual pressure to stop

3.- Don't use your toes or heel to reach the ground its kind like the middle of your sole then the whole sole like the black circle in the pic.

4.-Try at lower speed first and increase every time

5.- Most important wear a helmet and HAVE FUN!!!!!
    I drive every day by and she tries to seduce me,I can hear her sayin' "Draw pretty thane lines on my new black dress,go crazy on me, go sidewayz"
    Need help to learn to slide? don't make another thread go here

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/skateboard-sliding/147794-sliding-dummies.html

and ask for help

Post Thanks / Like

What helped me out a lot in learning and understanding different slides is to get comfortable with simple speed checks, (a frontside maneuver where you kick the back end of the board out to the side to drag the back wheels causing you to slow down). This move is best achieved by shifting most of your weight over the front truck. A little twisting motion with your hips is all you should need to kick the board sideways. Remember with any slide to distribute your weight over the wheels that won't be sliding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by enrique60033 View Post
    Lol I learned to pendy before footbreaking,wait....I still don't know how to footbrake .
    When I started longboarding I thought I will never learn how to footbrake until we were bombing a icy garage,at the top of it I did't knew how to do it,10 levels down I was footbraking with no problem.
    So yea learn to slide but still need to learn to footbrake.

The trick its to flex your knee instead of leaning to reach the floor, leaning make you lose your balance while flexing your front knee keeps your body centered and balanced(same to push hard,their improvement goes hand to hand).

1.-point your front foot frward and bend your knees shifting your weight to front.

2.-slide your back foot off your board and flex your front knee to reach the ground and apply gradual pressure to stop

3.- Don't use your toes or heel to reach the ground its kind like the middle of your sole then the whole sole like the black circle in the pic.

4.-Try at lower speed first and increase every time

5.- Most important wear a helmet and HAVE FUN!!!!!
    This is the best I have heard this explained. Thank you very much. I am still working on getting better at this myself. I wish I had asked you when I first started out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. Im about to go to the parking lot to practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by enrique60033 View Post
    Hehe thats where the hole in your shoe will appear slowly but shurly :P

Great guide though Enrique I remember when practicing my foot breaking I would try ballancing on my one foot (on the board) while rolling then putting my foot down, holding the one leg ballance for a while then putting my foot down, over and over again, seemed to help me?
    Quote Originally Posted by inluvwithsara View Post
    I ocasionaly would get mocked for riding a longboard in a park, a brave kid would approch me to mock me to my face...I would simply remove my left glove and point at my wedding band and state "After I get done skating here, I am going home to have sex with my wife, what are your cool little kids doing?"
    "No such thing as pain, it's just a distraction from getting on with it"

Post Thanks / Like

I really wanna learn standing slides.

I really love sliding on my bike, You know, breaking, and having the back wheel come out while the front tracks.
    I used to be able to do a 180 slide... I just think sliding feels amazing.

Ive not yet learned to poweslide, because the gloves tend to hurt my hand ( Ive broken my right hand three times, in three places. )

Standing slides have a lot of appeal to me.

Right now Im running kryptonic classics, I dont know if Id want to get different wheels to slide.
    http://www.facebook.com/LongboardTechnology

Post Thanks / Like

standing slides are more dangerous. it's harder to fall when you have a low center of gravity with an extension. i dont leave the house without my gloves. they are easy to make. get some work gloves and pieces of a cutting board. walmart for under 20 bucks. standing slides will get you hurt quicker, especially if you don't have the feel for sliding with a more stable stance (hands down)

careful not to pop your shoulder out of place...
    Cann0n
    _________
    the duval crew
    the ian tilmann foundation | northeast florida skateboarding alliance
    ground force olympians | phantom garage assassins | keystone heights danger riders
    duval wheels | roggs | bombsquad
    riptide bushings | caliber trucks | rey trucks
    sporting-sail | light-riser | south butt slide pucks
    pistol pete productions | lyfe headwear | sugru

I learned to fall before I learned to get back up

silverfish wiki

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes when i need to stop fast but don't want to slide i use my heel...
    "So when you see us laughing its a sign of self defense,
    a mirror for the madness that replaces common sense..."

No Gods, No Managers

GHOTI LONGBOARDS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TM_Cruzer View Post
    Sometimes when i need to stop fast but don't want to slide i use my heel...
    How do you do that?

Post Thanks / Like

1. Shift front foot as you would for normal food breaking.
    2. Continue as you would for normal footbreaking until you're about to touch your other foot down.
    3. Point toes up at a 30*-ish angle
    4. Set heel down making sure to make contact with the sole, not the corner.
    5. Bend front knee, leaning foreward and keeping center of gravity over the board designated foot, while weighting and bending other foot/leg
    6. Apply as more and more constant pressure as possible to heel to stop more quickly.

I think that's it. It's kinda confusing to type out. Just try various ways, you'll get it.
    "So when you see us laughing its a sign of self defense,
    a mirror for the madness that replaces common sense..."

