ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default holding standup slides

so i am just learning how to slide and i pretty much have the rotation down for stand ups. what i want to do now is hold it loooonngggeeeerrr so i can stop if i need to or just look cool any tips? i have 76 mm 78a flywheels

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Silverfish Supporting Vendor Concrete Kahuna Rich Nelson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: holding standup slides

It sounds like you know stand up 180s, a big part of dragging them out further is to turn into the slide a bit more gradually, and push out more equally with both feet, rather then just whipping it around and kicking out the back leg. this will get all 4 wheels sliding so scrub off more speed.

Also if you haven't learned speed checks yet, a big part of them is learning out to control the boards rotation (so you can slide at 90 degrees and bring it back). so look up any speed check instructional.
    Designed, Built, and Tested by Skaters, for Skaters.
    NelsonLongboards.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon974 View Post
    push out more equally with both feet, rather then just whipping it around and kicking out the back leg. this will get all 4 wheels sliding so scrub off more speed.
    word.

If you are 180ing too quickly, do what SpeedDemon said and use all of your wheels instead of just the back ones.

If you get your board out but it hooks back up too quickly, then you need to put more pressure on your heels and sit into it a little more. When you put pressure on your toes in the middle of a speed check, you will either be pitched forward or you wheels will hook back up abruptly. When you keep the pressure on your heels you'll be able to slide to a complete stop. Which comes in handy on the reg.

MORE SHREDDED THAN A JULIAN SALAD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WizzKidd View Post
    yes.. great video. and when u want to do them fast and hold out super long standups you have to compress while your going into the carve (get low center of gravity) and then go into ur standup. compressing hard into the slide will save you from highsiding hard at speed which can equal injuries.
    F*ck Those Dudes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ub6ib9 View Post
    yes.. great video. and when u want to do them fast and hold out super long standups you have to compress while your going into the carve (get low center of gravity) and then go into ur standup. compressing hard into the slide will save you from highsiding hard at speed which can equal injuries.
    i need help with these too, i can hold them out but whenever i keep a low center of gravity i slide out and fall on my ass, and when i put more weight forward my wheels catch and i fly forward..

Takeover - 50 cals - Retro Freerides
    Topspin brick - 50/195 prandals - Fat Frees
    Hightailer - 50/180 randal/caliber hybrids - Mids
    Chopped 925 Mini - Retired

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frankyvolpefv View Post
    i need help with these too, i can hold them out but whenever i keep a low center of gravity i slide out and fall on my ass, and when i put more weight forward my wheels catch and i fly forward..
    get low buy bending your knees and having your weight still over your boards instead of leaning way back you got to play around with it a bit to find that perfect balance. if you can get a picture of yourself holding out a standie and compare where you are over your board to a pro if your icing out you'll notice your way farther back.

ADVERTISEMENT

OUR SPONSORS