ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Anyone had a Comet 'Free Spirit' 40 stolen?

Hi,

Sorry my first post isn't a nice one but just had a weird experience with some guy selling a Comet Freespirit 40 on Gumtree. Bit worried it might be stolen so figured I'd post here and see if anyone's missing a board.

Here's the add for the board

Strangely enough, there's an almost identical listing for the same board a week earlier in Thames Ditton, here

Note that there are no pics posted with either add.

I emailed the latest seller for more details and pics and entered into the following conversation:
    On 6 July 2010 23:48, <xxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hi there XXXX, you have received a reply to your Gumtree posting "Quality second-hand Longboard" (ad# 61692567) from <xxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com>:

Hello. is the board still for sale? If so, can you advise on a couple of points please:

1. Dimensions: length, wheelbase, width
    2. What trucks are on it?
    3. You say the wheels are 35mm so I'm guessing that's a typo. What size are the wheels?
    4. Can you email me some pics please?

Thanks again,
    Pete.
    ************************************************** *****************************
    On 7 Jul 2010, at 10:00, xxxx xxxxxxx wrote:

do you want to buy the board and collect it from Brighton? Wheels are indeed 35mm. It's a longboard. Google comet freespirit 40 for an overview. The ad describes it perfectly. I can't email pics easily
    ************************************************** ********************************************
    On 7 July 2010 12:34, Pete xxxxxx <xxxxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

xxxx,
    I'm a little confused here.

Nobody makes a 35mm skate wheel, unless you mean 35mm in width? That being the case, what diameter are they, e.g. distance across the round face of the wheel from edge to edge?

Also, there are no listings for this board online as it's an old model so I need you to provide a spec.
    What are the trucks (Randals, Bears, Holeys, etc.)?
    What are the dimensions: length, width?
    Concave? <okay, so I missed that>
    Is it a drop-through or top-mount, e.g. are there holes at each end to drop the trucks into rather than bolting them to the bottom of the deck?

I'm only asking what any skater would want to know.
    Also, where did you get the board and why are you selling?

Hope you can answer, as if it fits my requirements I'm very interested.

Thanks again,
    Pete.
    ************************************************** *******************************************
    He replied:
    Are you in Brighton? The deal is view it, take it for a test run, then either buy or not
    He emailed again five mins later with this:

You sound like you want me to send it to you or something.. I am not letting anyone have it without viewing it and testing it.. It is exactly as described- a very cool, compact, versatile, quality longboard. Comet are a quality make you should be aware of that. The ad says its concave. Either you can meet me in Brighton and see it, or get lost!
    My final reply:

Okay xxxx, wasn't asking you to send it - just wanted to know what I was considering coming to look at for £85. Insulting a prospective buyer ain't the best way to make a sale.

Sounds to me like you haven't got a clue what you're selling, which also makes me wonder if it's even yours to sell.

Think I'll pass, thanks.

I've blanked his name in case it's legit, but the whole thing stank all kinds of funny to me.

If it's genuine and he's a just an ignorant rude twat then this could be a good deal for someone, if you can find out what he's actually selling. If it is stolen, I hope I haven't spooked him with my last response and that you get a chance at recovering it.

Cheers for looking anyway.

Pete.

2. ADVERTISEMENT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anyone had a Comet 'Free Spirit' 40 stolen?

It's in Brighton right? He's probably a douche bag bromandude
    Longboard-Sessions.co.uk - UK Longboarding

Canterballs-Longboarding.co.uk - Shredding near Canterbury

DangerousDecks.co.uk - lifting the gloom from an increasingly restricted, post finacial-apocalypse Britain

UrsusIllustration.com - Hand painted atire est. 1984

Heretic Trucks - Question everything you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gavmck View Post
    It's in Brighton right? He's probably a douche bag bromandude
    Yep, Brighton. Got even better when he replied to my last email:
    I can and will do what I want. I didn't like your bombardment of questions and your insulting my intelligence.. telling me what a diameter means.. come on.. I'm not desperate to sell the deck at all just using it less and less. You sound like someone who buys stolen goods. I'm glad you're passing, you sound very irritating. Goodbye!

Pure class! Guess I should've been pissed off but found it quite entertaining. Takes all sorts I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you want to buy the board and collect it from Brighton? Wheels are indeed 35mm. It's a longboard. Google comet freespirit 40 for an overview. The ad describes it perfectly. I can't email pics easily
    Makes me laugh that if you do google comet freespirit 40, this thread is the top link that pops up.
    Longboard-Sessions.co.uk - UK Longboarding

Canterballs-Longboarding.co.uk - Shredding near Canterbury

DangerousDecks.co.uk - lifting the gloom from an increasingly restricted, post finacial-apocalypse Britain

UrsusIllustration.com - Hand painted atire est. 1984

Heretic Trucks - Question everything you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is funny. New organic SEO method perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiya this is now the third time I have had to type a long reply about MY deck mentioned here, and this site has somehow wiped it, so I will keep this brief.
    My ad said come for a trial skate and view deck.
    It also said I can't put pics up.
    I don't have a digi camera, can't afford one, and am heavily dyslexic, so couldn't use one.
    Your bombardment of questions seemed like you were just trying to avoid coming out to see it.. which was exactly the point of the ad. How was I to know you weren't just a timewaster?
    I'm sorry if I was a bit blunt, but please read on..

I was new to skating, loved the deck, and didn't want to see it go.The guy in the shop told me the wheels were 35mm.. I don't know where that came from
    I was working my *ss off doing 60 hour weeks in the kitchen of that pub in Thames Ditton, live in. I also had the ad in Brighton, as that's where my family home/base is.
    I was under pressure at work, needed the cash. My boss wasn't paying me.
    I was not in the mood to reply to loads of tech spec texty emailey messages about it, when if you had simply come to meet me in my split you would have found me very convivial, letting you trial the deck and chat to you for hours. You would have found a great setup, and I would have let it go cheap if you were nice to me.
    That is the whole point of gumtree.. face to face dealing.
    Would you guys care to give me your addresses? You can have mine, so I can show you the deck, the receipt, and you can call me a liar, a thief, and a 'douchebag' (wtf)!?. to my face.

You just carry on hiding behind your little text messages and keyboards all your life, not reading people's ads properly/reading into things properly, and you can carry on missing out on bargain setups.
    I am entitled to sell something how, when, and to whoever I want. You just didn't read my original ad properly, at all, and caught me at a bad time, I said sorry.. But your thread is COMPLETELY out of order and I hope it gets wiped.

Ted
    Last edited by Elzevir; 02-15-2011 at 06:09 AM.

Team Silverfish Order of the 'Fish EBasil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a bit odd, to drag this thread up after 6 months, I suppose, but "Ted's" sure done so. Right-o, lad: back to the top of the SEO. ...'aving a bit of a wobbler, eh?

You guys know this dude? He's posting emails claiming his name is "Tom" not, "Ted". His ads are gone off the linked site and I trust the board's long been sold. Hmm... maybe not.

Who's going to go skate with Tommy and smooth this all over? Gav, you nearby? Maybe a skate session is all it takes, but watch out for those 35mm race wheels....
    Relax, Don't Worry, Ride Your Longboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil View Post
    It's a bit odd, to drag this thread up after 6 months, I suppose, but "Ted's" sure done so. Right-o, lad: back to the top of the SEO. ...'aving a bit of a wobbler, eh?

You guys know this dude? He's posting emails claiming his name is "Tom" not, "Ted". His ads are gone off the linked site and I trust the board's long been sold. Hmm... maybe not.

Who's going to go skate with Tommy and smooth this all over? Gav, you nearby? Maybe a skate session is all it takes, but watch out for those 35mm race wheels....
    People have nicknames.. craaazy huh, like, tottttaly stoked, dude! Life's a waaaaave, maaaan, ride the waaaave.. Craaaazy, far out, maaaan.
    70 mm.. my mistake.
    On preloved if anyone's interested..!
    TOMMY (TED)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elzevir View Post
    People have nicknames.. craaazy huh, like, tottttaly stoked, dude! Life's a waaaaave, maaaan, ride the waaaave.. Craaaazy, far out, maaaan.
    70 mm.. my mistake.
    On preloved if anyone's interested..!
    TOMMY (TED)
    You seem pretty aggro man. Why are you so mad. Your emails did sound pretty strange. Its okay to make sure you're not buying stolen goods. You're making yourself look like a douche.