No Gods, No Managers

GHOTI LONGBOARDS

Silverfish Supporting Vendor Concrete Kahuna Rich Nelson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

standers are good for shaving off speed, but after you get aboive certain speed will get pretty sketchy. if you learn to coleman, or toeside shutdown slide with a little practice you will be able to do them at any speed your able to ride at.

footbraking is also extremely important, since you won't always have a lot of room that a slide requires.

Designed, Built, and Tested by Skaters, for Skaters.
    NelsonLongboards.com

Post Thanks / Like

I forget whether it was TM or someone else, but in another thread about braking someone mentioned the toes up and touching heel first. That's when I finally started getting some foot brake action.

I carried my DC's and a board into the office today and just noticed I'm starting to wear through the soles. Breaking and pushing I guess. A small noobish victory for me.

go with Enrique and TM's pointers and you'll be doing it soon.
    Last edited by 8ftbed; 07-08-2009 at 04:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chainmaillekid View Post
    I really love sliding on my bike, You know, breaking, and having the back wheel come out while the front tracks.
    I used to be able to do a 180 slide... I just think sliding feels amazing.
    A while ago I was practicing colemans out at night and right after I pulled one off successfully, a little kid rode past me on his bike, slid his back wheel around 180 degrees, smiled at me and rode away.

But yeah, footbreaking is the way to go. And I'd still recommend learning hands-down slides before standups, or at least get some gloves so you don't scrape your hands up if you fall learning standups.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chaunce View Post
    A while ago I was practicing colemans out at night and right after I pulled one off successfully, a little kid rode past me on his bike, slid his back wheel around 180 degrees, smiled at me and rode away.

But yeah, footbreaking is the way to go. And I'd still recommend learning hands-down slides before standups, or at least get some gloves so you don't scrape your hands up if you fall learning standups.
    Well, I need to figure out how to make some gloves that dont have finger pucks. ( actually, a glove without fingers more specificly )

Ive got gloves, but they kill my hand. Its been broken a few times recently.

My hand is fine 99% of the time, Its just when wearing gloves that it hurts.
    http://www.facebook.com/LongboardTechnology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killdozer View Post
    How do you do that? (instead of sliding to stop, using heel)
    Foot break but instead of using the ball of your foot, use your heel
    Quote Originally Posted by inluvwithsara View Post
    I ocasionaly would get mocked for riding a longboard in a park, a brave kid would approch me to mock me to my face...I would simply remove my left glove and point at my wedding band and state "After I get done skating here, I am going home to have sex with my wife, what are your cool little kids doing?"
    "No such thing as pain, it's just a distraction from getting on with it"

Post Thanks / Like

Adding to the footbreak conversation (because there are times, lots of times, when there's no room,too much traffic, not enough speed or not enough slope to slide):

Think more about your board foot. The braking foot is just hanging, dead weight. Practice skating around one-footed, like someone said. Also, when you're at work/school/wherever, just practice standing on that one foot--it has to get strong in a new, different way before you can lower yourself into braking easily. At least if you're old.

After you get that, it's really the foot of the braking leg that requires finesse: feeling out the angle, judging the pressure, moving it around to avoid the burned-through spots and find fresh rubber on your sole.

I'd also say hands-down before stand-up, even if just for a little while to get an idea of the break-away points and learn what a sliding wheel feels like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrdan View Post
    Are you implying that I'm a dick?!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackantz 915 View Post
    and when did dude ever specifically refer to the male gender.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Archy View Post
    Adding to the footbreak conversation (because there are times, lots of times, when there's no room,too much traffic, not enough speed or not enough slope to slide):

Think more about your board foot. The braking foot is just hanging, dead weight. Practice skating around one-footed, like someone said. Also, when you're at work/school/wherever, just practice standing on that one foot--it has to get strong in a new, different way before you can lower yourself into braking easily. At least if you're old.

After you get that, it's really the foot of the braking leg that requires finesse: feeling out the angle, judging the pressure, moving it around to avoid the burned-through spots and find fresh rubber on your sole.

I'd also say hands-down before stand-up, even if just for a little while to get an idea of the break-away points and learn what a sliding wheel feels like.
    archy's point about the room needed to slide is totally key. no one can slide stop at a corner in the 3 feet between parked cars, and cars waiting for the light.

here's one more footbrake practice tip: go out on a moderate-steep, straight, shortish, hill and footbrake all the way down. rinse & repeat. finding the balance point and holding it for a long time (longer than you usually would in a real riding situation) helps lock it in.
    Eppur si muove!

Post Thanks / Like

yo i really want to learn the hands down slides its been bothering me ever since i got a longboard ive been watching my friends slide and i cant see to do it could you guys give me some tips or intructions?
    Jonsey

Nemesis randal 180s 50deg otang inheats

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS